Gun Control - What's the Problem?

Slade3200

Diamond Member
Jan 13, 2016
I'm a gun owner, most of my friends are gun owners, but i'm confused... What is the problem that most conservatives have with President Obama's Gun Control ideas? I hear the speeches, read the plans, watched the town hall and listen to commentary on both sides until my ears bleed and I still don't understand the conservative position.

Everything that the President has suggested makes sense to me. I don't feel threatened about losing my guns, and I don't think that a responsible citizen's ability to buy a gun is being threatened. I think anything that helps keep guns out of the wrong hands is a good idea, it will save lives! The only point I hear from conservatives on why they object is that they think there is a hidden agenda by the Left to take away all guns. That is ridiculous, paranoid and unrealistic, there must be something more...

Why does the pro-gun base object to background checks and regulations that will make it harder for criminals or irresponsible individuals to own a gun? I just don't understand the argument. Please enlighten me.

upload_2016-1-13_12-27-53.png

• Thanks
Reactions: Taz
I'm a gun owner, most of my friends are gun owners, but i'm confused... What is the problem that most conservatives have with President Obama's Gun Control ideas? I hear the speeches, read the plans, watched the town hall and listen to commentary on both sides until my ears bleed and I still don't understand the conservative position.

Everything that the President has suggested makes sense to me. I don't feel threatened about losing my guns, and I don't think that a responsible citizen's ability to buy a gun is being threatened. I think anything that helps keep guns out of the wrong hands is a good idea, it will save lives! The only point I hear from conservatives on why they object is that they think there is a hidden agenda by the Left to take away all guns. That is ridiculous, paranoid and unrealistic, there must be something more...

Why does the pro-gun base object to background checks and regulations that will make it harder for criminals or irresponsible individuals to own a gun? I just don't understand the argument. Please enlighten me.

View attachment 59771
Simple, Barry is a lying POS.
Aside from that he does not have any credibility on the issue and more laws = less freedom.

Incrementalism is the problem.

Yep, "come on, it's just this." So we let them doe that. Then it's "well, you already went along with that." So we let them do that. Then it's "well, we already did this and that, what's the problem with this?"

It never ends.

we already have background check laws, we already have laws that punish crimes involving guns, just enforce the existing laws. Stop feeling sorry for criminals, stop letting criminal illegals enter this country, put more police in the central cities and eliminate the gangs.

there is no need for new gun legislation.

View attachment 59771
FYI -- No amount of effort can keep guns out of the hands of anyone that wants one, it's impossible. People trade guns, sell guns to friends, family, and neighbors, and it's easy to buy a gun at a flea market, yard sale, or from the trunk of a car. There are many guns purchased on the black market, and many cross our borders. The whole idea of "Gun Control" is silly, ridiculous, and will not stop violent crimes, gang violence, and thugs from using them. Guns are available to anyone that wants one, from many sources, and some can not be traced.

View attachment 59771

Your trust in government is misplaced.
America is one of the last places where the government is concerned that the populace,if pushed to far have the ability to oust said government....and I'd prefer to keep it that way.

View attachment 59771

Three of the first four posts supply your answer all in the same way: the old Slippery Slope fallacy.

Post 11, as is his wont, prefers the Strawman.

View attachment 59771

Three of the first four posts supply your answer all in the same way: the old Slippery Slope fallacy.

Only a fool would think Barry is a decent and honest in the slightest... Progressives are so gullible.

First, what purpose do you believe will be served by making it more difficult for criminals and crazies to buy guns? Do you really think being unable to buy a gun for a reasonable price at a legal gun store will stop someone, anyone, who wants a gun from getting one?

Have you ever heard of Prohibition? How about the current War On Drugs? This has been going on at near police-state intensity for more than three decades and the result has been drugs are more available today than they were when this counterproductive folly was started -- and they cost less.

