Growing Season Shortening.... Is it time to Panic?

You are a terrible reader, since post one FOCUSES on GROWING DEGREE DAYS, you have not addressed this at all. You bring up temperature trends and long term harvest rates.

HINT:

"Growing degree days (GDD) are a measure of heat accumulation used by horticulturists, gardeners, and farmers to predict plant and animal development rates such as the date that a flower will bloom, an insect will emerge from dormancy, or a crop will reach maturity.

In the absence of extreme conditions such as unseasonal drought or disease, plants grow in a cumulative stepwise manner which is strongly influenced by the ambient temperature. In other words, GDD values provide a best case outlook as to plants' pace to maturity."
And for the last time..
I addressed that Twice and in TWO ways above.

1. BillyBoob is using a short term Solar Minimum of the last few years only. (I have warned against previous)
I am using stats 30+ years and more.

2. Growing Corn well up into Canada takes Length of season, not just heat.

3. You are Both Too Stupid and Partisan to debate.

`
EDIT:
I warned against/explained this Fallacious line when he Abused it in his 'Arctic Minimum' thread too.

`

Last edited:
In NY the State transportation Department cut all of the roadside wildflowers right up to the trees that are now totally covered with invasive grape vines. Sheer madness if we're concerned about helping the bees

I wouldn't panic just yet but the implications are very serious. Some of the US Bread Basket has lost almost two months of growing days in the last two years and if we extrapolate this out to the entire US it has some frightening results.

I took the US-CRN data base and applied the model to it... and here is the general outcome; (please note this is a very basic extrapolation and altitude makes a huge difference)

upload_2019-9-8_8-36-42-png.278117

Above are the number of days reduction that have happened in just two years. When you consider we need the days to get two plantings and harvests, this cuts our output in half for many grains and food plant products...

We have dropped just 0.6 deg C, IF we lose another 1-2 deg C these numbers will increase rapidly. When we can not get even one season long enough for plants and food to mature, millions of people starve... Its not just the US that is being affected it is BOTH HEMISPHERES...

Source: ice age farmer :: grand solar minimum growing degree days analysis

H/T Sunsettommy

So now its global cooling? LOL

You are a terrible reader, since post one FOCUSES on GROWING DEGREE DAYS, you have not addressed this at all. You bring up temperature trends and long term harvest rates.

HINT:

"Growing degree days (GDD) are a measure of heat accumulation used by horticulturists, gardeners, and farmers to predict plant and animal development rates such as the date that a flower will bloom, an insect will emerge from dormancy, or a crop will reach maturity.

In the absence of extreme conditions such as unseasonal drought or disease, plants grow in a cumulative stepwise manner which is strongly influenced by the ambient temperature. In other words, GDD values provide a best case outlook as to plants' pace to maturity."
And for the last time..
I addressed that Twice and in TWO ways above.

1. BillyBoob is using a short term Solar Minimum of the last few years only. (I have warned against previous)
I am using stats 30+ years and more.

2. Growing Corn well up into Canada takes Length of season, not just heat.

3. You are Both Too Stupid and Partisan to debate.

`
EDIT:
I warned against/explained this Fallacious line when he Abused it in his 'Arctic Minimum' thread too.

`

1) is a lie because he never said a word about Solar Minimum in post one, that was from the LINK saying it.

2) again you make clear you don't understand the DIFFERENCE between GDD and Length of growing season. I gave you a new link in the hope you finally get it, but NOoooooo

Here it is again, from post 20

"Understanding growing degree-days

Growing degree-days, or heat units, help growers and researchers track the development of plants and pests.

August 25, 2017 - Author: Bob Battel, Michigan State University Extension

Growing degree-days (GGDs), while not perfect, are a more reliable method of predicting crop and insect development than calendar days. Differing threshold temperatures and beginning accumulation dates are used to determine accumulated heat units for different crops. For example, a cool-season crop like alfalfa uses a threshold temperature of 41 degrees Fahrenheit and a starting date of March 1, whereas a warm-season crop like corn uses a threshold temperature of 50 F and the planting date as the starting date.

The threshold, or base temperature, is the temperature under which no significant crop development is expected. That is, it is assumed alfalfa does not grow at temperatures less than 41 F and corn does not grow at temperatures less than 50 F. Also, an upper-end cutoff temperature is used in the calculation. Crops don’t grow any more at temperatures greater than 86 F than they do at temperatures less than 86 F. Keep that in mind later when we talk about calculating GDDs.

