Gun control can't work.

yota5

VIP Member
Feb 28, 2011
Mashpee, MA
It would be impossible for the left wing loonies to abolish guns/ weapons/ arms in this country. The 18th amendment tried this with alcohol. They only succeeded in giving organized crime a very lucrative opportunity. The Mafia, and the Kennedy family still remembers this fiasco with great fondness.

Those of us who are avid shooters know that there is a wealth of both professional, and amateur gunsmiths in this country. Take their livelihood away, and an instant cottage industry would be created. I'll bet that you're asking yourself what good a bunch of guys could do in the basement or their barn.

The answer. They would make some beautiful well crafted firearms. Do you think that isn't possible? At the turn of the century there was a group of wildcatters/ amateur gunsmiths who made target grade home made fire arms that were extremely accurate, and are still coveted by collectors today. They used automobile axles, laths, and milling machines to accomplish this.

Then we have the hand loaders. We re manufacture the ammo for our rifles, shotguns, and handguns. I have one load for a Remington 40XB Heavy varmint .222, that will put 5 shots into a .225 inch group at 100 yards.

Any attempt to abolish firearms would just drive gun manufacture, and ownership under ground. Just like the sale, and brewing alcohol was driven under ground by the 18th amendment. Should that happen the feds wouldn't have any control, and the amount of firearms available on our streets would increase dramatically . The mob would make tons of money, and liberals would remain stuck on stupid.

Have you ever noticed what a big charlie foxtrot is created when ever liberals get caught up in things that they don't know anything about?

It would be impossible for the left wing loonies to abolish guns/ weapons/ arms in this country.

Which left wing loonies want to make any sale and possession of firearms illegal in this country? That looks like a strawman.

Just about every despotic and totalitarian regime successfully banned firearms for the general population. The problem with your theory is, guns and ammo aren't chemically addictive to the human body. Therefore, the comparison to alcohol is invalid.

Do ya suppose those back yard gunsmiths could make enough semi-automatic pistols equipped with high capacity clips to meet the demand of the gang bangers and drug dealers?

Gun control efforts aren't to take away rifles and shotguns and collector's pieces. They are to rid our streets and neighborhoods of the vicious violence wrought by lunatics who think a semi-automatic Glock 9mm makes them the king of the street.

in vermont we have no gun laws, and it works fine.
that having been said, guns and booze don't mix, and it's never a good idea to bring a gun to an argument.

Last edited:
midnight, you aren't a shooter. You wouldn't understand.
I AM a shooter and raised that way all my life. It is YOU who do not understand. Please explain why totalitarian gun control has worked, everywhere it's been tried, and alcohol prohibition hasn't. I'll wait.

Do ya suppose those back yard gunsmiths could make enough semi-automatic pistols equipped with high capacity clips to meet the demand of the gang bangers and drug dealers?

Gun control efforts aren't to take away rifles and shotguns and collector's pieces. They are to rid our streets and neighborhoods of the vicious violence wrought by lunatics who think a semi-automatic Glock 9mm makes them the king of the street.

Never gonna happen, Nosmo.

Do you have any clue how many are out there?

And there are very few States that require registration of the firearm, so it isn't just difficult to track them down, it is literally impossible.

And there are very few States that require registration of the firearm, so it isn't just difficult to track them down, it is literally impossible.

mini's found his groove.

Here's a good way to stop. First, restrict the gun manufacturers, importers and merchandisers by banning the manufacture, sale, importation and distribution of handguns with semi or fully automatic firing systems. Next, the ammunition for these weapons similarly must be stopped.

At least stem the tide. Whenever such weapons are used in a crime, they should be smelted down and turned into manhole covers.

After a few years of no new guns and no ammunition, the violent assholes who find such weapons appealing and a worthy substitute for their manly shortcomings will have to resort to knife fights again. At least we never heard of a drive by knifing. No one can attempt to assassinate someone with a knife and kill nine innocent people by collateral knife thrusts.

Last edited:
Why is it that Prince George's County, MD and SE Washington DC average a murder a day and Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton never visit? But some loon with a high-cap Glock kills a bunch of people and they show up wanting to ban firearms. There are enough pistols in circulation that it would take decades for them to be totally eradicated. Law abiding, legally carrying citizens do not commit crimes. When I carry, which is everywhere except work, I go out of my way to avoid conflict so that my gun(s) stay in the holster(s). Gun control has little effect on thugs.

Last edited:
There's a difference between control and prohibition. Alcohol prohibition did not work, and neither would gun prohibition. But alcohol remains well regulated, and so too can guns.

There's a difference between control and prohibition. Alcohol prohibition did not work, and neither would gun prohibition. But alcohol remains well regulated, and so too can guns.

Good point. What might work to regulate firearms when it concerns thugs, gangbangers, criminals, etc?

Good point. What might work to regulate firearms when it concerns thugs, gangbangers, criminals, etc?
Eliminate their weapons of choice. Semi automatic concealable guns with high capacity clips.

I have no problem with hunters and sportsmen. I don't know any of them who use semi automatic weapons to hunt with. But semi automatic weapons with high capacity clips belong in well regulated militias, not on the streets.

Eliminate their weapons of choice. Semi automatic concealable guns with high capacity clips.

I have no problem with hunters and sportsmen. I don't know any of them who use semi automatic weapons to hunt with. But semi automatic weapons with high capacity clips belong in well regulated militias, not on the streets.

resort to knife fights again. At least we never heard of a drive by knifing.

we might

Erm....you do realize what a semi auto is, right? You're basically just saying that we should eliminate the clips. Which I'm okay with. Just pointing it out.

Outlawing the high-cap magazines will not eliminate them. They will be available for a long time plus they come in from other countries. We can't control the borders from which flows illegal weapons, drugs, and people. Also, why outlaw a product for law abiding people just because others use the product for illegal purposes? Maybe a social program could be developed. Something like midnight basketball or job training programs would give all the nice young men and women hope.

Maybe a social program could be developed. Something like midnight basketball or job training programs would give all the nice young men and women hope.

Something tells me that the pro-gun side of the country isn't going to go for that.

Stronger tracking and registration measures might be a good place to start.

I don't have a problem with that. All my weapons were bought legally and there is a paper trail from the seller to me. What about the criminal who steals or purchases his gun from another dirt bag? How is that regulated?

Forum List

Back