• Gun control, just ban all guns period

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Lunatic control - bring back asylums to protect the public

Votes: 6 46.2%
  • Lunatic control - close monitoring or its to the asylum and a lobotomy

Votes: 4 30.8%

• Total voters
Then you kick him out of the house.

My son is 20 and perfectly sane. But if he bought a gun, he'd be living elsewhere. My house; my rules. That's what good parents say.

Maybe there's some sob story about how they tried to get him help, blah, blah, blah, but I highly doubt it.

Boundaries are good when dealing with people living at your home. Even more important when that person is mentally ill.

I didn't think I could ever call the police on my kid, but I did.

Point is - it is amazing what you will and won't do when your kid really needs you.

I am not going to judge his parents. It's too easy and does me no good. The incident that happened in Tucson is one of my greatest fears. I know no matter how great of a parent I am, things may be out of my control.

I am sure his parents are in horrible pain right now. It's a sad situation all the way around. Sometimes there just is no silver lining.

I'm surprised no one connected the dots of Loughner's drug abuse to his mental state
Smoking marijuana ups risk of schizophrenia: study | Reuters

Could legalizing marijuana increase mass murders or "assassinations" ?

How about drug tests before buying guns or ammo?

How about mandatory drug tests period to stay out of "therapy"?

I'm waiting for Palin to start hammering the Left on Loughner's mental status viz drug use AS VERIFIED BY THE ABOVE STUDY!!

Guns don't kill people, people on drugs kill people!!

that study verifies nothing

why does everyone freak out so much when the occasional loon commits murder with some obscure politics mixed in with their delusions and instantly jumps to limiting free speech and gun control as the panicked solution but people are murdering people daily for nickles and dimes and petty jealousies and "broken hearts" etc etc and btw people with mental illness do not commit murder at any greater rate than the population in general

Like I said.......if you need more than 10 rounds at a clip, you're either a piss poor shot and should spend more time at the shooting range, or you're mentally unbalanced and looking to kill someone, or you're in a war zone.

Have you ever tried to shoot at a moving target, or a moving target that's shooting at you? It's not as easy as you might suspect, unless you're REALLY close. Most handguns are not very accurate unless you're in extreme close combat. These retarded movies where the guy hits everyone with one shot at 50 yards with a glock is pretty unrealistic. I'm not saying it can't be done by someone, but most people would take more than 10 rounds to hit someone shooting at them from 50 yards. I would say 50 yards would be a MAXIMUM range to be effective. Now a standard target that's not moving....maybe.

Why couldn't someone with more than 10 rounds in a clip just have them in case some mentally unbalanced person comes knocking on their door, or confronts them in a crowded grocery market, or in a mall? It's not the amount of bullets in a clip that is the culprit here. Maybe we should limit the amount of pencils that students have so we don't have more mispelled words.

Then you kick him out of the house.

My son is 20 and perfectly sane. But if he bought a gun, he'd be living elsewhere. My house; my rules. That's what good parents say.

Maybe there's some sob story about how they tried to get him help, blah, blah, blah, but I highly doubt it.

You're entitled to your opinion, however, I don't agree with how you would handle the situation. This is exactly the kind of attitude toward firearms that has our youth either scared of guns,thinking that they are only for one purpose, and being uneducated about firearm safety and ethics. Good parents should have and enforce their own rules, but sometimes parent rules are pretty frickin ridiculous. Learn yourself and then educate your son properly about firearms and then make a decision. It really bothers me when some people have their mind made up about certain things without educating themselves.

I have and aunt that is anti-gun but can't explain why. She says "Guns are bad." Ok fine, but why do you think so? I've been around guns my entire life. I was taught to respect guns much like you respect electricity. If you aren't careful around both, then you could get killed. My father was very strict when it came to handling firearms. But the key was that he didn't shield me from them. When I was little and asked to see them, he would take them out of the cabinet, check to make sure they were unloaded (even though he never kept them loaded), and sit next to me while I held it...making sure that I wasn't pointing it anywhere but towards the floor. He always told me to never try to look at them on my own, but if I ever wanted to see them I could ask him and he would show me. The first time I went dove-hunting my father let me shoot a coke can with his shotgun. After seeing what was left, he reminded me that I had to be careful because of the damage it could do to a person. He did instill a little fear in me about guns, but only if I should become careless. I use my guns to hunt with and for target shooting because it's what I enjoy to do. My guns have no sinister purpose...

Loehner's Glock did have a sinister purpose.

My husband has guns for hunting. He also has a family and a home. I see no legitimate purpose for a young person who is unemployed and living at home to own one unless they are out shooting Sunday dinner. Esp. one who is mentally unstable and abusing drugs.

My personal fear of firearms stems from the fact that we had a good friend who blew his brains out several years ago. I also teach high school.

I respect the fact that owning a gun is a Constitutional right. But with that right comes an awesome responsibility. The Loehners failed in that responsibility. And Dupnik's office may have too.

When will you people realize that in our kind of society, the price we pay for freedom often manifests itself in tragedy? I believe the price of an ocassional nutcase on a shooting rampage is worth the ability of being able to carry a semi-auto assault rifle in my truck with 3 30 round mags full of .556 plus a 12 guage for close encounters with a potential U.S. government that thinks it's losing control.

My husband has guns for hunting. He also has a family and a home. I see no legitimate purpose for a young person who is unemployed and living at home to own one unless they are out shooting Sunday dinner. Esp. one who is mentally unstable and abusing drugs.

My personal fear of firearms stems from the fact that we had a good friend who blew his brains out several years ago. I also teach high school.

