Gun-Rights Advocates Should Fear History of Second Amendment

This isn't about "leftists", for starters. I think this is a realist issue, and any Constitutional amendment whose net effect is hurting this country needs to be reexamined. I am no scholar, but the second amendment to the constitution IS an anachronism that has become a detriment to society. And those that support it are admirable but they are ignoring the obvious harm firearms are doing over the fictional or romantic aura they were given by our forefathers.

How is honest citizens owning guns a detriment to society?

Someone wrote "I saw a movie where only police and military had guns. It was called "Schindler's List."

Hmmmm......... Nancy Lanza was an honest citizen, wasn't she? And how did this honest citizen owning guns harm anybody?

Now Missiorian posted right on this board an account of buying a Bushmaster in a parking lot with no questions asked. And he is hardly a supporter of gun control laws.

Law abiding folks free of serious mental illness owning guns are not a detriment to society. Most people that are shot are the victims of criminals, the mentally ill, or accidents. It seems to me the solution is fairly simple. Deny gun ownership to criminals or the mentally ill and require gun safety training to anyone that purchases a gun. This may require new laws or just enforcing the ones we have.

Criminals and the mentally ill are already barred from owning guns. Requiring safety training is no solution. People who are irresponsible are irresponsible. A training class will make no difference.
About half the guns sales are completed with no background check so the law is not enforced.

If you are speaking about private sales then no background check is required in most places. So no law is being broken.

In TN to get a handgun carry permit you need an 8hr class and have to pass both a written and practical test. In Indiana you go to the sheriff's dept, fill out a form, pass the background check and they issue you one. Guess which state has higher incidences of crimes committed by permit holders.
Right, they are about equal.

Forum List

Back