Gun safety coarse

Luissa

Annoying Customer
Sep 7, 2008
TARDIS
What are the best options for a gun safety coarse? Through the NRA or a gun club?
It would be for a child.

What are the best options for a gun safety coarse? Through the NRA or a gun club?
It would be for a child.

Anything NRA sanctioned should be good. I would check the local NRA rep in your area and check with some of the local gun shops to see if they have someone they know of with a good reputation..

That's a good idea.
My son due to his uncle's owning guns is very interested in guns. Which I am sure is normal. I just want him to learn how to be safe.

Due to insurance issues you may have trouble finding a place depending on age of the child. I know the local range does not accept any child under 16 due to insurance issues.

Due to insurance issues you may have trouble finding a place depending on age of the child. I know the local range does not accept any child under 16 due to insurance issues.

Good to know.
I am not even sure what way I want to go. I just know my son is very interested in guns. Not in a violent way. He shot one when we visited my brother etc..

It's fun to shoot at targets. Maybe he'll become a competitive shooter.

Where I live, one reason guns are very common is because people go hunting a lot. For some people that is how they subsist. I shot a moose once and never want to kill another animal again, but if you're putting meat on the table I can't really fault it.

Not to mention self-defense. Where I live you don't even need a permit to carry a concealed weapon. We're very pro-gun in this state. But, of course, we have the bad guys just like everybody else and there is gun violence. :(

Like Templar, we usually learned gun safety from our parents. I think enrolling him in a course is a good idea, but maybe if you can't find a course his uncle can teach him?

Last edited:
It would be for a child.

I was taught basic gun safety from my father. You may have to go to your nearest NRA branch office for more details.

I don't know anything about gun safety.
I kind of hate guns, no I don't want to take away yours. Lol
I just don't like them.

But my son seems to like them, and I don't want him to disrespect them.. You could say.

It would be for a child.

the best gun safety teaching is with responsible parenting

safety is a life long issue with firearms

in addition to parenting a course is a an excellent plan

many states require a safety training certificate before a youth

can get a hunting license

lots of good folks offer training the VFW and DNR

are a couple of examples

It would be for a child.

I was taught basic gun safety from my father. You may have to go to your nearest NRA branch office for more details.

I don't know anything about gun safety.
I kind of hate guns, no I don't want to take away yours. Lol
I just don't like them.

But my son seems to like them, and I don't want him to disrespect them.. You could say.

Still think your best option is to ask local cops who they use. I would also recommend that you take an introductory course yourself, if for no other reason than to spend time with your son and give him a chance to share something he enjoys.

Be warned, you might end up deciding that guns are not all that bad.

My brother swears by the NRA. He could actually improve on their instruction, himself, having shot himself in the leg with a single action 22 revolver. He is pretty well versed by now as to what not to do....

That's a good idea.
My son due to his uncle's owning guns is very interested in guns. Which I am sure is normal. I just want him to learn how to be safe.
Google is your friend.

NRAInstructors.org - Portal for NRA certified Instructors, NRA Education and Training

Augment his lessons with parental guidance regarding targets. I would not start a child out with lessons using human silhouette targets. Big circles are great for starters...animal silhouettes next.

How old is your son?

Last edited:
Luissa, gun safety cannot be stressed enough, I am a qualified Range safety Officer on Ft Bragg, or at least i used to be.

Chances are that any gun safety course being offered in your area is NRA approved or certified. Ask around at several clubs and dealers, You'll eventually start hearing the same name or place over and over again...That's where you go...

Lesson one: There is no such thing as an unloaded weapon.......

It would be for a child.

Check with your local sporting store: the management will give you the best advice in your area.

Luissa, gun safety cannot be stressed enough, I am a qualified Range safety Officer on Ft Bragg, or at least i used to be.

Chances are that any gun safety course being offered in your area is NRA approved or certified. Ask around at several clubs and dealers, You'll eventually start hearing the same name or place over and over again...That's where you go...

Lesson one: There is no such thing as an unloaded weapon.......

Lesson two-keep your finger off the trigger until you are ready to shoot

Forum List

Back