Guess Who's Opposing Legal Marijuana?

Big Alcohol Backs ‘No on Prop. 19' Campaign

Posted: 16 Sep 2010 09:01 AM PDT

California campaign finance reports disclose that The California Beer & Beverage Distributors Association is one of the primary financial backers of Public Safety First, sponsors of the ‘No on Prop. 19' campaign.

Booze Lobby Funding the No on 19 Campaign
via The East Bay Express

The California Beer & Beverage Distributors disclosed it donated $10,000 to defeat Prop 19 — which would regulate and tax marijuana like alcohol. The alcohol lobbyist’s funds will help spread the lie that employers must tolerate stoned employees, and the talking point that ‘California doesn’t need another legal, mind-altering substance.’ Alcohol causes an estimated $38 billion in costs in California each year from emergency room visits, arrests, etc, according to the Marin Institute. There are roughly 3,500 deaths annually from alcohol-related illness and more than 109,000 alcohol-related injuries in California. Conversely, pot caused 181 emergency room visits in 2008, according to a study by the non-partisan RAND Corporation, despite being used by more than four million Californians monthly.

Read the full story here: Big Alcohol Backs ‘No on Prop. 19′ Campaign | NORML Blog, Marijuana Law Reform
It's all about competition.

I know the Michigan State Supreme Court just ruled that our Dispensaries of Medical Pot are Illegal. As we all knew would happen they have been abused like mad and most of the people using them are not really doing it for medical purposes. There are Ads running daily that say you can get your Medical Card with no medical Exam, and with out even meeting the Doctor writing the Script.

That is why I always opposed the Medical Pot play. Should just be able legalizing it all together. Then Doctors would be free to prescribe it to those that really need it. Everyone else would be free to use it recreational like. :)

It makes no sense to be keeping even 1 person in jail over pot. It makes no sense to create a black market out of a herb that grows in the damn ground.

Legalize it, Regulate it, Tax it, Be done with it. Concentrate on the really Destructive and Dangerous harder Drugs.

Last edited:
You know, we have so many problems and people are obsessed with marijuana.

Do you honestly think it's going to matter if marijuana is legal if we can't afford food?

Of course not. But is affording food a major concern to you now? If so, have you applied for food stamps?

I bet ya PHARMA is against it as well....?

marijuana legalization could heal California's economic problems, not hurt it?

Nothings going to heal California economic problems as long as legislators are suckholing the Unions, over regulating and taxing businesses and driving them out of the state.

I also think legalizing pot sets a poor example for our children... and so does being a drunk for that matter..
It sets a bad example for children whose parents are incapable of intelligently explaining the circumstances surrounding the marijuana issue to them.

It's really that simple.

California campaign finance reports disclose that The California Beer & Beverage Distributors Association is one of the primary financial backers of Public Safety First, sponsors of the ‘No on Prop. 19' campaign.

via The East Bay Express

The California Beer & Beverage Distributors disclosed it donated $10,000 to defeat Prop 19 — which would regulate and tax marijuana like alcohol. The alcohol lobbyist’s funds will help spread the lie that employers must tolerate stoned employees, and the talking point that ‘California doesn’t need another legal, mind-altering substance.’ Alcohol causes an estimated $38 billion in costs in California each year from emergency room visits, arrests, etc, according to the Marin Institute. There are roughly 3,500 deaths annually from alcohol-related illness and more than 109,000 alcohol-related injuries in California. Conversely, pot caused 181 emergency room visits in 2008, according to a study by the non-partisan RAND Corporation, despite being used by more than four million Californians monthly.

Read the full story here: Big Alcohol Backs ‘No on Prop. 19′ Campaign | NORML Blog, Marijuana Law Reform
This shouldn't come as a surprise. When small towns tried to ban the sale of alcohol who do you think were their greatest supporters? The preachers and bootleggers.

Last edited:
I know the Michigan State Supreme Court just ruled that our Dispensaries of Medical Pot are Illegal. As we all knew would happen they have been abused like mad and most of the people using them are not really doing it for medical purposes.
Yeah.....we hear about the carnage, daily.....

handjob.gif

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Qnwp6J7P20]Marijuana Inc. on MSNBC with Al Roker - Part 1 of 5 - YouTube[/ame]​

I bet ya PHARMA is against it as well....?

marijuana legalization could heal California's economic problems, not hurt it?

Nothings going to heal California economic problems as long as legislators are suckholing the Unions, over regulating and taxing businesses and driving them out of the state.

I also think legalizing pot sets a poor example for our children... and so does being a drunk for that matter..
It sets a bad example for children whose parents are incapable of intelligently explaining the circumstances surrounding the marijuana issue to them.

It's really that simple.

Yeah......too-much History is a bad-thing, in Teabaggerland.......

