Gun question

Tell me what you think. Is a pistol with a fully loaded magazine locked in place but no round in the chamber considered loaded? I say no, it's unloaded.

In my mind it’s loaded but it’s a loaded rock, not a gun. Why anyone would carry a gun without a round in the chamber totally bewilders me. The same with manual safeties. ANYTHING that slows down my ability to put the gun into action is something I’m going to avoid like the plague.
Good points. Our gunny used to say.... After your M-16 jams, and it will, all you have is a 7.5 pound club

-Geaux

I do a lot of shooting. I am around a lot of people that shoot firearms. I am a Certified Firearms Instructor and Certified Range Officer. I did some contract work to teach The Sheriff Department use an AR. I have worked to train Law Enforcement on pistol reaction shooting.

I don't consider myself a firearms expert but I do know more than most people.

My opinion is that most people are too inexperienced and don't have enough range time or training to safety carry a firearm, no less have one with a bullet in the chamber and ready to fire with a squeeze of the trigger.

It takes a lot of training to become proficient in the use of firearms. It also takes a lot of practice.

What people think they are capable of doing and what they are actually capable of doing when it comes to firearms are two different things. It comes from watching the Hollywood depiction of forearm use.

An inexperienced or poorly trained individual is far more likely to have an accidental discharge than they are to efficiently use a firearm in a stressful encounter.

If you are well trained then your finger can become your safety. If you are not well trained then then you had better have some mechanical barrier between you and an accidental discharge or else, "kid you are going to shoot your eye out".

I do a lot of shooting. I am around a lot of people that shoot firearms. I am a Certified Firearms Instructor and Certified Range Officer. I did some contract work to teach The Sheriff Department use an AR. I have worked to train Law Enforcement on pistol reaction shooting.

My opinion is that most people are too inexperienced and don't have enough range time or training to safety carry a firearm, no less have one with a bullet in the chamber and ready to fire with a squeeze of the trigger.

It takes a lot of training to become proficient in the use of firearms. It also takes a lot of practice.

What people think they are capable of doing and what they are actually capable of doing when it comes to firearms are two different things. It comes from watching the Hollywood depiction of forearm use.

An inexperienced or poorly trained individual is far more likely to have an accidental discharge than they are to efficiently use a firearm in a stressful encounter.

If you are well trained then your finger can become your safety. If you are not well trained then then you had better have some mechanical barrier between you and an accidental discharge or else, "kid you are going to shoot your eye out".

According to the gun nuts here, none of that is true. The constitution made everybody competent to be armed 24/7 in every situation from a baby christening to full combat. Watching any two movies that star either John Wayne, Clint Eastwood, or Charles Bronson makes you a sharpshooter.

According to the gun nuts here, none of that is true. The constitution made everybody competent to be armed 24/7 in every situation from a baby christening to full combat. Watching any two movies that star either John Wayne, Clint Eastwood, or Charles Bronson makes you a sharpshooter.

According to the stupid Moon Bats that post on here there shouldn't even be a right to keep and bear arms.

The Second Amendment does not require permission nor it does not have a proficiency criteria. It is the right of all Americans, much to the dismay of the idiotic Liberals.

How about watching movies with Denzell Washington, Will Smith and Lou Gossett?

-Geaux

Unloaded.
Thank you. I wasn't trying to start a huge off topic debate, I just wanted to know if people see a pistol with a loaded mag but an empty chamber as loaded or unloaded. That is all. For the record I see no point in carrying an chambered pistol if carrying for defense.

If you ever need to use a gun for self defense, you need it to function NOW.

If you ever need to use a gun for self defense, you need it to function NOW.
I have a friend that always carried his pistol with an empty chamber. One day we went shooting and I asked him why he carried an unloaded gun. He just laughed, and then I grabbed his free arm, the one not holding the gun, and said shoot me before I stab you. He changed his mind.

Tell what you think. Is a pistol with a fully loaded magazine locked in place but no round in the chamber considered loaded? I say no, it's unloaded.
I keep a round chambered because in a seconds notice you dont have the time to pull that action and have it ready. Here is a video proving it.

Yes, but that is not what I asked.

It's loaded.

an unloaded gun has no magazine engaged or an empty magazine

Tell what you think. Is a pistol with a fully loaded magazine locked in place but no round in the chamber considered loaded? I say no, it's unloaded.
I keep a round chambered because in a seconds notice you dont have the time to pull that action and have it ready. Here is a video proving it.

The POLICE will consider the weapon loaded whether the bullet is chambered or not, if that is what you are referring to?

No, I am asking if in general, people say a gun is loaded even though it has no round in the chamber.

Is a revolver unloaded if the hammer is resting on an empty chamber?

The POLICE will consider the weapon loaded whether the bullet is chambered or not, if that is what you are referring to?

No, I am asking if in general, people say a gun is loaded even though it has no round in the chamber.

It's loaded because it's a totally different king of gun that you do not have to perform the loading of the chamber before firing it by pulling the trigger.

It's loaded because it's a totally different king of gun that you do not have to perform the loading of the chamber before firing it by pulling the trigger.

Not if the revolver is single action

I think the cops would disagree.
an unloaded gun has no ammunition.

Uncocked and unloaded are 2 completely different things

I have a friend that always carried his pistol with an empty chamber. One day we went shooting and I asked him why he carried an unloaded gun. He just laughed, and then I grabbed his free arm, the one not holding the gun, and said shoot me before I stab you. He changed his mind.

Exactly. Why put yourself at a disadvantage.

Not if the revolver is single action

I think the cops would disagree.
an unloaded gun has no ammunition.

Uncocked and unloaded are 2 completely different things
I know the cops would consider it loaded. Simply stated you cannot fire a pistol that does not have a round in the chamber by simply pulling the trigger like you can on a DA revolver. I have a pistol that will fire DA and SA. With an empty chamber and a full mag it will dry fire over and over. Anyway, take care.

Tell me what you think. Is a pistol with a fully loaded magazine locked in place but no round in the chamber considered loaded? I say no, it's unloaded.

You said it yourself. The magazine was full loaded. So that is a loaded gun (able to fire). It just wasn't loaded and chambered (ready to fire).

Exactly. Why put yourself at a disadvantage.[/QUOTE]
If it was a double action revolver it doesn't matter

Exactly. Why put yourself at a disadvantage.
If it was a double action revolver it doesn't matter[/QUOTE]
That's right but all I am talking about are pistols.

New Topics

Forum List

Back