Guess who BP gave the most $$$ too?

You are either for corporations giving money to candidates or you are not for it.

I am against this and dont want ANY corporatoion giving money to anyone.

You guys only seem to dislike it when your candidates dont win the election afterwards.

Lets all back laws that end this permenately

So how come you're silent on Obama's lies?

How come the WH is lying about 'forcing' BP to pay?

He 'misrepresented the truth' in '08 when he said

Obama: Since the gas lines of the ’70s, Democrats and Republicans have talked about energy independence, but nothing’s changed — except now Exxon’s making $40 billion a year, and we’re paying $3.50 for gas. I’m Barack Obama. I don’t take money from oil companies or Washington lobbyists, and I won’t let them block change anymore. They’ll pay a penalty on windfall profits. We’ll invest in alternative energy, create jobs and free ourselves from foreign oil. I approve this message because it’s time that Washington worked for you. Not them.

Now, as the intelligent among us knew at the time - NO candidate was allowed to take money directly from corporations.

However, Obama did take $213k from people work for, or with a spouse working for, oil companies.

For the record, my opinion is that no corporation should be allowed to donate to a political party or campaign. So that blows your 'you guys' theory out of the water.

And what about the fact Cheney and his task force said the acoustic switch was too expensive at $500,000?
And couldn't this switch help prevent the oil spill?

Did Obama promise not to take these types of donations?

Is that what the right here is claiming?

Is that why President Obama is making them pay for the cleanup?

BP is obligated to pay for the cleanup. Obama had nothing to do with it.

Except through his mouthpiece Robert Gibbs "Keep the boot on the throat of BP". And telegraph to companies as large as BP what they have to look foward to from this Administration.

Come on Luissa....Cheney didn't have a goddam thing to do with the writing of safety related CFR's concerning MODU's and you know it. You're better than that.

The fact that Obama has once again gotten caught in another lie pisses you off...I can understand that. Obama took money from oil companies period...don't try to justify it by saying the unions made him accept it....

Where did I say the unions made him accept it? I don't think that sentence is even in my post, so please do not put words in my mouth.
I said the union supported Obama, so I have not surprised he recieved money. In that sentence or the one above, did I say the unions made him accept it?

OK...fair enough...don't justify Obama accepting BP money by saying the unions gave to him as well. That's intellectually dishonest. BP had a political agenda which was more offshore leases...they got them...Obama has now frozen any FURTHER granting of leases after 2012 due to this spill.

What are you even talking about? I said I wasn't surprised Obama recieved money from BP, because I knew he recieved money from their union.. I wasn't justifying anything, I was simply stating I wasn't surprised.
And I could care less Obama received money from them, he didn't cause the oil spill.

They might have given Obama money, which is not surprising, since the Union the BP oilworkers belong to, supported Obama. But it wasn't the Obama admistration that decided that remote shut off switches were not required on off shore oil rigs.. YOu can thank Cheney and his energy task force for that one.
Cheney?

Haliburton?

Deep Horizon?

:eek:

And what about the fact Cheney and his task force said the acoustic switch was too expensive at $500,000?
And couldn't this switch help prevent the oil spill?

The acoustic switch is not that reliable. That's why it's not widely used. But in this case
it should be noted that an acoustic switch would not have offered any extra protection. The instant that the explosion took place and the rigs electrical and hydraulic system went offline, the deadman’s switch should have tripped and closed the blind/shear rams. However, the BOP had been rendered non-functional and would not close. No additional control system would have changed this fact.

You are either for corporations giving money to candidates or you are not for it.

You guys only seem to dislike it when your candidates dont win the election afterwards.

Obama: Since the gas lines of the ’70s, Democrats and Republicans have talked about energy independence, but nothing’s changed — except now Exxon’s making $40 billion a year, and we’re paying $3.50 for gas. I’m Barack Obama. I don’t take money from oil companies or Washington lobbyists, and I won’t let them block change anymore. They’ll pay a penalty on windfall profits. We’ll invest in alternative energy, create jobs and free ourselves from foreign oil. I approve this message because it’s time that Washington worked for you. Not them.

Now, as the intelligent among us knew at the time - NO candidate was allowed to take money directly from corporations.

