Gun question

miketx

Diamond Member
Dec 25, 2015
Tell me what you think. Is a pistol with a fully loaded magazine locked in place but no round in the chamber considered loaded? I say no, it's unloaded.

Last edited:
Tell what you think. Is a pistol with a fully loaded magazine locked in place but no round in the chamber considered loaded? I say no, it's unloaded.
Did you get busted for truck hunting again?

Tell what you think. Is a pistol with a fully loaded magazine locked in place but no round in the chamber considered loaded? I say no, it's unloaded.
I keep a round chambered because in a seconds notice you dont have the time to pull that action and have it ready. Here is a video proving it.

• Banned
I keep a round chambered because in a seconds notice you dont have the time to pull that action and have it ready. Here is a video proving it.

Yes, but that is not what I asked.

My police friends say yes but some of them said no. So it depends on the individual making the determination. Now my six shooter is always loaded so that makes it easy to know what anyone would think.

Tell me what you think. Is a pistol with a fully loaded magazine locked in place but no round in the chamber considered loaded? I say no, it's unloaded.
It is arguable, keep a revolver and remove all doubt.

The POLICE will consider the weapon loaded whether the bullet is chambered or not, if that is what you are referring to?

The POLICE will consider the weapon loaded whether the bullet is chambered or not, if that is what you are referring to?

No, I am asking if in general, people say a gun is loaded even though it has no round in the chamber.

Unloaded—technically. However, most any kid these days knows how to drop and check a mag, work the slide but not necessarily the safety, thanks to shooter video games.

Untitled-1.jpg

:113:

If you want to get technical (and who doesn't) it's not about loading, it's about readiness. How 'ready' is your firearm to engage a target. That readiness is stated in Conditions.

Condition 0 - magazine in, round chambered, hammer cocked, safety off(if fitted)

Condition 1 - same as above with safety on(many duty firearms have no such condition)

Condition 2 - magazine in, round chambered, hammer forward -- this is the normal carry for a revolver as well as a SAP.

Condition 3 - magazine in, no round chambered, hammer forward

Condition 4 - no magazine in, no round chambered, hammer forward

I would submit a sixth category, identical to condition 4 but with a flag in the barrel indicating chamber clear and which prevents the slide from engaging forward. This is how my firearm is stored.

No, I am asking if in general, people say a gun is loaded even though it has no round in the chamber.

Yes, it is loaded.

Think of it this way, the old Colt single actions were unsafe to carry with 6 rounds in them. So they were usually carried with an empty chamber under the hammer. If a semi-auto with a full magazine and no cartridge in the chamber is unloaded, then so is a single action revolver with an empty chamber under the hammer.

Or another way to look at it, if you need to use the aemi-auto, do you have to load it? Or just chamber a round?

Yes, it is loaded.

Think of it this way, the old Colt single actions were unsafe to carry with 6 rounds in them. So they were usually carried with an empty chamber under the hammer. If a semi-auto with a full magazine and no cartridge in the chamber is unloaded, then so is a single action revolver with an empty chamber under the hammer.

Or another way to look at it, if you need to use the aemi-auto, do you have to load it? Or just chamber a round?

No, all you have to do to shoot the s/a revolver is cock the hammer and pull the trigger. So it is loaded. Not the pistol.

New Topics

Forum List

Back