I respect the fact that owning a gun is a Constitutional right. But with that right comes an awesome responsibility. The Loehners failed in that responsibility. And Dupnik's office may have too.

Well I also hope you carry a firearm for the protection of the students and yourself. I have family members who survived Patrick Purdy's assault on the school grounds. One girl was on the opposite side of the door from Purdy when he decided to blow his brains out. There was nothing stopping this guy from his continued assault. A gun trained teacher could have killed this guy, instead of becoming victims themselves. Do it for the kids.

Last edited:
Reasonable protections and common sense can prevent many of these tragedies. Not all, but possibly this one.

Not really. The scripts for so called "mental illness" are probably just as bad as the illness in some instances. The entire country is unnecessarily medicated. If they want to protect people from psychopaths then they'll have to make some sweeping generalizations about people who were given snake oil like Paxil or even some poor kid who can't pay attention in school. Half the U.S. population would be on your "no gun" list. There isn't anything reasonable or common sensical about ridiculous lists. Everyone who ever sought treatment for depression would end up on some progressive's list. And let's not forget the people who never sought treatment. Nothing is ever going to stop them from exacting their revenge. Accept the horror and go on.

Well I also hope you carry a firearm for the protection of the students and yourself. I have family members who survived Patrick Purdy's assault on the school grounds. One girl was on the opposite side of the door from Purdy when he decided to blow his brains out. There was nothing stopping this guy from his continued assault. A gun trained teacher could have killed this guy, instead of becoming victims themselves. Do it for the kids.

I live in NJ. Nuff said? :eusa_whistle:

We have cops at school. Trust me, there are teachers there who should never handle a firearm.

Reasonable protections and common sense can prevent many of these tragedies. Not all, but possibly this one.

Not really. The scripts for so called "mental illness" are probably just as bad as the illness in some instances. The entire country is unnecessarily medicated. If they want to protect people from psychopaths then they'll have to make some sweeping generalizations about people who were given snake oil like Paxil or even some poor kid who can't pay attention in school. Half the U.S. population would be on your "no gun" list. There isn't anything reasonable or common sensical about ridiculous lists. Everyone who ever sought treatment for depression would end up on some progressive's list. And let's not forget the people who never sought treatment. Nothing is ever going to stop them from exacting their revenge. Accept the horror and go on.

Yes and no. They give psych tests to cops and soldiers. Why shouldn't ordinary citizens be held to the same standard?

Schizophrenia is not ADHD, but I understand your concern.

Nonetheless, I still feel this kid should have been prevented from purchasing a gun. I don't blame the system; I blame those who knew how sick he was.

Ordinary citizens don't take an oath and cops and soldiers are held to a much higher standard because their potential to abuse the power that comes with some of those weapons is much higher, especially in the psycho-paranoid post 9-11 world in which fatterland security is peddling all kinds of money in a pathetic attempt to make the police an ad hoc extension of the military. By that rationale I don't think the 2 are comparable. Besides, there is no consitutional justification for what you're talking about let alone any chance of it ever happening. Even president africa doesn't have the political sand to to make that kind of stand.

Ordinary citizens don't take an oath and cops and soldiers are held to a much higher standard because their potential to abuse the power that comes with some of those weapons is much higher, especially in the psycho-paranoid post 9-11 world in which fatterland security is peddling all kinds of money in a pathetic attempt to make the police an ad hoc extension of the military. By that rationale I don't think the 2 are comparable. Besides, there is no consitutional justification for what you're talking about let alone any chance of it ever happening. Even president africa doesn't have the political sand to to make that kind of stand.

Interesting that you bring up soldiers. The military is doing things the civil population should emulate when it comes to mental illness. They've embraced the fact that war can and does cause PTSD (post traumatic stress disorder). PTSD can cause suicide and acts of violence against others. They have now begun programs to get rid for the tough guy image when it comes to mental illness. They are encouraging soldiers to open up and get help before it is too late. The air force is really taking huge steps and is having a lot of success.

NAMI | Mental Health in the Military

If we truly want to do help stop incidents like what happened in Tucson, we should be emulating proven methods like these.

We have enough laws. Laws will never prevent another shooting. Laws will not prevent a lunatic from blowing himself and other up. We were never promised life would be all good or all bad, just life.

We have enough laws. Laws will never prevent another shooting. Laws will not prevent a lunatic from blowing himself and other up. We were never promised life would be all good or all bad, just life.

In what situations, other than a combat zone, or a massacre, do you need more than 15 rounds per clip?

I mean, if you can't hit your target in 3 shots, you need to spend more time at the shooting range.

Nope, outside of law enforcement or the military, you DON'T need 30 round clips for a pistol.

Did you know that the AK-47 carries 35 rounds? Jared Laughtner was carrying almost as many rounds PER CLIP that the preferred assault rifle of terrorists carry.

What is the use of 30 round clips again?

In what situations, other than a combat zone, or a massacre, do you need more than 15 rounds per clip?

I mean, if you can't hit your target in 3 shots, you need to spend more time at the shooting range.

Nope, outside of law enforcement or the military, you DON'T need 30 round clips for a pistol.

Did you know that the AK-47 carries 35 rounds? Jared Laughtner was carrying almost as many rounds PER CLIP that the preferred assault rifle of terrorists carry.

What is the use of 30 round clips again?

It all depends on the amount of Mexicans in your neighborhood and how good a shot you are. They run like hell after the first few rounds are fired so you won't need a 30 round mag except for rallies when they would be falling over each other when you open up.

Forum List

Back