Gun to your head....TOP 5 movies of all time?

Sling Blade
Darby O'Gill and the Little People
The Good. The Bad' and the Ugly
Once Upon a Time in the West
A Beautiful Mind

Yay!! Finally somebody who's seen Sling Blade. All through that movie, I kept wondering when Billy Bob Thornton was going to make an appearance, and it wasn't until it was almost over that it dawned on me that the main character WAS HIM. Billy Bob is one of the most talented character actors in show business.

Okay, I wouldn't say that's in my top 5, though. Those would be:

Serpico
The Godfather (original, not II and III)
Forrest Gump

and two others that are just outstanding, but probably will be forever overlooked:

Notes on a Scandal
In Pursuit of Happyness

Karl: "I like the way you talk....."

Vaughan Cunningham: You always seem to be deep in thought. Tell me, what are you thinking right now?
Karl: I was thinkin', I'm gonna take me some of these taters home with me.
Vaughan Cunningham: How about before that?
Karl: Well, let me think... I was thinkin' I could use me another couple cans'o that potted meat if ya got any extree.

Karl: Some folks call it a sling blade, I call it a Kaiser blade.

Karl: "Whatd you kill Jessie fer...Whatd you kill Jessie fer!"

Why would someone put a gun to your head to ask you about your favourite movies?

Because they might think you're not gonna be honest or something.

Good point Mud. I hadn't thought of that. For example, I might have written The Godfather or a Bergman film to make me look sophisticated, but in truth I would put down Ski School II.

Ben Hur
All About Eve
Blade Runner
The Manchurian Candidate
The Searchers

Saving Private Ryan, Good Will Hunting, Godfather II, Braveheart and Platoon!

Best movies you've seen in your lifetime? ( who cares what the critics say!!:lol:)

For me................

5) A Bronx Tale

4) The Warriors

3) Beautiful Girls

2) Its a Wonderful Life

1) Platoon

Why would someone put a gun to your head to ask you about your favourite movies?

Good point Mud. I hadn't thought of that. For example, I might have written The Godfather or a Bergman film to make me look sophisticated, but in truth I would put down Ski School II.
:lol:

I don't feel I need to impress people with my tastes.

I think Avatar was a much better movie then The King's Speech, The Hurt Locker, or Slumdog Millionare.

I hate the fact that politics is running the motion picture industry.

Saving Private Ryan, Good Will Hunting, Godfather II, Braveheart and Platoon!

Best movies you've seen in your lifetime? ( who cares what the critics say!!:lol:)

For me................

5) A Bronx Tale

4) The Warriors

3) Beautiful Girls

2) Its a Wonderful Life

1) Platoon

Braveheart had some really good parts. When they executed him, that was the best part.

Saving Private Ryan started out great, then petered out.

5. Black Rain (when you realize all that is in the movie and how loved it is in Japan, it blows your mind.)
4. Blazing Saddles (It can never be remade. It's too perfect a anti-racist comedy)
3. Schindler's List (Schindler's "I could have done more!" speech is one of the best soliloquys in film.)
2. Emperor of the North Pole (A sleeper classic almost nobody's heard of)
1. Blade Runner (25 years later and it's still a monument to film making)

Honorable mentions:
Dark City (watch the Rodger Ebert commentary. It's a master's class in film study), The Matrix (for originality, Reloaded for it's philosophical depth... yes I get the Architect's speech, but not Revolutions), Cinderella Man, Princess Bride, V for Vendetta, The Godfather, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome, Runaway Train, Gosford Park, LOTR Trilogy, Big Trouble in Little China (too hip for the room), The Fog (original), The Dark Knight. Groundhog Day, Ghostbusters, Back to the Future Trilogy, Gladiator, Serenity, I, Robot, Aliens, Uncle Buck.

Last edited:
Here are my 5 all-time favorite movies in order.

1) Unforgiven (most perfect movie)
2) Forrest Gump
3) Apocalypse Now
4) The Godfather
5) Jaws

Screw it. I'll just round it down and do the Top Ten.

6) Raiders of the Lost Ark
7) Gone With the Wind
8) Wizard of Oz
9) Pulp Fiction
10) Scent of a Woman

I think Avatar was a much better movie then The King's Speech, The Hurt Locker, or Slumdog Millionare.

Avatar had a very strong political message.

The same one James Cameron has been including in all his movies (save maybe Titanic) since he did Aliens. Capitalism is bad.

Here are my 5 all-time favorite movies in order.

1) Unforgiven (most perfect movie)
2) Forrest Gump
3) Apocalypse Now
4) The Godfather
5) Jaws

Screw it. I'll just round it down and do the Top Ten.

6) Raiders of the Lost Ark
7) Gone With the Wind
8) Wizard of Oz
9) Pulp Fiction
10) Scent of a Woman

Also two of my favorites. Did you know that in Apocalypse Now, the scene in the hotel room before Captain ? began his new "assignment" where he was drunk as a skunk was real? Martin Sheen, who once had a serious alcohol problem, wasn't even supposed to be naked for the shot, but Coppola said to keep rolling. It was just too perfect.

The same one James Cameron has been including in all his movies (save maybe Titanic) since he did Aliens. Capitalism is bad.

I didn't get that it was capitalism as much as you have no right to take other lands just because you can.

I didn't get that it was capitalism as much as you have no right to take other lands just because you can.
Examples of what I mean:

Terminators: Technology and the government-industrial complex evil

Aliens: The Corp betrays others for his own selfish gains

The Abyss: Military is nuts and mankind is evil and destroying the world and deserves to be destroyed.

True Lies: The rich are only out for money and will help terrorists if it makes em enough.

Avatar: Nature good, Capitalism evil, Gaia theology and the corrupt cooperation of military and corporate greed.

And the sad part is, I like James Cameron's work. Very depressing at times.

Forum List

Back