Gun owners assert ultimate goal is to "ban tactical style rifles", Run on AR-15 ammo

Are supporters of Obama's Ammo Grab Enemies of the Constitution?

• Total voters
About once a week, someone somewhere on our planet gets attacked by a shark. Of those, maybe one attack a year is fatal.

You never hear about these attacks until there is a particularly bad attack, such as a 9 year old surfer losing an arm.

After a sensational shark attack, every shark attack for weeks afterward makes the news, giving the impression that sharks have suddenly gone crazy when the reality is that reporting of the attacks is on the rise. Because of the elevated attention toward shark attacks, people then become irrationally afraid of being attacked and killed by a shark.

This phenomenon is not unique to shark attacks, but I like to call the residual sensationalism which follows some dramatic event "shark attack stories". A celebrity runs into a tree while skiing and dies, ski accidents become the stories du juor for weeks afterward.

Just so with the AR-15. After it was reported that Adam Lanza had used an AR-15 at Sandy Hook, and that James Holmes had used an AR-15 in the Colorado Springs shooting, the AR-15 became a shark attack story. For months afterward, any time anywhere an AR-15 was used in a crime, it was sure to make the news, and the reporters made sure to mention an AR-15 was used.

As a result, the AR-15 has gained an irrational prominence in the communal mind.

So one does have to wonder if it is just a coincidence that a type of ammo that is specifically used in the AR-15 is being targeted for a ban. One does have to wonder if a ban that clearly would have virtually no impact on crime or deaths is an irrational reaction to shark attack stories.

Last edited:
LOL. When all you nutjobs croak, your children are going to look at those thousands of rounds of useless ammo, and wonder why in the hell you ever spent that kind of money on that junk. They will conclude, as we all ready have, that you are just plain fucking nuts.

Of my three children, one will likely get most of my guns and ammo. Not because they think anyone is crazy, but because he is a shooter. The other two are proficient and safe with a firearm, but do not shoot as a hobby.

Funny how common-sense cop-protecting measures are 'enemies of the Constitution' and 2nd Amendment threatening, but the same issue isn't described as 'allowing cop body armor defeating ammunition.'
You are apparently unaware that virtually every centerfire rifle cartridge commercially available in the US will defeat the typical vest worn by the typical cop.
Do you want those banned as well?
No?
Why not?
I'm not the one who wrote the "cop killer bullet" law back in 85. When pistols were made that would chamber that bullet, it fit the banned description put forth by that law. Gun manufacturers were well aware of what would happen when they started selling pistols that would fire them. If you want to be mad, blame the gun manufacturers.
Not seeing an answer to the questions I asked.

I thought it was a rhetorical question. I don't know anyone stupid enough to actually ask that question. No I don't particularly want the others banned unless they are banned by that law. I don't know anyone who is advocating that. I hunt too, and I'm pissed that gun manufacturers knowingly triggered the ban by selling pistols that use that shell.

What ammo was banned when the gun manufacturers "knowingly triggered the ban"? And how would that effect your hunting? If it is a .223/5.56mm, it isn't much of a hunting round (unless you are hunting varmints).

Funny how common-sense cop-protecting measures are 'enemies of the Constitution' and 2nd Amendment threatening, but the same issue isn't described as 'allowing cop body armor defeating ammunition.'
You are apparently unaware that virtually every centerfire rifle cartridge commercially available in the US will defeat the typical vest worn by the typical cop.
No?
Why not?
I'm not the one who wrote the "cop killer bullet" law back in 85. When pistols were made that would chamber that bullet, it fit the banned description put forth by that law. Gun manufacturers were well aware of what would happen when they started selling pistols that would fire them. If you want to be mad, blame the gun manufacturers.

I thought it was a rhetorical question. I don't know anyone stupid enough to actually ask that question. No I don't particularly want the others banned unless they are banned by that law. I don't know anyone who is advocating that. I hunt too, and I'm pissed that gun manufacturers knowingly triggered the ban by selling pistols that use that shell.

What ammo was banned when the gun manufacturers "knowingly triggered the ban"? And how would that effect your hunting? If it is a .223/5.56mm, it isn't much of a hunting round (unless you are hunting varmints).

The 223/5.56 was banned when pistols were made that could chamber that particular shell. That's what this discussion revolves around. No, I don't use it. I usually use a a 30.06 or shotgun depending on if I'm in the brush or open ground. I'm mad because this kerfuffle didn't have to happen to start with.

No?
Why not?

The 223/5.56 was banned when pistols were made that could chamber that particular shell. That's what this discussion revolves around. No, I don't use it. I usually use a a 30.06 or shotgun depending on if I'm in the brush or open ground. I'm mad because this kerfuffle didn't have to happen to start with.

You are absolutely correct. It did not have to happen. The fact that a handgun was chambered in .223/5.56 should not have changed anything.

You are absolutely correct. It did not have to happen. The fact that a handgun was chambered in .223/5.56 should not have changed anything.

