Gun Control and the Inner City

and what are the majority of people living in the city like compaired to people living in the sticks

There are definately divergences in culture.

It's been along time since I lived in a city, and I was in my teens, so I wasn't exactly focused on socio/economic factors, but I do visit urban centers. Unfortunately, I'm an outsider looking in, so my obsevations are tainted by my own cultural biases.

Personally, I'd start with more police protection, and we need to find a punishment that deters gun crime.

Well i will tell you i live in the city and its african american and latinos who create the sististics you just stated. And that's absolutily the truth, the incareration rates prove it year after year.

So, to hell with equal rights?

and what are the majority of people living in the city like compaired to people living in the sticks

It's been along time since I lived in a city, and I was in my teens, so I wasn't exactly focused on socio/economic factors, but I do visit urban centers. Unfortunately, I'm an outsider looking in, so my obsevations are tainted by my own cultural biases.

Personally, I'd start with more police protection, and we need to find a punishment that deters gun crime.

Well i will tell you i live in the city and its african american and latinos who create the sististics you just stated. And that's absolutily the truth, the incareration rates prove it year after year.

While that is true, through both fact and observation I can assure you that rural blacks and hispanics are no different than their white rural counterparts. I travel all over the country and I feel just as at home sitting on the porch with the black rural folks of Evergreen, Alabama and the Hispanic rural folks of Hildago, Texas as I do sitting on my own front porch in "Backforty", Missourah.

Race alone is irrelevant.

I am not saying that all your rural folks need to have your guns pried from your cold dead hands, but it’s time to ban handguns within the city limits of the US’s major cities. Handguns serve no purpose but to kill other people, and don’t try that home protection crap, a shotgun works just as well if not better for home protection. Handguns are the number one killer of youth in our major cities and it’s time we stop this insanity, really how many more people have to die?

Not a question you should be asking until the Supreme Court deems the right to bear arms Unconstitutional.

There is some element of the urban environment that contributes to the high crime rate that is not present in the rural environment. It's not gun ownership and it's not race.

While that is true, through both fact and observation I can assure you that rural blacks and hispanics are no different than their white rural counterparts. I travel all over the country and I feel just as at home sitting on the porch with the black rural folks of Evergreen, Alabama and the Hispanic rural folks of Hildago, Texas as I do sitting on my own front porch in "Backforty", Missourah.

Different races and compleatly different coultres. While rual mixed races are closer to each other than urban races, there are still vast differences. And it is thoes differences that hold minoritys in thie current status with their current statistics. People may consider this racism. But the truth is that it is a fact of what a culture values and no other reason.

So, to hell with equal rights?

What equal rights the equal right of every decent person living in the city has a being killed by these kids that run around blasting away at each other. Someone is killed everynight in my city by gun fire, every single night

I am not saying race is relevant, what i am saying is that it is blacks and latinos in the citys that are behind the majority of gun crimes in the US.

I am not saying race is relevant, what i am saying is that it is blacks and latinos in the citys that are behind the majority of gun crimes in the US.

From an Outsiders view, the problem is so complex it's hard to know where to begin, I don't want to compose a treatise on a message board.

The family unit has broken down.

Inner city education is a failure.
Parental discipline of children has broken down.

Inner city society has become a welfare society.

There is very little hope of escape from poverty without education...there is no hope of education without disciplined students.

Stifling union wages has pushed manufacturing to rural communities.

No jobs means more welfare....welfare becomes generational...the work ethic of the community is lost.

The 'have nots' see the 'haves' with IPods and IPads and new cars...the 'have nots' with no possible opportunity to earn, turn to crime to acquire luxury items.

Crime begets crime.

With no family unit structure to instill discipline and with no education without disciplined students, poverty and crime become cyclic.

So the question becomes "Can we break the cycle?".

Last edited:

From an Outsiders view, the problem is so complex it's hard to know where to begin, I don't want to compose a treatise on a message board.

The family unit has broken down.

Intercity education is a failure.
Parental discipline of children has broken down.

Intercity society has become a welfare society.

There is very little hope of escape from poverty without education...there is no hope of education without disciplined students.

Stifling union wages has pushed manufacturing to rural communities.

No jobs means more welfare....welfare becomes generational...work ethic of the community is lost.

The 'have nots' see the 'haves' with IPods and IPads and new cars...the 'have nots' with no possible opportunity to earn, turn to crime to acquire luxury items.

Crime begets crime.

With no family unit structure to instill discipline and with no education without disciplined students, poverty and crime become cyclic.

So the question become "Can we break the cycle?".

