Gun people

sten? gun?

my weapon of choice....bic lighter...can of hair spray....just cause there are instructions on the net...doesnt mean everyone can do it....

Targets, you understand. Perhaps birds. Not people. Don't let me put that into that multi-colored brainpan.

Aaaw shucks ... I was looking forward to the bigger game. :razz:

I'm a blade and archery person, there is something about "silent but deadly" that got me hooked on them. Well trained in martial arts, so the blades just added more to what I already know. But for the archery, there is something about being able to build the weapon "on the fly" and the sport of it all. As I said, I understand how guns benefit most people, I just never needed them or enjoyed them. I fired a couple (22's, one rifle one pistol) but always go back to basics.

KK,

I used to be a real fan of throwing knives and throwing hatchets.

Guess that means (by my own definition) that I was some kind of blade queer, eh?

I've migrated to throwing darts for entertainment.

But if I ever decide to become an assassin, I expect I'd have to be one of those silent but deadly types, too.

My condolences BB. I am also an Illinois resident who grew up in Oak Park and lived many years in Chicago. As far as I know the FOID is limited to Illinois although some other states may have some similar type of card. A few posters mention talking to the people at your gun store of choice and I very much agree. There are a few things I would like to point out, first in Illinois the background check results in a database record with the IL State Police. This was a condition was pushed through by the disgraced Governor Blagovich under the pretext of the "Patriot" Laws which Ashcroft passed the buck to the DOJ and defacto registration exists in Illinois.

Another factor you must consider is the variance of laws from county to county with Cook or better yet Crook county being the most restrictive. The laws in Cook County maybe very difficult to confirm since laws seen to be on the books that have not gone through the legislative process but hey many influential politicians prefer this type rule. A resident of say Chicago can purchase an "assault style weapon" or a pistol but there are legal risks for keeping that weapon in your home. Many are taken to friends house or a cottage in another state. The State Police are not supposed to release information to local law enforcement except under specific conditions, for instance but by no means limited to, if the owner is charged with a felony.

If you need any more clarification I will try to check back soon but I would also point out that a .22 is alot of fun a good caliber to start with and the cost of of ammo is relatively cheap. I love the .22 even tough I have many calibers and am a faily experienced shooter. You may have a hard time finding an outdoor range and a move to another state was a good suggestion also. I hope you stick with marksmanship and eventually become an NRA and ISRA member.

In anticipation of obtaining my FOID card, I've been strolling around the internet doing a little research on CIVILIAN LEGAL Assault rifles, the only hard part is finding out which rifles are legal or not.

Anyone have any useful information for me?

Specifically, I cant find SHIT on whether this one is legal for me to own:

SIG SG 550 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And yeah yeah, I need to find a good site where I can look up the damn laws for myself, but again, I'm having trouble finding one of those, that is user friendly.

Any help would be appreciated.
Try this

AR57

I bought a SKS before the Clinton ban. got it for 140.00. not a bad gun I use it for plinking around or as my short gun under 100 yards when I am in the woods. Got many deer with this rifle, shot a real nice ten pointer a few years ago with this gun. for longer shots I use my ruger 7 mill mag orr my rem 30-06 semi, Can't wait for opening day running out of venison steaks and burger meat. Need more jerky all out!!!

My condolences BB. I am also an Illinois resident who grew up in Oak Park and lived many years in Chicago. As far as I know the FOID is limited to Illinois although some other states may have some similar type of card. A few posters mention talking to the people at your gun store of choice and I very much agree. There are a few things I would like to point out, first in Illinois the background check results in a database record with the IL State Police. This was a condition was pushed through by the disgraced Governor Blagovich under the pretext of the "Patriot" Laws which Ashcroft passed the buck to the DOJ and defacto registration exists in Illinois.

Another factor you must consider is the variance of laws from county to county with Cook or better yet Crook county being the most restrictive. The laws in Cook County maybe very difficult to confirm since laws seen to be on the books that have not gone through the legislative process but hey many influential politicians prefer this type rule. A resident of say Chicago can purchase an "assault style weapon" or a pistol but there are legal risks for keeping that weapon in your home. Many are taken to friends house or a cottage in another state. The State Police are not supposed to release information to local law enforcement except under specific conditions, for instance but by no means limited to, if the owner is charged with a felony.

If you need any more clarification I will try to check back soon but I would also point out that a .22 is alot of fun a good caliber to start with and the cost of of ammo is relatively cheap. I love the .22 even tough I have many calibers and am a faily experienced shooter. You may have a hard time finding an outdoor range and a move to another state was a good suggestion also. I hope you stick with marksmanship and eventually become an NRA and ISRA member.

Sorry for the late reply.

Thanks for the "IL info"....in this state, as you know, its hard as hell to figure out what excatly is legal and whats not. Though Crook County, I'm sure, is the most difficult.

As far as the .22 goes, been there and done that. About the only use I have for the ol 22 is target and varmit shooting.

Range is no prob, I'm lucky in the fact that my family owns about 300 acres of land here in Central Illinois. Not alot of flat ground (more than 250-300 yards) but I would gather that its enough to be a better shot than your average Joe off the street.

Had a couple year memberships with the NRA as B-day presents from the Pops. Looked into a lifetime membership, but its too damn expensive for me at the moment.

Thanks for the reply

I bought a SKS before the Clinton ban. got it for 140.00. not a bad gun I use it for plinking around or as my short gun under 100 yards when I am in the woods. Got many deer with this rifle, shot a real nice ten pointer a few years ago with this gun. for longer shots I use my ruger 7 mill mag orr my rem 30-06 semi, Can't wait for opening day running out of venison steaks and burger meat. Need more jerky all out!!!

I bought my Russian SKS in 1990 at a gun show for $75. It is still in very good condition. Here is Michigan we have most of our deer hunting shots in the woods at 100 yards or less. It is not very often that I have terrain where I have clear line of fire for 400 yards. I love the SKS for such short range shooting. The 7.62 X 39 ammo is still pretty cheap at gun shows as well.

Got some at Cabela's 1000 rds for 100 bucks or so, look around you can get it cheaper. a 22 is the beat for plinking around.I have a ruger 10-22 great starter gunshoots good and is pretty cheap

Forum List

Back