grrr ISP gives me the boot

dilloduck

Diamond Member
May 8, 2004
Austin, TX
I have netzero and it disconnects me due to "inactivity". any recommendations? There must be a setting I should adjust

dilloduck said:
I have netzero and it disconnects me due to "inactivity". any recommendations? There must be a setting I should adjust
My brother has the same problem.
They basically told him "tuff"
He's going to Netscape for $9 mo.
I didn't even know they were in the isp biz.

Mr. P said:
My brother has the same problem.
They basically told him "tuff"
He's going to Netscape for $9 mo.
I didn't even know they were in the isp biz.

Sounds like a good solution to me ! I've been seeing some new adds for netscapes ISP where they claim to be better than netzero

dilloduck said:
Sounds like a good solution to me ! I've been seeing some new adds for netscapes ISP where they claim to be better than netzero
I haven't heard anything about how good etc yet, but anything would be better than a disconnect every 30mins. That's what was happening to him.

Mr. P said:
I haven't heard anything about how good etc yet, but anything would be better than a disconnect every 30mins. That's what was happening to him.
about the same here---annoying to say the least

Try going into your control panel, then go into internet options, once you open up internet properties click on settings, then click on properties, then click on dialing tab and uncheck the boxes that read enable idle disconnect and disconnect when connection may not be needed that should solve your problem.

khafley said:
Try going into your control panel, then go into internet options, once you open up internet properties click on settings, then click on properties, then click on dialing tab and uncheck the boxes that read enable idle disconnect and disconnect when connection may not be needed that should solve your problem.

hmmmmm is that feature on win xp---just installed it but don't see what you talking about--I'm thinking it's just the ISP

If that solves the problem let us know Dillo. My understanding is the disconnect
is coming from Netzero, which means nothing you do on your side will have any effect at all. I really don't know for sure since I don't use them, but I am interested if finding out.

Mr. P said:
If that solves the problem let us know Dillo. My understanding is the disconnect
is coming from Netzero, which means nothing you do on your side will have any effect at all. I really don't know for sure since I don't use them, but I am interested if finding out.
Don't see a dialing tab under internet properties on XP---could it be somewhere else maybe?

Mr. P said:
Yes...control panel.."network and Internet connection" select "setup or change" then
"connections tab" then "settings" then "advanced"
ok found it---both boxes related to disconnect after ----- or not checked. Must be ISP

dilloduck said:
hmmmmm is that feature on win xp---just installed it but don't see what you talking about--I'm thinking it's just the ISP

The instructions I gave are what I have to do to solve that problem. I am using windows ME. It looks like P was able to help you though and sounds like it probably is your ISP. Bummer.

khafley said:
The instructions I gave are what I have to do to solve that problem. I am using windows ME. It looks like P was able to help you though and sounds like it probably is your ISP. Bummer.
I appreciate you help tho---don't have any idea on how to help you with yours!

Thought I'd let you know, I just switched to Netscape and so far so good, of course I've only been using it for the day, but no unexpected disconnects. $9.95 month for those of us who can't get DSL or broadband yet.

khafley said:
Thought I'd let you know, I just switched to Netscape and so far so good, of course I've only been using it for the day, but no unexpected disconnects. $9.95 month for those of us who can't get DSL or broadband yet.

Have you looked into satellite access? I have it and it is good stuff.

no1tovote4 said:
Have you looked into satellite access? I have it and it is good stuff.

I have considered it, however my hubby plays Delta Force online, and from what I have been told satelite is no better then dial up for online games.

khafley said:
I have considered it, however my hubby plays Delta Force online, and from what I have been told satelite is no better then dial up for online games.

The two-second delay will kill you every time.

Forum List

Back