The cop killer ammo law says different.

No?
Why not?

The 223/5.56 was banned when pistols were made that could chamber that particular shell.
.223/5.56 handguns were around well before the SS109 round was given its AP exception.

I do believe much of the "OBAMAZ CUMMIN FER YER GUNZ" rhetoric was a clever marketing ploy to get people to buy more guns.

After all, it is not logical to buy more guns if they are going to be seized, right? Were all these fat slobs who made a panic run on guns and ammo planning on going down in a blaze of glory? I don't think so! :laugh:

Their tough guy self-image would pop like a soap bubble the moment a hard knock came on their door. They probably shit their pants when the Girl Scouts came around selling cookies.

All the rubes succeeded in doing was making a lot of gun dealers and manufacturers very rich. And they created a self-fulfilling prophecy. "Ohmagod, the gubmint is buying up all the ammo, we better go buy moar!" :laugh:

A ridiculous self-feeding cycle. KA-CHING!

It's getting harder and harder to dodge all the panicked herds we have running around this country.

Yes, it was a bad piece of legislation when it was written and accomplished nothing except to make the uninformed think the politicians had actually done something.

How many police officers have been killed by having a .223/5.56 caliber handgun defeat their body armor?

The 223/5.56 was banned when pistols were made that could chamber that particular shell.
.223/5.56 handguns were around well before the SS109 round was given its AP exception.
link?

Yes, it was a bad piece of legislation when it was written and accomplished nothing except to make the uninformed think the politicians had actually done something.

How many police officers have been killed by having a .223/5.56 caliber handgun defeat their body armor?

You have every right to argue it's a bad law if that's how you feel, but it is the law, and that's the reason those particular shells are banned. All this stupid crap about Obama using this to ban guns is nothing more than the crazy claims about death panels. Made up misdirected crap used to dishonestly oppose a president the right doesn't like. Typical GOP shit.

link?
Thompson-Center Contender - Wikipedia the free encyclopedia
T C G2 Contender - Thompson Center

About once a week, someone somewhere on our planet gets attacked by a shark. Of those, maybe one attack a year is fatal.

You never hear about these attacks until there is a particularly bad attack, such as a 9 year old surfer losing an arm.

After a sensational shark attack, every shark attack for weeks afterward makes the news, giving the impression that sharks have suddenly gone crazy when the reality is that reporting of the attacks is on the rise. Because of the elevated attention toward shark attacks, people then become irrationally afraid of being attacked and killed by a shark.

This phenomenon is not unique to shark attacks, but I like to call the residual sensationalism which follows some dramatic event "shark attack stories". A celebrity runs into a tree while skiing and dies, ski accidents become the stories du juor for weeks afterward.

Just so with the AR-15. After it was reported that Adam Lanza had used an AR-15 at Sandy Hook, and that James Holmes had used an AR-15 in the Colorado Springs shooting, the AR-15 became a shark attack story. For months afterward, any time anywhere an AR-15 was used in a crime, it was sure to make the news, and the reporters made sure to mention an AR-15 was used.

As a result, the AR-15 has gained an irrational prominence in the communal mind.

So one does have to wonder if it is just a coincidence that a type of ammo that is specifically used in the AR-15 is being targeted for a ban. One does have to wonder if a ban that clearly would have virtually no impact on crime or deaths is an irrational reaction to shark attack stories.
A 'ban,' even if implemented, would have zero effect on the overall availability of 5.56 NATO.

A 'ban,' even if implemented, would have zero effect on the overall availability of 5.56 NATO.
Another lie.
Banning a significant source of 5.56 ammo very certainly does have an affect on overall availability.

link?

Looks legit to me. I'm not sure why that particular shell wasn't banned when the law originally went into effect. Perhaps it's because it's a single shot, but that's just a guess. Bottom line, it is designated as a "cop killer bullet" now, and they say it's because of ready availability of pistols that can fire it. The idea that banning one particular bullet is an effort to ban guns is still pretty far fetched, and a little to "conspiracy theory" based to be believable.

link?
Looks legit to me. I'm not sure why that particular shell wasn't banned when the law originally went into effect. Perhaps it's because it's a single shot, but that's just a guess. Bottom line, it is designated as a "cop killer bullet" now, and they say it's because of ready availability of pistols that can fire it. The idea that banning one particular bullet is an effort to ban guns is still pretty far fetched, and a little to "conspiracy theory" based to be believable.
No one claims this is an attempt to ban guns; this IS an attempt to drive up the cost of ammo as it can have no other effect..

link?
No one claims this is an attempt to ban guns; this IS an attempt to drive up the cost of ammo as it can have no other effect..

Obviously, you haven't read many of the posts here. Several of the nutters are positive it is an effort by Obama to ban guns. Obviously there will be an increase In price for that particular shell, but much of it will be caused by hoarders buying up more than they could ever use.

Forum List

Back