growing population of homeless children

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by strollingbones, Mar 10, 2009.

1. strollingbones

strollingbones Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +31,868
    do we simply let this go on..with the realization that these homeless kids will be the next generation of criminals, misfits and outcasts? how do you resolve broken homes where the woman has the children and cant cope with them? where one spouse has walked off, giving no financial support? is the nation being a penny wise and a pound foolish by not dealing with the homeless kids?

Report: 1 in 50 American children homeless - CNN.com

not a long article at all..

The report, by the National Center on Family Homelessness, analyzed data from 2005-06 and found that more than 1.5 million children were without a home.

"These numbers will grow as home foreclosures continue to rise," Ellen Bassuk, president of the center, said in a statement.

The study ranked states on their performance in four areas: the extent of child homelessness, the risk for it, child well-being and the state's policy and planning efforts.

The states that fared the poorest were Texas, Georgia, Arkansas, New Mexico and Louisiana.

Connecticut, New Hampshire, Hawaii, Rhode Island and North Dakota performed the best.

Homeless children have poor health, emotional problems and low graduation rates, the study found

2. Gunny

Gunny Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,770
    We already have the mechanisms n place to deal with this issue. It is about as adequate to cope as our immigrations laws and enforcement, and given about as much attention.

The children CHOOSE to take the route they do, and avoid law enforcement/child welfare. Not a lot that can be done about that in a supposedly free society.

3. strollingbones

strollingbones Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +31,868
    the focus of social services has shifted over the last few decades from the best interest of the child ..to the focus being on keeping families together.. foster care systems are overburdened on a good day...its time for this country to consider the concept of old fashioned orphanages

4. Gunny

Gunny Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,770
    Not sure there is a perfect answer. No matter what you do, an orphaned child is going to be affected by it. What is in the child's best interest is subjective. I agree with you though that it shouldn't be just one or the other.

We try to set these government agencies up with one-size-fits-all answers to every question and that, IMO is wrong. Individual necessity plays no part in decision-making. It's what does Rule 3 para 10 state is the correct, we won't be held liable solution.

5. Ravi

Ravi Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +29,752
    :confused:

6. editec

editec Mr. Forgot-it-All

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,617
    Families are in trouble...ergo children are in trouble.

This is not rocket science...it's much harder than mere rocketry to work out and keep on the right path.

It's social science.

7. Newby

Newby Does it get any better? Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,703
    Your version of the article is different than the version that I read. Mine stated that an estimated 1.5 million children experienced homelessness during that time period, not that there are that many homeless at one time or that they remained homeless, just that they had experienced it at one point during that time frame. To me that's a rather large distinction, so I question the validity of what it is they're trying to portray here.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,507589,00.html

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2009
  8. editec

editec Mr. Forgot-it-All

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,617
    Whole lotta kids here in Maine who are couch surfing.

9. auditor0007

auditor0007 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,218
    This is a problem. The question is what do we do about it? Throw a bunch of money at it? The main reason for this is so many women having children out of wedlock. The fathers disappear and never have any involvement in the child's life, and they many never support these kids. I don't have figures on it, but I'd be willing to bet that over 75% of these kids are being raised by single mothers and are not receiving child support from the fathers.

One thing that is definitely needed is better enforcement of child support laws from these MIA fathers. All too often, these people find any way possible to not take responsibility for their actions.

10. DavidS

DavidS Anti-Tea Party Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +767
    Let them get jobs. When I was a child, I worked for a living.