Guess there's no use in pretending

It's a show. The President is not serious about fixing this "fiscal cliff".

He wants it to happen!

This is how it will go down in my opinion. We go over the cliff, everyone taxes goes up...military spending gets cut, etc.
Democrats will have a campaign on blaming the GOP for raising taxes and cutting the military because they are protecting their rich buddies. Then Obama will propose new tax cuts for the middle class and military spending, which the Republicans can not vote against. Then "poof" Obama has positioned himself as the tax cut President that saved the middle class and economy while being a strong supporter of the military. The Republicans will then be treated as not caring about America and only about politics and the rich.

Check and mate.

Last edited:
As Fiscal Cliff Nears, Democrats Have Public Opinion on Their Side
13/12/2012

The Democrats are in a strong position with the public as they engage in negotiations to find a solution to the fiscal cliff crisis. Barack Obama’s first post-reelection job approval rating has risen to 55%, up five points since July and 11 points since the start of the year. Obama’s job rating is markedly higher than George W. Bush’s first job measure (48%) after he won reelection in 2004.

When it comes to the reaching an agreement to avoid the fiscal cliff, 55% say Obama is making a serious effort to work with Republicans. But just 32% say Republican leaders are making a serious effort to work with Obama on a deficit deal.

The latest national survey by the Pew Research Center for the People & the Press, conducted Dec. 5-9 among 1,503 adults, finds that the current problems for the GOP run deep. Just 25% approve of the way Republican leaders in Congress are doing their jobs, while 40% approve of Democratic leaders’ job performance. And the GOP’s lead negotiator, House Speaker John Boehner, is viewed more unfavorably (40%) than favorably (28%).

By a 53% to 33% margin, the public sees the Republican Party, rather than the Democratic Party, as “more extreme in its positions.” Democrats, on the other hand, are seen as “more willing to work with leaders from the other party” by roughly two-to-one (53% vs. 27%).

http://www.people-press.org/2012/12...-democrats-have-public-opinion-on-their-side/
Public opinion polls indicate that the majority of public opinion would blame the Republicans if the nation goes over the "fiscal cliff" on January 1st, 2013, putting added pressure on House leader Boehner to make a deal or face the consequences.

By basing their opposition primarily on preventing tax increases for the wealthiest 2%, the Republican/Tea Party have effectively "painted" themselves into a political corner, and its not up to the President and the Democrats to provide a "face saving" way to extricate themselves!

Last edited:
The only option for the Republicans is to let the Dems pass whatever they want? In the House just vote present and let the Democrats own it.

Obama held a whole 50 minute long meeting with Boehner to figure out how to solve the huge problems of our day. I'm guess Obama's ADD would kick in if he had to sit for the full hour.
handjob.gif

Yeah....listening to John Boner say "NO!", for 10 minutes (more) would make sooooooooooooo much sense!!

He wants it to happen!

This is how it will go down in my opinion. We go over the cliff, everyone taxes goes up...military spending gets cut, etc.
Democrats will have a campaign on blaming the GOP for raising taxes and cutting the military because the are protecting their rich buddies. Then Obama will propose new tax cuts for the middle class and military spending, which the Republicans can not vote against. Then "poof" Obama has positioned himself as the tax cut President that saved the middle class and economy while being a strong supporter of the military. The Republicans will then be treated as not caring about America and only about politics and the rich.

Check and mate.

Obama will never cut taxes for any group. He wants as much money as possible to embezzle to his cronies; just like he did with his stimuluses. Eventually though, the money will be so depreciated that chaos will occur.

He wants it to happen!

Democrats will have a campaign on blaming the GOP for raising taxes and cutting the military because the are protecting their rich buddies. Then Obama will propose new tax cuts for the middle class and military spending, which the Republicans can not vote against. Then "poof" Obama has positioned himself as the tax cut President that saved the middle class and economy while being a strong supporter of the military. The Republicans will then be treated as not caring about America and only about politics and the rich.

Check and mate.

Obama will never cut taxes for any group. He wants as much money as possible to embezzle to his cronies; just like he did with his stimuluses. Eventually though, the money will be so depreciated that chaos will occur.

Sure he will cut taxes. He doesn't need them to spend money. Remember Stimulus?

