Gun laws work

Pro-gun advocates have been telling us that gun laws don’t prevent crime.

My hometown, Baltimore, has a population of 637,000. Last year, homicides were down to a 20-year low, at 234 killings.

My temporary hometown, London, is the largest city in Europe, at 7.5 million. Gun killings in 2008: seventeen.

London has one tenth the shootings, with ten times the population. A citizen of Baltimore is a hundred times more likely to be shot to death, than a Londoner.

Gun laws work.

Here's something that may have passed your notice, Hon. Britain is an Island, Maryland isn't.

You can more effectively ban something when you have shores to protect then in numerous land routes to the same place for criminals to run guns to.

The flaw in your argument is the same one that Chris made in a related thread. You looked at some stastitics then leapt to the determination that one caused the other. That is, because London has fewer shooting per capita than Baltimore you then made the baseless assumption that stricter gun laws is what CAUSED there to be fewer homcides by gun per capita. The reality is there are many variables in play and it takes a bit more research to determine which variables correlate to fewer deaths and which don't.

We call that a post hoc ergo proctor hoc fallacy.

Exactly.

There are probably some cultural issues at work which haven't been explored. The Brits are not a gun-owning culture, Americans are. There are probably not that many privately (and legally) owned firearms in London as against a city in the US which is much smaller. That means that there will be less firearms incidents in London in toto then there are - apparently - in Baltimore. However given that, shouldn't it give the good citizens of Baltimore some concern?

The citizens of Baltimore have a number of reasons to be concerned, this is the least among them....:lol: Too much Natty Bow....hon. Gimme another dozen crabs hon or I'll shoot ya.

(Sorry, a little too inside baseball for most.)

The citizens of Baltimore have a number of reasons to be concerned, this is the least among them....:lol: Too much Natty Bow....hon. Gimme another dozen crabs hon or I'll shoot ya.

(Sorry, a little too inside baseball for most.)

I knew there was a reason I drove straight past - I would have had major language difficulties, I only speak English :D

My hometown, Baltimore, has a population of 637,000. Last year, homicides were down to a 20-year low, at 234 killings.

My temporary hometown, London, is the largest city in Europe, at 7.5 million. Gun killings in 2008: seventeen.

London has one tenth the shootings, with ten times the population. A citizen of Baltimore is a hundred times more likely to be shot to death, than a Londoner.

Gun laws work.

You should learn about the issue before commenting on it.

Here's something that may have passed your notice, Hon. Britain is an Island, Maryland isn't.

You can more effectively ban something when you have shores to protect then in numerous land routes to the same place for criminals to run guns to.

England does not stop smuggling of illegal weapons at all. Gun crimes have steadily reason as the restrictions got more draconian.

England does not stop smuggling of illegal weapons at all. Gun crimes have steadily reason as the restrictions got more draconian.

I suspect the UK problem is quite complex. Apart from Yardies (Jamaican drug gangs) there are also the East Europeans and the various organised crime gangs that at working there, bringing in weapons for their operations.

This is what I mean when I say you have to separate the criminal aspects from the everyday, harm-minimisation aspects.

Gun laws work.

Watch this, you might learn something.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yTq2NEUlhDE]YouTube - The British called - They want their guns back![/ame]

Gun laws work.
Thank fuck for that...I thought you were British.:lol:

New Topics

Forum List

Back