I really don't see how anyone can break the cycle. There are somethings that would perhaps change things around but in today's economic climate you cannot justify taking money from schools that preform well and giving it kids in the innercity. Also it's impossible to get good teachers/people who can make a positve impact on those kids lives into the inner city because no one wants to put up with the kids who have no concept of respect and authority. The kids themsleves are so brain washed in "thug" culture that getting good grades and trying to make something of yourself is looked at like your trying to be "white". How do you force people to care about their lives and the lives of their children? You can't.

There is some element of the urban environment that contributes to the high crime rate that is not present in the rural environment. It's not gun ownership and it's not race.
I was born and raised in Brooklyn of the 1940s and 50s, It was a wonderful place back then, mainly because it wasn't nearly as crowded as it's become. And I think the crowding is the factor you're alluding to.

Brooklyn was a city of ethnic neighborhoods back then but people generally got along quite nicely. They just preferred to live among those with whom they were most familiar but there was no general hostility. the crime rate was relatively low and while the gun laws were relatively relaxed (there was no ATF back then) there was very little gun violence or gun-related crime.

Today's Brooklyn is considerably more crowded and there is a pervasive atmosphere of alienation. I'm living in suburban New Jersey now and I would be utterly miserable if I had to move back to Brooklyn now.

Y'know, I keep asking this question, but no one has ever been able to answer it.

How to you plan on getting criminals to obey the law?

I can guarantee you the Latin Kings and Gangster Disciples don't go down to the local gun store to buy hand guns when they commit crimes, Washington DC has very strict gun laws and they still have a crime rate. Making guns illegal just takes away the average persons ability to protect themselves from these gangsters and crime rates actually go up, banning hand guns is a failure.

Hand guns are effectively banned in New Zealand and the hand gun crime rate is pretty much...zero.

New Zealand is a much smaller country and they don't have that much crime there anyways, the situation in New Zealand is totally different than here even if hand guns were legalized in New Zealand I doubt the crime rates would change very much. The bottom line is most people who commit crimes don't walk into a gun store to buy their fire arms.

I am not saying that all your rural folks need to have your guns pried from your cold dead hands, but it’s time to ban handguns within the city limits of the US’s major cities. Handguns serve no purpose but to kill other people, and don’t try that home protection crap, a shotgun works just as well if not better for home protection. Handguns are the number one killer of youth in our major cities and it’s time we stop this insanity, really how many more people have to die?
How would you suggest that a handgun ban be implemented and enforced? Please be specific.
NYC, guns are heavily regulated.
Works out just fine.
Have you yet gathered the information necessary to show that the "heavy regulation" of handguns in NYC is the reason for the decline of crime in NYC, as you have claimed?

I am not saying that all your rural folks need to have your guns pried from your cold dead hands, but it’s time to ban handguns within the city limits of the US’s major cities.
This violates the US Constitution. Case closed.

The Consitution is not written in stone. Stop living in the 18th century.

Neither is it written on toilet paper, so stop wiping your ass with it.

One does not have to live in the 18th century to respect the laws under which our nation operates and abide by them.

The Supreme Court (the highest court in the land) has already ruled on the issue of "the right to bear arms" and said that all citizens have a right to possess a firearm in their home for self-defense. So, cities cannot ban firearms in the home.
A firearm is only as dangerous as its owner. There are approximately 200+ million firearms in the hands of 70 million private citizens (I own several myself). The criminal element make up a miniscule portion of that population. The vast majority are law abiding people who are not dangerous and we're also about 70 million voters.

I am not saying that all your rural folks need to have your guns pried from your cold dead hands, but it’s time to ban handguns within the city limits of the US’s major cities.
Your only option, then, is to amend it.
Until then, your idea violates the Constitution. No further case need be made against it.

One does not have to live in the 18th century to respect the laws under which our nation operates and abide by them.

I also like to piss on it after i wipe my ass with it. Which law is more important, the universal right to life or the right to have a gun and I am sure in your world these two are connected but the reality for alot of people in this country is the laws that allow every dumbass on the street access to guns vilolates their right to life.

Your only option, then, is to amend it.
Until then, your idea violates the Constitution. No further case need be made against it.

I am not saying all guns need to be regulated, i am a hunter, i have shotguns that i use to hunt and i live in the city. My point is handguns and assult rifles need to banned from citys. These type of firearms are only made to kill, that is it, no other reason then to kill people. The constitution says nothing about what types of fire arms people are allowed to have.

Which law is more important, the universal right to life or the right to have a gun
False dichotomy - you're offering only two choices when more exist.

In all reality - that is, actually reality, not the fear-laden, self-loathing, close-minded, state-dependent world of the rabid anti-gun left - my right to own a fiream in no way endangers your right to life.

Your idea violates the Constitution.
Until you change the Constitution, that will continue to be the case.

Forum List

Back