Gun Ownership / Laws Discussion & Debate

Hey... Sorry I'm late to the party. I am fine with sporting weapons and handguns.

But I feel that for Assault weapons, Automatic weapons, and military grade weaponry(RPG's, etc), the individual wanting to purchase such items should have to have a special license to do so. The requirements of that special license would entail stricter guidelines than what is required for a regular weapon. It should include psychiatric evaluations and and extensive background check.

That's not saying that you can't own them, but you have to jump through the hoops.

As far as current waiting periods go? eh... i can see both sides of the issue. I have 8 various guns in my home now in a gun safe. If I purchase another one... I don't care if I have to wait 10 days(the longest waiting period I have seen on a cursory look). I live in PA, where it's 48 hours. There's no reason why I NEED a gun immediately.

Lastly.. I made it known that I keep my weapons in a gun safe purposely. I'm sorry, I don't believe that there is a horde of invaders waiting to break into my house, rape and kill my wife and daughter while I watch and then shoot me. Not to say that it never happens, but you probably have a better chance of getting bit by a shark.

As far as our government goes? I worry more about the Tea Party deciding that government is being tyrannical and needs to be overthrown because we have Social Security and Medicare than I do with the government actually becoming tyrannical.

Dude, you seem to think that you are talking to a person who is not familiar with firearms. I don't give a shit what they "look" like. It's what their capabilities are that matter. You can have a "scary black" .22, and it's still a .22. in short, fuck off.

LOL Always an uptight bitch.

Define assault weapon.............

to me, an assault weapon is one that is designed for military use that has the capability of switching from semi-automatic use to fully automatic.

All automatic weapons are already highly regulated.

The public cannot just walk into a gun store and buy an automatic weapon.

See the National Firearms act of 1934.
...before a private citizen may take possession of a fully-automatic firearm he must pay a $200 tax to the Internal Revenue Service and be approved by the Treasury Department to own the firearm, which is registered to the owner with the federal government.

No exceptions...if a firearm has the capability to fire more than one round per trigger pull, a citizen must submit to an investigation by the Treasury Department which includes a photograph and fingerprints plus an extensive background check.

Last edited:
Hey... Sorry I'm late to the party. I am fine with sporting weapons and handguns.

But I feel that for Assault weapons, Automatic weapons, and military grade weaponry(RPG's, etc), the individual wanting to purchase such items should have to have a special license to do so. The requirements of that special license would entail stricter guidelines than what is required for a regular weapon. It should include psychiatric evaluations and and extensive background check.

I just don't understand the lefts obsession with "assault weapons".

You are obviously familiar with firearms.

So you know that a so called "assault weapon" operates no differently than a semi-automatic handgun.

So why would you approve of one, but oppose the other?

[youtube]YjM9fcEzSJ0[/youtube]

Calm down Steelplate is one of us, he just doesn't realize it yet.:lol:
No one can have that many firearms and not be willing to defend them

Cool as a cucumber.

Just clearing up a misconception.

The Clinton Assault Weapon Ban was PRIMARILY AIMED at banning semi-automatics.

Not a single automatic weapon was affected.

Why, you may ask?

Because the definition used by Congress specifically in regard to the AWB was...
Assault weapon refers primarily (but not exclusively) to firearms that had been developed from earlier fully automatic firearms into semi-automatic civilian-legal versions. Semi-automatic firearms, when fired, automatically extract the spent cartridge casing and load the next cartridge into the chamber, ready to fire again; they do not fire automatically like a machine gun, rather, only 1 round is fired with each trigger pull.

(Note: there are differing definitions of 'assault weapon' that are listed at Assault weapon. This page refers to the usage in the United States under the previous and proposed assault weapon bans.)

Last edited:
I just don't understand the lefts obsession with "assault weapons".

You are obviously familiar with firearms.

So you know that a so called "assault weapon" operates no differently than a semi-automatic handgun.

So why would you approve of one, but oppose the other?