There are two methods for calculating GDD. The first method is simpler and the second method involves higher level mathematics, but is more accurate, especially at cooler temperatures."

bolding mine

41 and 50 F are well above freezing, but that understanding flew over your bald head.

3) It is YOU who is too stupid to understand the difference between Growing Degree Days and Length of growing season, there has been no partisan statements from me at all. You make things up that isn't here at all.

That packet of Corn seeds will show a harvest time frame such as 100 days, but that is an average guess since that Corn variety can be harvested in 90 days or in 120 days, it all depends on having sufficient GROWING Degree days accumulation over the growth of the corn plant, it depends WHERE in the country you grow it in. Like the Corn belt in the Midwest where it has been TOO cold and rainy this year, which means insufficient growing degree accumulation has occurred, which greatly slowed down the plants maturity rate. The growing season is plenty long enough in the region, for corn to meet the stated 100-120 day maturity date of most Corn Varieties.

You have no visible critical thinking skills at all, that for an alleged Mensa candidate, I call you a bald faced liar.

===================

Corn has no frost tolerance, but being planted on the average first frost free day is normally a bad idea since it will be too cool for a few more weeks AFTER average last day of frost in the spring, for Corn to germinate and grow properly. The MINIMUM base 50 degree average is what Corn Farmers depend on to plant their seeds, I would plant in early May, three weeks after last average frost day, in my area.

You are too far behind on this stuff, suggest you go back to your sandbox.

Last edited:
As I keep explaining to Dishonest Billybob and the IDIOT BedWetTommy
(who both are Politically brainwashed, need Psychiatric help, and have 2-Digit IQs....

BillyBoob Daily now is using/ABUSING our Short Term Solar Minimum which does NOT disprove AGW to cause a PANICKED Exuberance among the Low IQ ConspiracYst Denier snowflakes.....

The FACT AGAIN is YOU UNBELIEVABLE MORONS:::

USDA.gov
https://www.climatehubs.usda.gov/growing-seasons-changing-climate

INCREASE in Frost Free Season Length Map

https://d32ogoqmya1dw8.cloudfront.n...s/observed_changes_frost-free_season._744.png
Average INCREASE is about TEN+ Days.

""''...The effects on seasons of a changing climate are already being seen across the country and vary region to region: temperatures have Risen Across Seasons, growing seasons have become Longer, precipitation patterns have changed, and extreme precipitation events have increased in frequency and severity. Because of the sensitivity of agriculture to weather and climate conditions, these impacts can have substantial direct and indirect effects production and profitability.

• Crops and livestock will be subjected to increasing temperatures, increasing CO2, and more variable water availability caused by changing precipitation patterns and access to irrigation. These factors effect plant growth and yield and environmental conditions for livestock production.
  • Changing seasonality of precipitation may result in excess water during off seasons and limited water during critical crop growth periods. This situation will require more water management in removing/retaining water throughout the year.
  • A lengthening growing season will also mean insects spawning multiple generations per season and producing more generations per year. In addition to adding more insects to the environment, this can lead to pests developing greater resistance to insecticides.[/b]
  • [.............]
`

Last edited:
EPA.gov
Climate Change Indicators: Length of Growing Season
Climate Change Indicators: Length of Growing Season | US EPA

This indicator measures the length of the growing season in the contiguous 48 states.

growing-season-figure1-2016.png

100% REFUTED by USDA and EPA..

`

You keep talking about LENGTH of Growing season, which I haven't once disputed, it is Growing Degree Days (Which is 100% unrelated to length of growing season) that you utterly fail to understand.

The fool keeps ignoring what Growing Degree Days is, tried to help this brain damaged person to understand it, so far he ignores it to talk about a measure of climate, while I am talking about a measure of Weather.

Here it is one last time:

Growing degree-days, or heat units, help growers and researchers track the development of plants and pests.

Growing degree-days (GGDs), while not perfect, are a more reliable method of predicting crop and insect development than calendar days. Differing threshold temperatures and beginning accumulation dates are used to determine accumulated heat units for different crops. For example, a cool-season crop like alfalfa uses a threshold temperature of 41 degrees Fahrenheit and a starting date of March 1, whereas a warm-season crop like corn uses a threshold temperature of 50 F and the planting date as the starting date.

