Guadalcanal

The generation is almost gone. This is sad. My dad was at Guam, my stepdad waded across the lagoon at Tarawa, and they both fought (Army and Marines) at Okinawa. They both always said it was the other guys who were heroes. Yet they were both decorated for valor, several times. The GD and WWII generations were not perfect, but we are midgets in their shadows.

It was not a generation of 'highfives' for the slightest thing.

As I remember the story:
Before the marines landed on Guadalcanal, the Australian39th Batallion, Home Guard were trying to keep the Japanse from taking Port Moresby PNG. This action took place on the Kakoda Track. The Australians stopped the Japanese and turned the Japanese back. After the battle the Australians had a contest of some type and the winning unit was rewarded with a leave to home, Australia. The winning unit went home and to a man did not return.

As I remember the story:
Before the marines landed on Guadalcanal, the Australian39th Batallion, Home Guard were trying to keep the Japanse from taking Port Moresby PNG. This action took place on the Kakoda Track. The Australians stopped the Japanese and turned the Japanese back. After the battle the Australians had a contest of some type and the winning unit was rewarded with a leave to home, Australia. The winning unit went home and to a man did not return.

You forgot the link.

The generation is almost gone. This is sad. My dad was at Guam, my stepdad waded across the lagoon at Tarawa, and they both fought (Army and Marines) at Okinawa. They both always said it was the other guys who were heroes. Yet they were both decorated for valor, several times. The GD and WWII generations were not perfect, but we are midgets in their shadows.

We could do the same. Don't totally disount our generation. I had a granpa that was born in 1896. he had it even tougher before the Great depression.

My Division

225px-1st_MARDIV_2_insignia.png

The father of one of my closest friends fought at Guadalcanal. Back in the 70s, we never knew because he never shared anything. All his son knew was he was in WWII. That is until near his death a few years back. He opened up to his son and told his story.

He was drafted into the Americal Division of the army. This is the division that relieved the Marines at Guadalcanal. There was still much fighting to do.

He won the bronze star for pulling the firing pin on his machine gun after his position was overrun one night by Japanese. All were killed but him and his training kicked in, he pulled the pin and ran for his life.

His best buddy was shot in another engagement and bleed out in his arms crying for his mother...he as 18 years old.

The conditions were horrible. Wet, hot, full of insects.

They would watch the aerial combat above their position and cheer on American pilots, who lost more than they won.

When the war was over he came home and promised himself he would never get on another boat or plane. He never did. Married his childhood sweetheart and had two kids. Worked in an auto shop and always refused promotions. He was very quiet and lived a simple life. No doubt experiencing hell at 18 years of age had something to do with all that.

Last edited:
The father of one of my closest friends fought at Guadalcanal. Back in the 70s, we never knew because he never shared anything. All his son knew was he was in WWII. That is until near his death a few years back. He opened up to his son and told his story.

He was drafted into the Americal Division of the army. This is the division that relieved the Marines at Guadalcanal. There was still much fighting to do.

He won the bronze star for pulling the firing pin on his machine gun after his position was overrun one night by Japanese. All were killed but him and his training kicked in, he pulled the pin and ran for his life.

His best buddy was shot in another engagement and bleed out in his arms crying for his mother...he as 18 years old.

The conditions were horrible. Wet, hot, full of insects.

They would watch the aerial combat above their position and cheer on American pilots, who lost more than they won.

When the war was over he came home and promised himself he would never get on another boat or plane. He never did. Married his childhood sweetheart and had two kids. Worked in an auto shop and always refused promotions. He was very quiet and lived a simple life. No doubt experiencing hell at 18 years of age had something to do with all that.
Well said!

My father was one of the "dogfaces" who relieved the Marines on Guadalcanal. He didn't brag about his experience in the War but things he did tell us contrasted with the typical Gung-Ho format of most WW-II movies. The outstanding exception to that is The Thin Red Line, which I have watched at least ten times because it fits with a click into everything my father told us about the cleanup on that island.

By 1945 47 army infantry regiments had sustained at least 100% casualties and some over 200%. If we go by the days in combat the army 2nd division holds the record. Pacific combat was much different than European, in the Pacific often short and sweet and in Europe long and grinding. If I could pick my theater it would be the Pacific.

Guadalcanal was a gutsy move early in the war and the Marines were the logical choice for the job. The darling of the Navy establishment, Admiral Ghormley was chosen to lead the operation and soon the Marines found out that the Navy had abandoned the operation and left them on Guadalcanal to starve and die like the Army in Bataan. Admiral Nimitz was shocked when he visited Ghormley's base of operations and immediately relieved him of duty and replaced him with Admiral Halsey. The first message Halsey sent to the Marines was greeted with cheers "kill Japs, kill Japs, kill more Japs".

My personal hero of Guadalcanal was Sgt John Basilone. Basilone was in charge of two sections of heavy machine guns, about 20 men, in a two day fight against a direct assault by 3,000 Japanese near Henderson Field. Sgt Basilone repaired weapons under fire, encouraged his men and went through enemy fire for ammunition. By the end of the battle he held off the Japanese assault with a .45 and he and two other Marines were all that was left. Basilone was awarded the Medal of Honor and went on a bond tour with the Hollywood stars. His good looks, something like another Marine, actor Tyrone Power, could have been the ticket to the big time but he chose to go back to his men. He was killed in action on Iwo Jima in Feb. 1945.

Forum List

Back