However, Obama did take $213k from people work for, or with a spouse working for, oil companies.

For the record, my opinion is that no corporation should be allowed to donate to a political party or campaign. So that blows your 'you guys' theory out of the water.

My friend's dad was one of those BP oil workers that gave money to Obama, and I could care less if he did.. He is a liberal, who agrees with Obama's politics, and should have ever right to donate to Obama's campaign. He is also not an evil oil man.

He didn't promise he wouldn't take oil company dollars. He said as a matter of fact "I don’t take money from oil companies".

Which we now know is a lie.

Obama isn't 'making' them pay for the clean up. There is no 'foot on the neck of BP' as Gibbs suggests. Because BP didn't wait to be forced to pay - they accepted responsibility BEFORE the government 'forced' anyone to do anything.

Are any lefties, besides SarahG, capable of separating fact from political point scoring?

This entire thread is based on "political point scoring".

Is there any proof at all that Mr Obama gave preferential treatment to BP due to campaign donations?

Did the President back any legislation or implement any executive decisions that may have helped cause this disaster in any way?

The answer is an emphatic "no".

But that doesn't stop the OP, and the rest of you from implying the opposite, now does it?

Which means, again, that the entire point of this thread is to "score political points".

Heck, two can play at that game if we really want to get down to it:

One of the main contributors to this disaster was HALLIBURTON.

Now, who benefits the most for HALLIBURTON, hmm?

Is that why President Obama is making them pay for the cleanup?

BP is obligated to pay for the cleanup. Obama had nothing to do with it.

Oh really?

If Obama is in the pocket of BP like the OP in this thread claims it would be easy enough to forgive BPs responsibility. Isn't that what political contributions are for? Future favors?

My friend's dad was one of those BP oil workers that gave money to Obama, and I could care less if he did.. He is a liberal, who agrees with Obama's politics, and should have ever right to donate to Obama's campaign. He is also not an evil oil man.

And he had every right to do so. My point is that this sort of thing goes on. Obama claimed he that he didn't take money from oil companies. NO POLITICIAN does. So his remark misrepresented the facts. Also, just because someone works for a particular company should not preclude that person from making a political donation.... it is also fact that corporations pay candidates through personal donations from its employees. That's a bad thing. See, things are often not black or white.... they are gray. Like Obama pretending that he's 'forcing' BP to pay.

Didn't you fringers celebrate the Supreme (well 5 our of 9) Court's decision wherein the justices sanctoned political contributions as free speech?
Many of us believed such an opinion threatened the very essence of our Republic - now the fringers whine and moan that the president, allegedly, accepted funds from an oil company.
Hypocrisy is the one main characteristic of a RWer, of this there is no doubt.

He didn't promise he wouldn't take oil company dollars. He said as a matter of fact "I don’t take money from oil companies".

Which we now know is a lie.

Employees of an oil company are not the same as the oil company itself.

Employees are in fact free to donate to whomever they want, as private citizens.

Did BP make a corporate donation to the Obama campaign? Do you have proof of that?

I'm willing to bet that you don't, mainly because such donations were illegal up until the recent supreme court decision, a decision that every one of you on this thread supported.

Didn't you fringers celebrate the Supreme (well 5 our of 9) Court's decision wherein the justices sanctoned political contributions as free speech?
Many of us believed such an opinion threatened the very essence of our Republic - now the fringers whine and moan that the president, allegedly, accepted funds from an oil company.
Hypocrisy is the one main characteristic of a RWer, of this there is no doubt.

The Supreme Court decision didn't require Obama to take oil company donations and then say he didn't.

Just sayin'.

And he had every right to do so. My point is that this sort of thing goes on. Obama claimed he that he didn't take money from oil companies. NO POLITICIAN does. So his remark misrepresented the facts. Also, just because someone works for a particular company should not preclude that person from making a political donation.... it is also fact that corporations pay candidates through personal donations from its employees. That's a bad thing. See, things are often not black or white.... they are gray. Like Obama pretending that he's 'forcing' BP to pay.

I didn't think he was saying he was forcing them to pay, I think he was making the point that they would. Which he has to do, because people like Lost Soul and others will bitch about him being too soft on them..

Forum List

Back