Gun people

brewerboy

May 24, 2009
Central Illinois
In anticipation of obtaining my FOID card, I've been strolling around the internet doing a little research on CIVILIAN LEGAL Assault rifles, the only hard part is finding out which rifles are legal or not.

Anyone have any useful information for me?

Specifically, I cant find SHIT on whether this one is legal for me to own:

SIG SG 550 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And yeah yeah, I need to find a good site where I can look up the damn laws for myself, but again, I'm having trouble finding one of those, that is user friendly.

Any help would be appreciated.

States will vary on this ... and I don't know yours well enough.

Yeah, I think what its gonna come down to is waltzing into a gun-shop and having a low-key conversation with a dealer.

I'm looking for something halfway affordable in terms of the actual weapon, ammo, and magazinesl. Its gonna be awhile before I find that one right purchase I suppose.

:confused:

States will vary on this ... and I don't know yours well enough.

Yeah, I think what its gonna come down to is waltzing into a gun-shop and having a low-key conversation with a dealer.

I'm looking for something halfway affordable in terms of the actual weapon, ammo, and magazinesl. Its gonna be awhile before I find that one right purchase I suppose.

:confused:

That i have no idea, while I know a bit about (and support the right to) gun ownership, I have never owned my own.

Targets, you understand. Perhaps birds. Not people. Don't let me put that into that multi-colored brainpan.

In anticipation of obtaining my FOID card, I've been strolling around the internet doing a little research on CIVILIAN LEGAL Assault rifles, the only hard part is finding out which rifles are legal or not.

And yeah yeah, I need to find a good site where I can look up the damn laws for myself, but again, I'm having trouble finding one of those, that is user friendly.

here, section 29-49 deals with assault weapons, but you should probably talk to a knowledgeable dealer as well.

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/statelaws/26thedition/illinois.pdf

Targets, you understand. Perhaps birds. Not people. Don't let me put that into that multi-colored brainpan.

Aaaw shucks ... I was looking forward to the bigger game. :razz:

I'm a blade and archery person, there is something about "silent but deadly" that got me hooked on them. Well trained in martial arts, so the blades just added more to what I already know. But for the archery, there is something about being able to build the weapon "on the fly" and the sport of it all. As I said, I understand how guns benefit most people, I just never needed them or enjoyed them. I fired a couple (22's, one rifle one pistol) but always go back to basics.

here, section 29-49 deals with assault weapons, but you should probably talk to a knowledgeable dealer as well.

I apprciate the info Del.

Illinois sucks! Due to the long list of rifles mentioned, I had to scratch a weapon or two off my list, and now I have to go through the rest and make sure they dont have a bayonet mount, flash suppresor etc.

Its a good thing my dad and grandpa were both lawyers and have many lawyer friends in the area, I think its time to call one up and have a chat tomorrow.

Illinois sucks!

Missouri is right around the corner.
missourF.gif

brewerboy - I live in northwestern Illinois. Why don't you just go down to your local gun shop and have a chat with the folks down there over a cup of coffee... They'll give you all the details heads up with no run around. Did you check out the Bushmaster AR-15? I used one of those on my last job for nearly 10 years. Great gun. Easy to shoot and maintain. Pretty rugged and durable. They are legal in Illinois.

Illinois sucks! Due to the long list of rifles mentioned, I had to scratch a weapon or two off my list, and now I have to go through the rest and make sure they dont have a bayonet mount, flash suppresor etc.

Its a good thing my dad and grandpa were both lawyers and have many lawyer friends in the area, I think its time to call one up and have a chat tomorrow.

Ya cause we read about those damn drive by bayoneting all the time. And people being beat to death with those flash suppressors. By the way did you know detachable magazines is also considered part of an "assault" weapon.

By the way you can legally fight those restrictions. The Supreme Court RULED in 39 that in order for a weapon to be COVERED by the 2nd Amendment it MUST be of a use or in use by the military. Assault weapon bans are unconstitutional.

brewerboy - I live in northwestern Illinois. Why don't you just go down to your local gun shop and have a chat with the folks down there over a cup of coffee... They'll give you all the details heads up with no run around. Did you check out the Bushmaster AR-15? I used one of those on my last job for nearly 10 years. Great gun. Easy to shoot and maintain. Pretty rugged and durable. They are legal in Illinois.

Thanks for the info BBD. I'll defintely look into the Bushmaster.

Heading to the gunshop tomorrow! I'm like a kid in a candystore :tongue:

To begin with, since true assault rifles are capable of fully automatic fire, you would need to obtain a class 3 license from the BATF, but if you only want to purchase a semi-automatic look alike, the laws varry from state to state.

Machine shop + some education + blueprints....

This is another red herring from the anti-gun crowd.

The truth of the matter is the level of education you would need to convert a semi-automatic into a fully automatic weapon would require the same gunsmithing knowledge and skill...(i.e. machining all the parts perfectly from scratch and perfectly milling and drilling the receiver for the autoseer)...to allow a person to build a machine gun from scratch that would be significantly more functional and far easier than converting a semi-auto.

And now you know 'the rest of the story".

Last edited:

Ya cause we read about those damn drive by bayoneting all the time. And people being beat to death with those flash suppressors. By the way did you know detachable magazines is also considered part of an "assault" weapon.

By the way you can legally fight those restrictions. The Supreme Court RULED in 39 that in order for a weapon to be COVERED by the 2nd Amendment it MUST be of a use or in use by the military. Assault weapon bans are unconstitutional.

Well, after eight years of Bush, I am in full agreement that American Citizens should be able to own anything right up to twin 50s. As for my own guns, I have only hunting guns, and replicas of black powder weopons in my home.

Machine shop + some education + blueprints....

This is another red herring from the anti-gun crowd.

The truth of the matter is the level of education you would need to convert a semi-automatic into a fully automatic weapon would require the same gunsmithing knowledge and skill...(i.e. machining all the parts perfectly from scratch and perfectly milling and drilling the receiver for the autoseer)...to allow a person to build a machine gun from scratch that would be significantly more functional and far easier than converting a semi-auto.

And now you know 'the rest of the story".

Sten gun.

Forum List

Back