[youtube]YjM9fcEzSJ0[/youtube]

Calm down Steelplate is one of us, he just doesn't realize it yet.:lol:
No one can have that many firearms and not be willing to defend them

Cool as a cucumber.

Just clearing up a misconception.

The Clinton Assault Weapon Ban was EXCLUSIVE to semi-automatics.

Not a single automatic weapon was affected.

Why, you may ask?

Because the definition used by Congress specifically in regard to the AWB was...
Assault weapon refers primarily (but not exclusively) to firearms that had been developed from earlier fully automatic firearms into semi-automatic civilian-legal versions. Semi-automatic firearms, when fired, automatically extract the spent cartridge casing and load the next cartridge into the chamber, ready to fire again; they do not fire automatically like a machine gun, rather, only 1 round is fired with each trigger pull.

(Note: there are differing definitions of 'assault weapon' that are listed at Assault weapon. This page refers to the usage in the United States under the previous and proposed assault weapon bans.)

Clinton gun ban should have been over turned by the superme court because of two previous Superme court rulings
Miller vs. U.S. 1939 and Lewis vs. U.S. 1980 which both courts ruled that the only weapons protected by the second amendment are those of military grade, and had to be owned by the one carrying them.

Never heard of them... looked them up. Seem pretty cool. Always just bought the Cheapies..CCI, PMC, Federal. Maybe I'll try some sometime.

Sweet, how does she shoot?

Shoots fine...I'm not a real good pistol shooter though, that's why I bought the judge... for the .410 shells...although, I'm having a little bit of buyer's remorse with that. Seems as though you have to be pretty much on top of your target with the shot shells. The Ruger, I actually kind of won in a gun raffle. I actually won a Marlin .444, but I traded it in even up for the Super Blackhawk at the gun shop that was supplying the guns for the raffle. The Blackhawk was used... the Marlin was new... but I was young. I figured I probably got ripped off.

No, I am more of a rifle/shotgun guy. I am also pretty accurate with a bow(compound..don't have the quick focus to do recurve very well)

Sweet, how does she shoot?

Shoots fine...I'm not a real good pistol shooter though, that's why I bought the judge... for the .410 shells...although, I'm having a little bit of buyer's remorse with that. Seems as though you have to be pretty much on top of your target with the shot shells. The Ruger, I actually kind of won in a gun raffle. I actually won a Marlin .444, but I traded it in even up for the Super Blackhawk at the gun shop that was supplying the guns for the raffle. The Blackhawk was used... the Marlin was new... but I was young. I figured I probably got ripped off.

No, I am more of a rifle/shotgun guy. I am also pretty accurate with a bow(compound..don't have the quick focus to do recurve very well)

You can only become good and proficant with practice. With a revolver you can shoot almost any kind of round and she won't bitch about it. They are nothing like the semi automatic some will bitch and put up a fit with certain manufactures and do fine with other.

I really don't think you got taken on the trade as far as price is the blackhawk cost from 400.00 to 600.00 and the .444 around 400.00 TO 500.00 but it all depends on what you're looking for.
You'll find some people will swear by the marlin as the best thing in the world and some people wouldn't take anything for their Blackhawk. ALL THAT COUNTS IS HOW DO YOU LIKE IT?

"BUt statistics have shown a gun in the home is 43 times more likely to kill a family member than a bad guy - suicides, arguments and accidents."

Link?

Its a common parroted theme from the brady bunch.

Actually, it was called the Kellerman Study, and it found that in Seattle Washington, for every case of an intruder being killed by a homeowner, there were 39 suicides, 3 accidents and 1 domestic murder. Kellerman moved his study to other cities and got similar results.

Arthur Kellermann - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

NOw, all that said, I don't think Government should take away anyone's guns unless they've proven themselves irresponsible. i just don't buy into the myth that your gun makes you safe from the bands of roving barbarians some of you think are rampaging across the landscape.

Stirring around statistics like these,claiming some empirical fact about gun ownership vs death,using the same pretzel logic,cars bikes,and ham sandwiches should really get people upset.

Forum List

Back