2 tablespoons olive oil
13 ounces boneless stew beef cut into 1-inch cubes
1 onion finely chopped
3 cloves garlic finely chopped
1 teaspoon dried oregano
salt to taste
6 ounces mild cheese like Munster

1. Preheat the oven to 400.
2. Put the cabbage in a pan. Cover with water and boil until soft (about 12 minutes). Drain.
3, Put the bread in a bowl, pour the milk over it and let it set for 5-7 minutes. Squeeze the bread to get rid of the milk.
4. Put one tablespoon of the oil in a skillet and brown the beef over medium-high heat. Remove the beef and add onions, garlic and oregano to the skillet. Cook, stirring often for a few minutes. Add the beef back to the pan, mixing thoroughly along with salt. Remove from heat.
5. Put the rest of the oil in a skillet over medium heat. When hot, add the softened bread and cook until lightly golden, stirring frequently. Mix in the cabbage. Add eggs and a touch of salt and pepper and mix thoroughly. Continue to cook for 2 minutes.
6. Mix everything together and put it into a 9x13 pan. Put thin slices of the cheese on top and bake for 15 minutes until the cheese melts.

There is a slew of recipes out there because every body makes it different. This is a really old recipe that takes the name from a comic strip of a husband (Don Fausto) and wife characters similar to Archie and Edith Bunker. The comic strip was popular in Chile. I don't know if the comic strip was actually done in Chile.

I found it to be good but a bit bland. A good bland but....
The recipe came from a book Tasting Chile by Daniel Joelson.

Hmm...I would deglaze the pan with red wine, allow that to reduce, add red pepper flakes maybe...toss that in before baking.

Forum List

Back