CDZ Gun Control

Discussion in 'Clean Debate Zone' started by Wry Catcher, Dec 22, 2015.

1. Wry Catcher

Wry Catcher Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,081
    What in my arguments for rational gun control is incorrect or dishonest or made badly?

The arguments against me have been mostly emotional and disregard the history of gun controls which existed for most of our nation's history. The majority of posts by those opposed to all controls on guns are limited to personal attacks on my intelligence or character.

Thus I've decided the CZ may be the only place for an honest discussion on gun control.

I'm not the least bit intimidated by those obsessed with guns, who have no argument other than: The 2nd Amendment is sacrosanct, their fear of tyrannical government and their (irrational?) fears of going out in public unarmed.

I've taken on the first wo with reasoned remarks which have never been proved wrong.

1. There are already laws against the civilian population owning or having in their possession weapons of war unrestricted by law and or regulated.

Thus the Second Amendment is NOT sacrosanct as so many believe.

2. Only an idiot believes the possession of arms readily affordable and available to the current civilian population are sufficient to repeal a military or para military force of our government.

We live in a time when the government is temporary, and the people (at least those allowed to vote) can choose the civilian population who govern us, and control our military and para military agencies.

[THE GREATER THREAT TO OURSELVES AND OUR FAMILIES IS WHEN THE VOTE IS SUPPRESSED BY OVERT OR COVERT MEANS - BETTER TO WORRY ABOUT THE IMPACT ON OUR LIBERTY BY THE REALITY OF CU & McCUTCHEON V. FEC AND THE CURRENT EFFORTS BY SOME STATES TO LIMIT THE RIGHT TO VOTE BASED ON THE CANARD OF VOTER FRAUD]

Further more gun control does not outlaws guns, it regulates them. Licensing, registration and restrictions on specific forms of arms are already on the books. And yet loopholes exists, obviously, given who have had guns in their possession legally, and the horrors that they have inflicted in Connecticut, Virginia, Texas, Colorado, etc. etc.

3. I support a licensed person who can pass a background check and thereafter remains legally able to be a responsible gun owner has the right to own, possess and have in their custody and control a gun.

4. Responsible people understand that not everyone should own, possess or ever have a gun in their custody or control.

So, responsible people, any ideas?

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  2. TNHarley

TNHarley Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +44,206
    Reasonable gun control that wont restrict the constitutional rights of law abiding citizens and actually help something?
    Does that exist?

3. Fishlore

Fishlore Silver Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +446
    In some societies, the male weapon has a significance above and beyond its functional utility. To separate a Scot from his sporan and dirk or to pry an Arab's fingers off his khanjar is to provoke a fight to the death. Freudian theories about the phallic symbol aside, the weapon which symbolizes warrior status cannot be willingly surrendered no matter what the argument.

The Scots Irish immigrants who settled in Appalachia in the latter part of the 18th century came from a culture in which the claymore was a sacred badge of rank. The increasingly available and affordable handguns of the 19th century allowed an echo of knighthood to descend to the lowest levels of rural white society and the mystique, although fading, remains to this day across a large swath of semi-civilized America.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. PredFan

PredFan Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +17,529
    Gun control does not work. It never has. All it does is restrict the rights of the law abiding.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. martybegan

martybegan Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +17,419
    The issue is every regulation proposed does nothing to prevent bad guys from getting guns, and does everything to annoy and harass law abiding gun owners.

As an example, tell me why in NYC that it should take me 3-6 months and $1000 to get a handgun permit in NYC? What is the justification for that?

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. martybegan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +17,419
    Never does. All these laws do is make it harder for people like me to get a gun. A criminal can get a gun in a matter of hours if they know the right people.

• Agree Agree x 4
  7. Wry Catcher

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,081
    I suppose we won't know if measures to reduce the ease to buy, borrow or steal a gun is imposed. The opinion that nothing will work isn't convincing or even credible.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. martybegan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +17,419
    The idea "to just try something, or do something" even if we know it won't work isn't convincing either.

Why am i supposed to give up one of my rights to make the work of police officer's easier? Why not ask me to give up my 4th amendment rights, or my right to trial by jury at the same time?

9. Wry Catcher

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,081
    You don't know what will or won't work to mitigate gun violence. I will admit gun control is not a panacea for violence in America but doing nothing, trying nothing is foolish, selfish and can not stand.

Rational people with normal amounts of empathy are fed up with daily reports of murder, suicide and accidental deaths by gun. The more the NRA and it followers continue to roadblock efforts to reduce gun violence the more likely more restrictive laws will be promulgated.

You are not giving up any Right, you may be inconvenienced by the suggestions I've made over the past months.

The only ones' who will have gun restrictions are those have been convicted of a violent act, placed by civil order in a facility as a danger to them self or others, are on parole or probation or have a documented alcohol or drug addiction. All responsible gun owners support a means to keep gun out of their hands - why don't you?

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. PredFan

PredFan Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +17,529
    Here is the problem that liberals never ever think about:

Some crazy idiot kills a bunch of people with a gun.

Ignorant but well meaning people allow politicians to restrict gun rights.

But gun control does not work so.....

But gun control does not work so.....

Eventually, there are no more gun rights and still some crazy idiot kills a bunch of people with a gun.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Thank You! Thank You! x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1