I'd sincerely like to know why these, uh, people are not in a room together eight to ten hours a day, with all of the most important decision-makers in attendance, hammering out the details of an agreement.

Oh, wait, they have higher priorities...

... getting in front of teevee cameras to point the finger at the other side
... speaking with key fundraisers
... checking the polls
... golfing
... checking fundraising checking account balance
... doing radio interviews to point the finger at the other side
... visiting salon so they look good on teevee
... meeting with staff to confirm that day's media interview schedule
... checking in with top campaign contributors to confirm they're happy

My bad. Sometimes I fall off the wagon and actually expect our "leaders" to be serious and put their country over their careers.

Why is it just Obama and Boehner? Why all this 'behind closed doors' negotiations nonsense? Oh, it's the Chicago way or no way. Got it.

Despite the fact that he’s a ranking member on the Senate Budget Committee, Sen. Jeff Sessions (R-Ala.) claims he has been excluded from the “fiscal cliff” negotiations.

In fact, according to the senator, he knows “almost nothing” about the ongoing talks between President Barack Obama and House Speaker John Boehner (R-Ohio). All he knows is that the “speaker was disappointed and things were not moving forward.”

“And we’ve now, at the end, fallen into this trap, I would suggest, of just having secret negotiations. I really wish we could have avoided it, but this was the strategy of the Democratic leadership in the Senate.”

Why Has This Ranking GOP Member Been Left out of ‘Fiscal Cliff’ Negotiations?

Obama held a whole 50 minute long meeting with Boehner to figure out how to solve the huge problems of our day. I'm guess Obama's ADD would kick in if he had to sit for the full hour.

Obama, Boehner talk fiscal cliff at W.H. - Jake Sherman and Carrie Budoff Brown - POLITICO.com

50 minutes was Boehner's idea. He's got used to it when he went in for "meetings" on that crying all the time thing. :cool:

So desperate to apologize for Obama. :badgrin:

Obama, Boehner talk fiscal cliff at W.H. - Jake Sherman and Carrie Budoff Brown - POLITICO.com

50 minutes was Boehner's idea. He's got used to it when he went in for "meetings" on that crying all the time thing. :cool:

You having trouble discerning between desperation and mockery? If anyone's desperate it should be Boehner. If he doesn't make a deal, the people will crucify him. If he does, his party will!

Nah, it only took 50 minutes for Bohner to cry on the Presients shoulder and say; save me Mr. President, save me. I am gonna loose my cushy ass job as Speaker IF you Mr President don't throw me a bone. Please Mr President.

That really only took 45 minutes. But Obama couldn't quit laughing for 5 minutes. Before he told John to man up and hit the door.

You having trouble discerning between desperation and mockery? If anyone's desperate it should be Boehner. If he doesn't make a deal, the people will crucify him. If he does, his party will!

I don't give a shit what you want to heap upon Boehner. Obama is the president. He is the one that is supposed to set the tone. If a 50 minute meeting is all he's got then that tells you something.

I don't give a shit what you want to heap upon Boehner. Obama is the president. He is the one that is supposed to set the tone. If a 50 minute meeting is all he's got then that tells you something.

Obama is waiting for Boehner to offer to raise taxes on the wealthy. So far it's just crickets. When Boehner offers to raise taxes on the wealthy, they can start talking.

Obama is waiting for Boehner to offer to raise taxes on the wealthy. So far it's just crickets. When Boehner offers to raise taxes on the wealthy, they can start talking.

Are you not following the news? Dems have offered raises in taxes with no real spending cuts.

Are you not following the news? Dems have offered raises in taxes with no real spending cuts.

Yes, I am reading the news. There have been modest cuts offered, only about three or four hundred million. Boehner has refused to offer any tax increases for the wealthy. That's the starting point in the negotiations. Even 60% of those people who voted Republican agree with taxing the wealthy.

You cannot cut social programs until the job market picks up. Defense is about the only area where you can make significant cuts, and defense cuts will add to unemployment.

If Boehner not does offer tax increases, he will offend most of the voters in the country. If he does offer to tax the wealthy, he offends the Tea Party faction of the Republican Party who have promised to make him pay at the polls.

Boehner is between a rock and a hard place, but it's the Republicans are the ones who painted themselves into this corner. First make a mess of the economy, and then refuse to reverse course. Stupid asses.

Forum List

Back