Gun Control, Gun Ban is not the answer

A Land Without Guns: How Japan Has Virtually Eliminated Shooting Deaths

Of the world's 23 "rich" countries, the U.S. gun-related murder rate is almost 20 times that of the other 22. With almost one privately owned firearm per person, America's ownership rate is the highest in the world; tribal-conflict-torn Yemen is ranked second, with a rate about half of America's.

But what about the country at the other end of the spectrum? What is the role of guns in Japan, the developed world's least firearm-filled nation and perhaps its strictest controller? In 2008, the U.S. had over 12 thousand firearm-related homicides. All of Japan experienced only 11, fewer than were killed at the Aurora shooting alone. And that was a big year: 2006 saw an astounding two, and when that number jumped to 22 in 2007, it became a national scandal. By comparison, also in 2008, 587 Americans were killed just by guns that had discharged accidentally.

The only guns that Japanese citizens can legally buy and use are shotguns and air rifles, and it's not easy to do. The process is detailed in David Kopel's landmark study on Japanese gun control, published in the 1993 Asia Pacific Law Review, still cited as current. (Kopel, no left-wing loony, is a member of the National Rifle Association and once wrote in National Review that looser gun control laws could have stopped Adolf Hitler.)

To get a gun in Japan, first, you have to attend an all-day class and pass a written test, which are held only once per month. You also must take and pass a shooting range class. Then, head over to a hospital for a mental test and drug test (Japan is unusual in that potential gun owners must affirmatively prove their mental fitness), which you'll file with the police. Finally, pass a rigorous background check for any criminal record or association with criminal or extremist groups, and you will be the proud new owner of your shotgun or air rifle. Just don't forget to provide police with documentation on the specific location of the gun in your home, as well as the ammo, both of which must be locked and stored separately. And remember to have the police inspect the gun once per year and to re-take the class and exam every three years.

A Land Without Guns: How Japan Has Virtually Eliminated Shooting Deaths - Max Fisher - The Atlantic

Why can't we do this?? We have to do something!!
Move

Must you always prove how ignorant you are?? Dealing with you is like dealing with a 2 year old that wants to take his tricycle to church and cannot understand why he can't.

Are you so afraid that you might not be able to shoot somebody that you don't even want to discuss how we can prevent more massacres?? Because I think that's what you really want, is to shoot somebody. You're just another Michael Dunn or George Zimmerman waiting to happen.

Must you always prove how ignorant you are??
Dealing with you is like dealing with a 2 year old that wants to take his tricycle to church and cannot understand why he can't.
I presume that's why you continue to post.

Are you so afraid that you might not be able to shoot somebody that you don't even want to discuss how we can prevent more massacres?? Because I think that's what you really want, is to shoot somebody. You're just another Michael Dunn or George Zimmerman waiting to happen.
Guess what?...There are laws against carrying weapons into courtrooms, and what is outside almost every courtroom in the nation?...Metal detectors and armed guards, that's what.

What new law/restriction do you propose is going to help the situation out in the rest of the world?

All this and you think you have the answer? Listen up numb nuts brain damage bitch no one knows other than the police how his mother was killed. Maybe she did have her firearms locked up and her son attacked her and got the key to her gun safe or the place where she kept her firearms secured. He could have attacked her with a knife got the keys and then shot her is she was killed with her firearms.
Only the murderer and the mother know the truth to that part. So stop suggesting that the mother paid for her stupidity as if she was not responsible, you don't know the whole story.

Tell you what biggie, I will give you the fact that I don't know if the weapons were locked up. And if her son killed her with a knife and then took the keys to the safe. I will admit I don't know that.

How about you addressing the bolded, big letter statment that I made.

Are you gun lovers gonna let gun control be dictated by crazies? Or are you gun lovers gonna do something to help?
My version of gun control is arm the public and get rid off all gun free zones.

You really ARE that stupid, aren't you???

Dealing with you is like dealing with a 2 year old that wants to take his tricycle to church and cannot understand why he can't.

Guess what?...There are laws against carrying weapons into courtrooms, and what is outside almost every courtroom in the nation?...Metal detectors and armed guards, that's what.

What new law/restriction do you propose is going to help the situation out in the rest of the world?

Why?? So you can answer with some stupid smartass remark?? I am so tired of you idiots.

Why?? So you can answer with some stupid smartass remark?? I am so tired of you idiots.
Fact is that you have no answer, other than to disarm everyone except the criminals, who by definition don't obey the laws.

Speaking of idiocy.

