CDZ Gun Control vs. Mental Health Care

Disagree.

We have not “eliminated the concept of personal responsibility for our actions.” Nor has anyone promoted rehabilitation as a “panacea for violence” [1]; any failure is the consequence of our unwillingness to pursue a comprehensive and effective mental health policy.[2] Moreover, there has not been an “increase in evil in our society,” this is mere perception the consequence of the 24/7 news cycle and the instantaneous dissemination of information and events absent context and background intended as entertainment.[3]

It is perfectly plausible to explore solutions to gun violence that both comport with Second Amendment jurisprudence and seek to enhance the effectiveness of mental healthcare delivery to citizens in a manner designed to detect mental illness before it develops to the point where treatment is ineffective and the mentally ill person poses a threat to himself and society.[4]

Last, any effective policy will require Americans to acknowledge and deal with certain unpleasant aspects of our society – in particular our propensity toward violence and the perception of violence as a legitimate means of conflict resolution; we are an inherently violent society[5], a Nation forged in the crucible of war, the Civil War our most violent and costly – changing that cultural component will be a necessary part of any successful resolution.
[1] Our society hasn't eliminated it yet, but we're determined to.

[2] Partly true, but you're ignoring the part where the victim must become the bad guy and vice versa.

[3] A matter of personal opinion and it's a brainwashed talking point.

[4] Exploration is overrated, especially now that "gun control" (what a ridiculous phrase) laws by definition have proven only to victimize law abiding citizens. The rest of the paragraph's verbosity shows your need to run for office and so get out of the way.

[5]"...certain unpleasant aspects of our society – in particular our propensity toward violence and the perception of violence as a legitimate means of conflict resolution; we are an inherently violent society... Just good old-fashioned arrogance. Get off Obama's tit.

I think we will find that when mental health care becomes competent, that the need for gun control will diminish significantly.

Well, no, you really wouldn't.

The vast majority of gun murders are not crazy people. That crazy people are able to buy guns is a symptom of the problem, not the problem.

The majority of gun homicides and suicides are that a gun was readily available and turned a bad s ituation into a tragedy.
I think we would see less "gun violence" (a term I despise) if more people got mental health treatment. It's quite logical to expect that result. Only a hopeless, hallucinating idealist believes that all guns could and therefore should be confiscated. Guns will always be readily available to criminals, so laws prohibiting guns don't work because they can't. And I also believe that the majority of homicides and suicides are not committed by mentally healthy people; just the opposite is obviously true.

The fact is that the mental health care which is available does not work well at all. There were 18 killed in mass murders here and all three murderers were seeing psychologists. It did not help a bit.

BTW, this forum software is so bad, I may not return after I finish replying to post that have accumulated since my last visit. Which has been a while because the software is so bad.

I think we will find that when mental health care becomes competent, that the need for gun control will diminish significantly

You could have stopped right there. Exactly!

Spoken like true communists.
Your response is confusing. Are you disagreeing with the need for better mental health care?

The entire concept of "mental health care" is equivalent to "gun control" in absurdity.
Both concepts seek to dismiss the right for people to defend themselves.

Or maybe in simpler terms...
Gun control is horse manure and psychology is bull manure. Despite adjectives, they are both a load of pinko manure.
Understand?

We don't need gun control in the US.

We need better mental health care.

Agree or not?

I agree wholeheartedly. Since I have been admitted twice, I would know. However, I guess I could consider myself lucky, though, because I got the right treatment regimen. However, the bureaucracy is maddening. The amount of administrative incompetence involved can literally cost lives.

One example was last year. I ran out of meds, so I went to the facility for refills. They had closed the facility to go on a picnic. Not only was that a waste of taxpayer dollars, it prevented other people from getting the meds they needed. I was not happy.

Whats more is that they are charging money (six bucks) for the refills now, after being filled at no cost. There are a lot of poor and destitute people who come there for treatment and medicine, and can't even afford the six dollars.

Forum List

Back