The threshold, or base temperature, is the temperature under which no significant crop development is expected. That is, it is assumed alfalfa does not grow at temperatures less than 41 F and corn does not grow at temperatures less than 50 F. Also, an upper-end cutoff temperature is used in the calculation. Crops don’t grow any more at temperatures greater than 86 F than they do at temperatures less than 86 F. Keep that in mind later when we talk about calculating GDDs.

There are two methods for calculating GDD. The first method is simpler and the second method involves higher level mathematics, but is more accurate, especially at cooler temperatures."

bolding and large size words mine

41 and 50 F are well above freezing, but that understanding flew over your bald head."

=====================

From post one the Village idiot Abu moron, amazingly fails to understand the obvious, since this chart is NOT talking about a literal decrease of growing frost free days, it is talking about a reduction in growing degree days number, as shown inside the link for my own zip code."

"From 1/1/2018 to 9/1/2018, GDD 3316.5
From 1/1/2019 to 9/1/2019, GDD 3023
GDD has decreased in Kennewick, WA to 91.15% of previous value (-8.85% drop) in 99336"

Nothing to do with average length of frost free growing season, which remains the same.

Growing Degree Days is very different from Growing Frost Free Days.

accumulated growing degrees for that day.

The chart is showing the DROP of Growing Degree Days over a two year period. It is from 3316.5 to 3023.

"Growing degree days (GDD) are a measure of heat accumulation used by horticulturists, gardeners, and farmers to predict plant and animal development rates such as the date that a flower will bloom, an insect will emerge from dormancy, or a crop will reach maturity."

Billy_bob produced these numbers showing the approximate drop in total GDD for the map.

Nothing to do with Length of Growing Season.

============================

Here is an example of what Accumulated Growing Degree days looks like on a state map:

===========================

Over and over I told Abu the difference and he doesn't get it, that is how stupid he is:

Post 11: Growing Degree Days are NOT the same as length of growing season!
Post 26: again you make clear you don't understand the DIFFERENCE between GDD and Length of growing season.

Then at post 20: You are a terrible reader, since post one FOCUSES on GROWING DEGREE DAYS, you have not addressed this at all. You bring up temperature trends and long term harvest rates.

======

Since it is clear this fool continues to make a fool of himself, I have dug up this section in the link the warmist fool never read, since he is too busy arguing about something I haven't disputed at all here.

Here is the FORMULA on how to calculate GDD:

Degree-day accumulation = [(Maximum Temperature + Minimum Temperature) / 2] - Base Temperature
Let’s try a couple examples. First, assume a high of 83 F and a low of 61 F on a given day.
The threshold, or base temperature, is the temperature under which no significant crop development is expected. That is, it is assumed alfalfa does not grow at temperatures less than 41 F and corn does not grow at temperatures less than 50 F. Also, an upper-end cutoff temperature is used in the calculation. Crops don’t grow any more at temperatures greater than 86 F than they do at temperatures less than 86 F.

Here it is Abu, Corn Threshold is 50 with a High of 83 and a low of 61, what is the growing degree day number?

To make it really easy for you (Degree-day accumulation base 50 = [(83 + 61) / 2] - 50....) ___?___ accumulated growing degrees for that day.

Realize this is for a SINGLE day. You talk about an entire length of growing season, very different meaning.

Here is the helpful link for you.

Abu tell us what the answer is, it should be easy for you to answer mensa boy.

Last edited:
EPA.gov
Climate Change Indicators: Length of Growing Season
Climate Change Indicators: Length of Growing Season | US EPA

This indicator measures the length of the growing season in the contiguous 48 states.

growing-season-figure1-2016.png

100% REFUTED by USDA and EPA..

`

You keep talking about LENGTH of Growing season, which I haven't once disputed, it is Growing Degree Days (Which is 100% unrelated to length of growing season) that you utterly fail to understand.

The fool keeps ignoring what Growing Degree Days is, tried to help this brain damaged person to understand it, so far he ignores it to talk about a measure of climate, while I am talking about a measure of Weather.

Here it is one last time:

bolding and large size words mine

41 and 50 F are well above freezing, but that understanding flew over your bald head."

