CDZ Guantánamo

Probably a third of the number that Obama let go and who have returned to the battlefield to savage more civilians and kill people...
I have not seen any data showing that any of the inmates (all uncharged) have gone to a battlefield somewhere or even returning to one. Would you please supply a link to your numbers? Thanks.

I'm surprised to find out that you don't know that fact. WELL known and documented. And no -- if you're THAT far behind in the facts concerning this issue, it would better if YOU looked it up.. It's FUNDAMENTAL to understanding the realities and scope of this problem.
I didn't expect you to provide data about freed inmates going to battlefields somewhere but you did surprise me by admitting you will not be doing so.

After Guantanamo, Freed Detainees Returned to Violence in Syria Battlefields

CASABLANCA—A decade ago, the U.S. released three hardened Moroccan militants from Guantanamo and turned them over to the Moroccan government on the assumption they wouldn't return to the battlefield.

They wound up leading one of the most violent Islamist groups fighting in Syria's civil war.

Their story serves as a cautionary tale days after President Barack Obama released five high-level Taliban figures from the same detention center in a swap for an American soldier held in Afghanistan for nearly five years.

By January 2014, about 29% of 614 detainees released from the prison at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba had returned to violence, according to the Director of National Intelligence.

100s of similar references. So not only are 30% of released detainees RETURNING to the battlefield, but MANY have become KEY leadership in conflict zones. Anything else you need help on to defend your opinion on Gitmo?
I would have liked to read the article you cited but there is a paywall on The Wall Street Journal.
You wrote: "Probably a third of the number that Obama let go and who have returned to the battlefield to savage more civilians and kill people..." Are you not interested in those released by George W Bush, then? I wonder why. "However, it’s worth noting that about 90 percent who re-engaged or were suspected of doing so were released before Obama took office when George W. Bush was president. It was while Obama was president that the percent of released detainees who re-entered the battlefield became a Republican talking point."
How many released Guantanamo prisoners re-offend?
So, are you saying about 30% of the 10 percent released by Obama or do you want to revise your estimate?

There's no paywall there for that article. I just dumped off the subscription offer and it came right up.. Besides, I just gave a 2nd source from the Wash Post and there are HUNDREDS of confirming stories. I can't work this hard to help you out here..

Nope. I refuse to make this issue partisan by arguing with you about PolitiFact. Which is basically a cheap Clift Notes for lefty talking points. Use the primary sources. Don't make risking US military personal and civilian lives political.

TWENTY FREAKING FIVE are "back in custody" Eloy.. Ponder just that. How many people were injured or died putting them BACK in custody after they returned to terrorism or the battlefield?

What was insane is was going to war in Iraq, Somalia, Libya and Syria. What is even MORE insane is releasing dangerous key people and leadership from Gitmo so we have to KEEP BEING in those hell holes.

What was insane is was going to war in Iraq, Somalia, Libya and Syria. What is even MORE insane is releasing dangerous key people and leadership from Gitmo so we have to KEEP BEING in those hell holes.
Well, the numbers you gave appear to be bogus and 90% relate to prisoners released by George W Bush. But you were quick to blame President Obama which suggests to me that you are not balanced in your approach to the topic because you are a Republican sympathizer. Had you shown an interest in the 90% released by George W Bush I would have accepted that you do want the truth after all.

You can still have a guess at what number you think will be in Guantánamo next January. I am watching Trump now, not George W Bush or Barrack Obama. I'm thinking the 41 will become 82.

Well, the numbers you gave appear to be bogus and 90% relate to prisoners released by George W Bush. But you were quick to blame President Obama which suggests to me that you are not balanced in your approach to the topic because you are a Republican sympathizer. Had you shown an interest in the 90% released by George W Bush I would have accepted that you do want the truth after all.

You can still have a guess at what number you think will be in Guantánamo next January. I am watching Trump now, not George W Bush or Barrack Obama. I'm thinking the 41 will become 82.

Right... So depending on WHEN POLITILie pulled those numbers, ALL you care about is how many were Bush's. You know -- I thought the WHOLE leftist outrage here was that GW was KEEPING people IN Gitmo. Not letting them out. There's no debate to be had when you DISMISS the RAW statistics from both the WSJournal and the WashPost and you need to run to talking points from PolitiLie.. The facts remain. 30% go back to war with the world. And letting them OUT is a HUGE slap at the folks who put their lives on the line to keep us safe and get us out of Hell Holes we never should have been in the 1st place.

/unsubscribe -- Useless debate...

Right... So depending on WHEN POLITILie pulled those numbers, ALL you care about is how many were Bush's. You know -- I thought the WHOLE leftist outrage here was that GW was KEEPING people IN Gitmo. Not letting them out. There's no debate to be had when you DISMISS the RAW statistics from both the WSJournal and the WashPost and you need to run to talking points from PolitiLie.. The facts remain. 30% go back to war with the world. And letting them OUT is a HUGE slap at the folks who put their lives on the line to keep us safe and get us out of Hell Holes we never should have been in the 1st place.

I'll take your post to mean you prefer not to predict the numbers in Guantánamo KL this time next year.

I'll take your post to mean you prefer not to predict the numbers in Guantánamo KL this time next year.

I already DID that. I gave you a MINIMUM expected number. Based on solid evidence of past mistakes in letting people out of there. So I'm done. And no debate can occur if folks are desperately trying to find ways to ignore the evidence and the facts.

Forum List

Back