Gun Control?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Wry Catcher, Apr 18, 2012.

?

Is this a legitimate act of local government?

Poll closed Apr 25, 2012.
  1. No, it violates the US Constitution

62.5%
  2. No, it is the first step to ban firearms

25.0%
  3. Yes, all local communities pass zoning laws

12.5%
  4. Maybe, unless Roberts, Alito, Thomas and Scalia say otherwise

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Wry Catcher

Wry Catcher Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,162
  2. Swagger

Swagger Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,512
    From the link:

Ineffectual blustering. X amount of cars are bought and sold in homes across the U.S every day. Some get stolen and end-up being used in criminal activity. Should you embark upon the errosion of vehicle sales agreed at home because of that? No, you shouldn't.

I feel passionately about this because I saw - and continue to see - the results of banning self-loading handguns in the UK. Gun crime rocketed overnight, and continues to rise at an meteoric rate. But criminals can easily get hold of weapons to terrorise their victims because the supply is now out of the government's stewardship. Where do these illegal weapons come from that are seized in the UK? Conflict zones. As soon as the Firearm Bill came into effect thousands of weapons headed their way west from the civil wars raging in the Balkans. They still come from the former Yugoslavia, but now new sources are available from the demobilised Soviet army, the Northen Caucasus and elsewhere in Central Asia.

Ban or restrict private ownership of firearms in the U.S and expect a continuous glut of illegal firearms looted from homes and military depots in Central and South America. You'll demand that the governments in charge of the weapons' place of origin investigate, but, like in the source nations of Britain's illegal weapons (Eastern Europe and beyond), they'll be powerless to act.

3. 007

007 Charter Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,110
    *ANY* law impeding the ownership and selling of a firearm to and between legal American citizens is unconstitutional.

Why do you leftists always need clarification on that?

4. Missourian

Missourian Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,124
    After reading the accompanying article, I'm changing my vote to "this is a legitimate function of government".

This ordinance restricts the issuance of business licenses to home based gun shops.

No different than restricting the locations of bars and sex shops.

It does not interfere with person to person gun sales.

5. Ernie S.

Ernie S. Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,469
    I see your logic, but the phrase "shall not be infringed" is unqualified.

I have the same quandary when considering zoning regulations that prohibit places of worship in certain areas.

6. Wry Catcher

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,162
    But ownership of firearms is infringed, fully automatic weapons and sawed-off shotguns ae but two examples. It will be interesting to see if this new law is challenged and how the court(s) decide.

7. Warrior102

Warrior102 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,029
    Hey idiot Leftist - how would you like it if I took away your bong and tie-dyed undies.
    Do gun owners a favor and shut the fuck up

Last edited: Apr 18, 2012
  8. Peach

Peach Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,965
    I side with law enforcement on the issue; they are the ones facing the dangers:

But only a handful of speakers made that argument Tuesday, while the vast majority sided with police Chief John Hardester, who warned that residential gun sales would threaten public safety. Several speakers argued that the businesses would be targeted by burglars. Others said that home gun sale businesses would adversely affect property values of neighboring homes.

9. SayMyName

SayMyName Live, Love, Laugh.

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +158
    I am all for guns rights. I want to own guns. I just don't want alot of the rest of you to own them. *winks*

By the way, on topic, towns can zone, just not take away the right. Even the Republican Wyatt Earp and his brothers enforced gun laws in the towns they marshalled. Wyatt's last gun is still on show in Anchorage where he gave it up by request on his visit over a century ago.

10. Wry Catcher

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,162
    You're not man enough to take away my bong or tie-dyed undies.

I don't live in Pinole, so the issue is not of great importance to me. I agree with the top cop, I don't want gun dealers, fireworks dealers or drug dealers in my neighborhood. I believe a community has the right to establish zone laws.