We who oppose any further nibbling away at the Second Amendment are well aware that guns cannot be controlled anymore than drugs can. We know that nothing can come of this endless attempt to disarm us other than further inconvenience to legitimate gun owners. Because if the background check idea is enacted it's not going to end there. Little by little these anti-gun opportunists, most of whom know nothing about guns, are afraid of them, and are not inclined to defend themselves under any circumstances, won't stop until your Second Amendment rights are limited to keeping a single-shot .22 rifle chambered for short, and bearing it to a federally supervised range.

Guns are in this Nation's DNA. Nothing short of totalitarian, door-busting, full-bore police-state methods will put an end to the occasional shooting, mass-shooting, and armed stand-off. So let's put an end to this creeping prohibition before it reaches that level.

The only gun law I approve of is a comprehensive training requirement and competence test for anyone who wishes to own a gun or guns -- and intensified training for anyone who wishes to carry -- open or concealed.

(Pardon the excessive boldface. It is the result of a quirk I can't control.)

View attachment 59771

Only a fool would think Barry is a decent and honest in the slightest... Progressives are so gullible.

What the fuck does "Barry" have to do with what I just posted?

[...]

America is one of the last places where the government is concerned that the populace,if pushed to far have the ability to oust said government....and I'd prefer to keep it that way.
I personally do not believe the potential for revolution is the primary and most realistic purpose of my keeping and bearing arms, including those with full military-type potential. I believe the very real possibility of contemporary American citizens needing to defend themselves against heavily armed terrorists increases on a daily basis. And until government can provide us with absolute assurance that we will never be confronted by armed terrorists this anti "assault weapon" nonsense needs to be shut down.

So long as the slightest possibility of my being confronted by some jihadist (or some ordinary screwball) with an AK-47, then I reserve the right to own an AK-47. Because it's better to have a gun and not need it than to need a gun and not have it.

[...]

I personally do not believe the potential for revolution is the primary and most realistic purpose of my keeping and bearing arms, including those with full military-type potential. I believe the very real possibility of contemporary American citizens needing to defend themselves against heavily armed terrorists increases on a daily basis. And until government can provide us with absolute assurance that we will never be confronted by armed terrorists this anti "assault weapon" nonsense needs to be shut down.

So long as the slightest possibility of my being confronted by some jihadist (or some ordinary screwball) with an AK-47, then I reserve the right to own an AK-47. Because it's better to have a gun and not need it than to need a gun and not have it.

Seems to me Barry is already fighting America in a proxy war by importing terrorist and violent illegal immigrants.

It's all ready started.....

"Law's won't keep guns out of the hands of criminals" I agree, if somebody really wants a gun then they will be able to get one. Just like if somebody wants to get into your house or car then can do it by just breaking a window, but we still lock our doors and get security systems."

I'm still not hearing an argument that I understand that counters the efforts being made to help solve a small part of a very big problem. Isn't something better than nothing? Why aren't we working together on this? Yes, efforts to improve law enforcement and focus on mental health will help, along with many other ideas, but those are a different conversation... Focusing on the simple propositions by the president... Why the opposition and how are they hurting our rights??

"Law's won't keep guns out of the hands of criminals" I agree, if somebody really wants a gun then they will be able to get one. Just like if somebody wants to get into your house or car then can do it by just breaking a window, but we still lock our doors and get security systems."

I'm still not hearing an argument that I understand that counters the efforts being made to help solve a small part of a very big problem. Isn't something better than nothing? Why aren't we working together on this? Yes, efforts to improve law enforcement and focus on mental health will help, along with many other ideas, but those are a different conversation... Focusing on the simple propositions by the president... Why the opposition and how are they hurting our rights??

Leave law abiding citizens alone and clean up the ghettos and our murder rate would be the envy of the world.

View attachment 59771

The "slippery slope" argument is the one that I do not understand. Why oppose something that makes sense in fear of possible future proposals that may or may not take away your rights? Why not do what is right now in an effort to help a big problem (even if it just helps a little) and fight proposals that impede your rights if/when they are proposed?

Forum List

Back