Guitar pickers

jwil59

Fins Up!!
Mar 21, 2011
In my humble opinion this is the best guitar player alive today. Tommy is from Australia but was pretty much a Chet Adkins understudy.

Check him out

Last edited by a moderator:
In my humble opinion this is the best guitar player alive today. Tommy is from Australia but was pretty much a Chet Adkins understudy.

Check him out

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=muUzaCFPxOg

He's definitely one of the top pickers in the world today. I first heard of him when he did an album with Chet Atkins. Tommy's playing is nothing short of phenomenal. He's right up there with pickers like Leo Kottke, Michael Hedges (RIP), Phil Keaggy, Monte Montgomery and, of course, Chet Atkins (RIP).

Wow. Had never seen it.

I remain convinced DiMeola could play Flight of the Bumble Bee on a kitchen mop and make it sound awesome (that was an Ovation, right?)

And McLaughlin looks bored.....even though you can't see his fingers moving. Anyone who can pull off the grey mullet while laying down riffs that are impossible to transpose is pretty freaking cool in my book.

That was amazing! Thanks Douger!

Great guitar players?

Here's two of the best known to man

and

and one who is, I think completely overlooked because he was a POP star who could do this

but became famous for doing things like this

This is, in my opinion the best cover of this Doors number ever done. And it also made the top of the charts at roughly the same time that the Doors version was playing on the radio, too.

And my guess is if you're under thirty maybe even 40, you never heard of this guy.

Weird how that happens to artists.

You're right about Feliciano, editec.

He doesn't get the credit he deserves. He is truly amazing, and often cites his blindness as a real advantage in his training. I have heard him do things on a guitar that are theoretically impossible, and have racked my brain trying to figure out how he did it without having 3 hands. Seriously fast.....and more precise than an atomic clock.

My favorite acoustic player Rev. Gary Davis. Blind and picks with only two fingers.

[youtube]3_Hbuf6FEoY[/youtube]

[youtube]RvoKuQPVEdU[/youtube]

Uncle Ferd says Chachi was purt good in dat movie Crossroad.
:cool:

Chachi?.....

Sounds like confusion between Scott Baio and Ralph Macchio. They do look a lot alike. What's cool is that Steve Vai did the guitar parts for both parts of the last part of the duel in the 1986 movie Crossroads. (Ry Cooder did the slide stuff.)

Gotta give props to jwil....

I spent the weekend listening to Tommy Emmanuel here and there. The guy is amazing, simply amazing.

Knopfler is another great one.

But Emmanuel.....wow.....wasn't aware of him (not sure how???), but he is incredible.

Forum List

Back