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYEcgsFT3oE&feature=player_embedded]Grass History Of Cannabis Marijuana [1/6] - YouTube[/ame]​

via The East Bay Express

This shouldn't come as a surprise. When small towns tried to ban the sale of alcohol who do you think were their greatest supporters? The preachers and bootleggers.

.....And, THEIR gangbangers o' the day.......

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDtW5k49BBM&feature=related]Prohibition and the Mafia (1of3) - YouTube[/ame]​

Legalizing pot not only does not set a poor example for children, as evidenced by The Netherlands example in which decriminalization in 1976 has resulted in a reduction in use by minors, it makes marijuana more difficult for minors to obtain, as per the example of alcohol and tobacco.

Bullshit.. If I wanted to live in a socialized county and have the government control more of my life that would be fine but I don't. You can quote statistics and I can care less.
I'm am confused though. What everyone is talking about is clearly returning freedom NOT taking it away. You said that legalizing it would be a bad example and I construe that to mean you do not want it legalized. If that is your position then you quite clearly DO want to live in a place that the government controls your life.
The argument against taxing it is bunk bullshit. If it is legal and you do not want to be taxed, then grow it. Otherwise, government taxes ALL products. Plain and simple. MJ would be no different.

Actually, DE-regulation has been extremely detrimental to California. Remember? Enron bilked 30 BILLION dollars out of California after deregulation of electricity and the cost of energy skyrocketed for consumers. Prices ALWAYS go up dramatically after de-regulation.
Bullshit comparison. That deal was botched in the way that it was crated. Far from simple deregulation, what CA did was give exclusive control of an industry to commercial interests. In essence, created monopolies that the people were solely subject too. We already know that monopolies cannot operate hand in hand with capitalism. What he is referring to is the business and job crushing regulations that CA creates. That is killing CA as people move elsewhere.

A good example of this is the housing industry there. CA houses are not simply more expensive because they are in CA, they are more expensive because the government inflates the cost of building them. Just to build a house you could be looking at 100K in permits and the like. THAT is not conducive to attracting people and business.
Just think of all the money we could raise in revenue if we legalized break ins and robbery? Just tax it, require a license. I mean MILLIONS of robberies and home break ins occur every year, we will never eradicate it. Think of the revenue we could get by simply ignoring morals and legalizing it.
Legalizing pot has nothing to do with morality. It has to do with FREEDOM. Robberies are an infringement on MY rights as is illegalizing pot that hurts no one. You are being an idiot here. Your values do not have rights over mine and just because you do not like pot does not mean I should not be allowed to use it.
Just think of all the money we could raise in revenue if we legalized break ins and robbery? Just tax it, require a license. I mean MILLIONS of robberies and home break ins occur every year, we will never eradicate it. Think of the revenue we could get by simply ignoring morals and legalizing it.

Why is it always the FREEDOM loving conservatives who want to legislate their version of "morality"?
They don't, he is not a conservative. He is a totalitarian.

Government should not dictate to a grown adult what they can put in THEIR body, of course it will be taxed and regulated; there is just no getting around that; but making money off of it seems like a better idea than spending money and man hours trying to keep people from doing something they are going to do anyway.

It is damn near impossible to outlaw sins of the heart or flesh in a free society, it only works in more totalitarian settings like Iran or China and I'll pass on that type environment.

Once the government has their foot in the door of course they will be dictating and why do you so readily acquiesce to being taxed and regulated..

Sure people are going to do it..
That is what they are doing NOW. What we are calling for is the legalization so that STOPS.

Tax plus more government and controls that everyone has to pay for. It's bullshit in my opinion. So.. rather than having the government supposedly knocking down your door, your willing to open the door and just let them in because of your fear of government..This doesn't seems nuts to you?

What "more government and controls" are you talking about? This isn't going to cost money, this is going to be a positive revenue stream for the government. This is going to pay down California's debt, not raise it.

I'm willing to pay the government a small tax for the right to smoke pot unmolested.

Don't you suspect that if government is going to tax pot that their going to set up controls and agencies to make sure they get their taxes paid. From growth of the weed to you sitting their puffing on a joint.

I don't have a problem with smoking pot, I have a problem with the government getting involved. I also have a problem with people so willing to give up their freedoms because of their fear of government...

Why can't we have both? I can brew beer in my garage and the government doesn't "control" it...unless I try to sell it. Why can't pot be the same way?

Illicit substance proliferation is in direct proportion to decline in traditional American work ethic and self-reliance ethos.

Illicit substance proliferation is in direct proportion to decline in traditional American work ethic and self-reliance ethos.

What a load of crap. Drug use has not only been around forever but it was far more used in the 1800's than today when things like Opium were accepted and there was zero government intervention in what you put in your body.

Forum List

Back