=====================

From post one the Village idiot Abu moron, amazingly fails to understand the obvious, since this chart is NOT talking about a literal decrease of growing frost free days, it is talking about a reduction in growing degree days number, as shown inside the link for my own zip code."

"From 1/1/2018 to 9/1/2018, GDD 3316.5
From 1/1/2019 to 9/1/2019, GDD 3023
GDD has decreased in Kennewick, WA to 91.15% of previous value (-8.85% drop) in 99336"

Nothing to do with average length of frost free growing season, which remains the same.

Growing Degree Days is very different from Growing Frost Free Days.

accumulated growing degrees for that day.

The chart is showing the DROP of Growing Degree Days over a two year period. It is from 3316.5 to 3023.

"Growing degree days (GDD) are a measure of heat accumulation used by horticulturists, gardeners, and farmers to predict plant and animal development rates such as the date that a flower will bloom, an insect will emerge from dormancy, or a crop will reach maturity."

Billy_bob produced these numbers showing the approximate drop in total GDD for the map.

Nothing to do with Length of Growing Season.

============================

Here is an example of what Accumulated Growing Degree days looks like on a state map:

===========================

Over and over I told Abu the difference and he doesn't get it, that is how stupid he is:

Post 11: Growing Degree Days are NOT the same as length of growing season!
Post 26: again you make clear you don't understand the DIFFERENCE between GDD and Length of growing season.

Then at post 20: You are a terrible reader, since post one FOCUSES on GROWING DEGREE DAYS, you have not addressed this at all. You bring up temperature trends and long term harvest rates.

======

Since it is clear this fool continues to make a fool of himself, I have dug up this section in the link the warmist fool never read, since he is too busy arguing about something I haven't disputed at all here.

Here is the FORMULA on how to calculate GDD:

Degree-day accumulation = [(Maximum Temperature + Minimum Temperature) / 2] - Base Temperature
Let’s try a couple examples. First, assume a high of 83 F and a low of 61 F on a given day.
The threshold, or base temperature, is the temperature under which no significant crop development is expected. That is, it is assumed alfalfa does not grow at temperatures less than 41 F and corn does not grow at temperatures less than 50 F. Also, an upper-end cutoff temperature is used in the calculation. Crops don’t grow any more at temperatures greater than 86 F than they do at temperatures less than 86 F.

Here it is Abu, Corn Threshold is 50 with a High of 83 and a low of 61, what is the growing degree day number?

To make it really easy for you (Degree-day accumulation base 50 = [(83 + 61) / 2] - 50....) ___?___ accumulated growing degrees for that day.

Realize this is for a SINGLE day. You talk about an entire length of growing season, very different meaning.

Here is the helpful link for you.

Abu tell us what the answer is, it should be easy for you to answer mensa boy.
I learned this in a basic agriculture class in the mid 70's... This was high school level stuff at the time and today idiots, graduating from college, dont have a clue..

I wouldn't panic just yet but the implications are very serious. Some of the US Bread Basket has lost almost two months of growing days in the last two years and if we extrapolate this out to the entire US it has some frightening results.
......We have dropped just 0.6 deg C, IF we lose another 1-2 deg C these numbers will increase rapidly. When we can not get even one season long enough for plants and food to mature, millions of people starve... Its not just the US that is being affected it is BOTH HEMISPHERES...

You were Deceptively inferring this (like 'arctic Minimum'....AND... 'EU Cold Winter expected'... threads) was proof against AGW.

I showed the growing season has not only lengthened, (avg 10+ Days in 30 years)...
but expanded North BY Global Warming in both the EU and USA.

Last edited:
......We have dropped just 0.6 deg C, IF we lose another 1-2 deg C these numbers will increase rapidly. When we can not get even one season long enough for plants and food to mature, millions of people starve... Its not just the US that is being affected it is BOTH HEMISPHERES...

You were Deceptively inferring this (like 'arctic Minimum'....AND... 'EU Cold Winter expected'... threads) was proof against AGW.

I showed the growing season has not only lengthened, (avg 10+ Days in 30 years)...
but expanded North BY Global Warming in both the EU and USA.
Incorrect;

You showed the frost free days lengthened, not the growth days. Its the Growth Days or temps above 50 Deg F for most foods humans eat that is important. That number has severely decreased the last two years.

You dont know the difference between the frost free season and the growth capable days within that season.

Forum List

Back