So you think a "crazy test" will suffice---:badgrin: I don't think so. They're is an old saying and it's very true--"crazy like a fox." There are many people in this country that can act--pass tests--and be as normal as your next door neighbor--and then go off and commit mass murder without anyone blinking an eye--and people who knew them are shocked that they were capable of doing what they did. It happens all of the time.

We have to ask ourselves--why we need assault weapons to be sold to the public today. They're certainly not for personal safety--unless you plan on getting attacked by 100's of people at once.

The only purpose of an assault weapon is to kill people in mass. And that couldn't have been more clear as to what this elementary school teacher had purchased and registered in her own name--that her nutcase son obviously had complete access too.

Here it is- Bushmaster .223-with a 30 round clip--sells for around $650.00

10182805.jpg

I own one just like that...30 round magazine and all.

I bought it in 1993 while I was in the Army, and in 19 years, somehow...crazy as it sounds...it not only has not killed anyone, it hasn't even been fired in anger.

How do you explain that???

Yeah I know--there are probably 100's of thousands of these type weapons that are owned by law abiding citizens that would never dream of hurting anyone with them.

BUT--why do you own one? Are you fearful you'll get attacked by 100's of people at once--do you feel it is really for your personal safety--because it sure isn't used for hunting. It's a kill people machine.

The problem we're having is that owners of these guns are USING them--as we witnessed in Aurora--and this nut-case today--got a hold of his mothers guns. So what is your solution to this problem?

BUT--why do you own one?

People own them because they’re likely the most accurate semi-auto target rifles available.

The direct impingement firing system allows for very accurate target shooting, the modular design allows for easy maintenance, and most models can accommodate a wide range of optics. I see them at the range all the time.

That the AR is a semi-auto rifle alone renders it not, not an ‘assault weapon.’

The only thing that stops a bad guy with a gun, is a good guy with a gun. Ban guns, or create gun control and create a black market, guess who has all the guns.

Fact is that you have no answer, other than to disarm everyone except the criminals, who by definition don't obey the laws.

Speaking of idiocy.

You're right. I have no answer for you. Talking to people like you is a waste of time. Go play with your guns and hope you don't do anything stupid.

Speaking of idiocy.

You're right. I have no answer for you. Talking to people like you is a waste of time. Go play with your guns and hope you don't do anything stupid.

Much like hyenas have what you could call a rudimentary communication system, but they cannot and do not try and 'talk' to a human.. your hyena ass would indeed be wasting time trying to talk to ones like Oddball and I on this matter... you just can't talk up to our level.... best go back with your other dumbass racist cohorts and jabber there

Don't be stupid America...

How many people are supposed to die before you see a simple fact;

psychos x guns = death

more guns available, more death

You don't have to be a rocket scientist to see this very simple fact. Quit fooling yourselves. And the most stupid part is, you are not living in the wild west anymore, so you DON'T need guns. Don't you see it is killing your children.

psychos x guns = death

You don't have to be a rocket scientist to see this very simple fact. Quit fooling yourselves. And the most stupid part is, you are not living in the wild west anymore, so you DON'T need guns. Don't you see it is killing your children.
Funny how you oh-so conveniently take the psycho out of the equation when it suits you.

No, not funny....Pathetic.

Speaking of idiocy.

Well, if we took away your computer, would that prevent you from making over emotional knee-jerk lolberal posts on the intewebz?

I'd bet not. :lol:

psychos x guns = death

Funny how you oh-so conveniently take the psycho out of the equation when it suits you.

You can not prevent people turning into psychos (yet at least), but you can prevent them getting their hands on guns. I think lives worth some pointless hobby. But you may think the other way, like hobbies worth lives(?!?!). This is your democratic right, I guess...

psychos x guns = death

You can not prevent people turning into psychos (yet at least), but you can prevent them getting their hands on guns. I think lives worth some pointless hobby. But you may think the other way, like hobbies worth lives(?!?!). This is your democratic right, I guess...
No, no you cannot.

That's where your pathetic premise falls apart like a cheap suit.

No, no you cannot.

That's where your pathetic premise falls apart like a cheap suit.

Like you know anything about illegal gun trade...

if you can not see the difference between buying a gun from your grocery store and buying a gun from a smuggler, I refuse to argue this subject with such a pity mindset...

"psychos x guns = death

more guns available, more death"

No.. more psychos available, more death. people kill people, guns don't kill people

8,000 + people killed last year while someone used a firearm
32.000 + people killed last year while someone drove a car on the highway

more cars available, more death ?

Liberal logic... (or lack of) so funny

Forum List

Back