Grrrrrr

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by CSM, Dec 8, 2004.

1. CSM

CSM Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +708
    Sometimes Rumsfeld is such a jerk!

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=542&ncid=718&e=2&u=/ap/20041208/ap_on_go_ca_st_pe/rumsfeld

Troops Put Tough Questions to Rumsfeld

It really irks me that Rumsfeld gave an answer like that. The troops deserve better. Yes, go to war with the Army you have; BUT you better be trying like hell to make it better! Half assed rhetoric about producing stuff as fast as you can is pure bullshit; then add insult to injury by implying they dont NEED armor....

Steaming mad now!

2. Comrade

Comrade Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +167
    AP ALERT ---- AP ALERT ---- AP ALERT

Quoted text WILL be taken out of context to reflect whatever tone the author chooses, in this case insensitivity to the troops.

Note where the author finishes the limited quote with his own 'context'.

Instead of what is likely something along the lines of "My Commander taught me that you go to war with the Army you have, etc...."

and

You see the liberties the author takes?

As far as one answer, there is simply no quoted text but the authors 'interpretation'.
    (Just like that, hmm? Not really!)

"It's basically a sound principle, it's nothing new, it's been well understood" by soldiers, he said. "My guess is it will continue to be used as little as possible, but that it will continue to be used."

Set moonbat filter to Code Orange when reading all AP 'articles'.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  3. CSM

CSM Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +708
    good point

4. krisy

krisy Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +112
    Just heard a clip of this on the radio too,the part they played made him sound like an ass. Ahhhh the media,gotta love em!!!! :puke3:

5. CSM

CSM Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +708
    Just in case anyone hasn't noticed, I tend to get a bit testy when it comes to taking care of the troops. I overlooked the fact that the media tends to slant anything to do with Iraq and the war on terror.

6. Merlin1047

Merlin1047 Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +450
    After reading your original post, I was very interested in hearing or reading what Rumsfeld had to say. Michael Savage played an excerpt which matches Comrade's post. Savage was going off about it, but he's a loon anyway. What I heard Rumsfeld say made sense to me.

Rumsfeld made the mistake of telling the unvarnished truth. That's never popular with the lib media. He didn't throw out any warm fuzzies, he didn't pull any punches and he didn't gloss anything over. Seems that blunt honesty is the kiss of death - especially when it comes to dealing with the press.

What I'm interested in is seeing that the administration is doing all it can to ease the problem. What I'm curious about is why an aircraft mechanic asked this question. Somehow I doubt that he's out scrounging scrap metal in land fills. But nevertheless I still think it was a good question which needed to be asked. Rumsfeld didn't have a good answer, but at least he gave an honest one.

7. Fmr jarhead

Fmr jarhead Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +103
    AS shown on the nightly news....our troops have been "adapting, adjusting and improvising" to find their own solutions which include getting the materials in any place they can to weld, and attach more armor to the vehicles that are going in to harm's way. I am not saying this is the solution, but their actions are another testament to the adaptability of our young men an women in the face of adversity, utilizing the skills and creativity to find solutions that work, NOW, and not waiting for the govt to provide the solutions for what ails them!

Shoudl changes be made....YES! Are changes being made....YES. Are the troops doing their best to make their current situation better? YES

If less of our tax money was spent for wasteful pork that lawmakers jammed in to the omnibus spending package there would be even more funding for the safety of the troops and provide better equipment.

Get involved...register and make your voice heard! www.cagw.org

8. Comrade

Comrade Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +167
    It looks like LGF also picked up the thread and comments on AP bias here:

http://littlegreenfootballs.com/weblog/?entry=13883_Media_Spin_vs._Reality#comments

Is Charles, the Grand Lizardoid himself, reading the USMB?

Also note the perspective of the same speech heard by a soldier that was actually there.

http://www.missick.com/

9. CSM

CSM Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +708
    I have since seen the videos of the entire thing and Rumsfeld was indeed blunt and to the point; he was also exactly right in saying that "... it is not a matter of money or a matter of will for the US Army; it's a matter of production..." That little piece was left off every quote I could find in the public media. I have since learned that the kits for uparmoring the vehicles were produced at a rate of 15 per month prior to combat in Iraq. They are now produced at a rate of 450 a month.

As for an aircraft mechanic asking that question; that i can understand. Many, many units have assumed "non-standard" missions in Iraq. Artillery units, and aviation units in particular have assumed light infantry mission. The reason is obvious: the US Army does not have enough troops trained as light infantry.

10. Comrade

Comrade Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +167
    I also caught that clip, the part where the soldiers cheered his question does put things into perspective!

However, even more unsettling is that it now appears Rumsfeld was ambushed by the media after all. Not just in the aftermath, either! The question actually orginated from a reporter!

And would you imagine, that this whole affair is a media manufactured event.

:banana2: