Growing popular anger as Hurricane Sandy death toll rises to 90

American_Jihad

Flaming Libs/Koranimals
May 1, 2012
Gulf of Mex 26.609, -82.220

By Kate Randall
2 November 2012

There is growing popular anger in New York, New Jersey and throughout the US Northeast, amidst widespread power outages and gasoline shortages in the wake of Hurricane Sandy. The US death toll rose Thursday to at least 90 people in the US and two in Canada. The storm earlier claimed at least 67 lives in the Caribbean.

Tens of millions of people in the Northeast confront traffic gridlock, long lines at gas stations, and public transit that is nonexistent or patchy at best. People are struggling to find a means to get to work, while others remain at home with no electricity, heat, refrigeration or elevator service. Some residents are still trapped in their homes, surrounded by fetid floodwaters.

---
“I think that we are not getting the attention because we are a working class neighborhood, and [they are saying] fend for yourselves,” one Staten Island resident told NBC News. Bodies continue to be found in the flood waters, including two young boys, aged 2 and 4, who were swept from their mother’s arms.

---
The slow pace of the recovery for those affected by the storm brings with it the danger of economic devastation for families and small businesses, as well as threats to health. The total economic damage from Sandy could run as high as $50 billion, according to new estimates from Eqecat, more than double earlier estimates from the forecasting firm.

---

Hmmm............ Billions of dollars in damage done. Massive infrastructure damage. Massive damage to the transportations sector. And you expect everything back to normal in a couple of days? It will not be back to normal in a couple of months.

Hmmm............ Billions of dollars in damage done. Massive infrastructure damage. Massive damage to the transportations sector. And you expect everything back to normal in a couple of days? It will not be back to normal in a couple of months.

Who;s you??? The article was written by Kate Randall

Hmmm...curious though. Was this your same response after Hurricane Katrina?

The death toll is now 110 and still rising.

But aid trucks are getting through. Five trucks arrived from Georgia today and 100 more from the midwest are coming in later. They carry food, blankets, sleeping bags, water, tools, and clothing.

Thank you President Elect Romney for the help you gave.

FEMA is absent. The Red Cross is a disgrace.

By Kate Randall
2 November 2012

There is growing popular anger in New York, New Jersey and throughout the US Northeast, amidst widespread power outages and gasoline shortages in the wake of Hurricane Sandy. The US death toll rose Thursday to at least 90 people in the US and two in Canada. The storm earlier claimed at least 67 lives in the Caribbean.

Tens of millions of people in the Northeast confront traffic gridlock, long lines at gas stations, and public transit that is nonexistent or patchy at best. People are struggling to find a means to get to work, while others remain at home with no electricity, heat, refrigeration or elevator service. Some residents are still trapped in their homes, surrounded by fetid floodwaters.

---
“I think that we are not getting the attention because we are a working class neighborhood, and [they are saying] fend for yourselves,” one Staten Island resident told NBC News. Bodies continue to be found in the flood waters, including two young boys, aged 2 and 4, who were swept from their mother’s arms.

---
The slow pace of the recovery for those affected by the storm brings with it the danger of economic devastation for families and small businesses, as well as threats to health. The total economic damage from Sandy could run as high as $50 billion, according to new estimates from Eqecat, more than double earlier estimates from the forecasting firm.

---

Thanks for an interesting read.

Yeah, folks are idiots. How could this possibly be repaired already. I went three days without power a few years back just because of a thunderstorm and my neighbor's misunderstanding of the relationship between trees and power lines.

Then they complained when the electric company came by the next year and tried to clear limbs from the power cuts lol. American idiots.

What has made New York so much better than New Orleans? After all we are not bussing ppl out of Yankee Stadium.

My bet is New York is not located under water while New Orleans is. Who was the idiot that allowed them to rebuild?

Correct.
However, based on what I have read and seen on NY local tv news, the frustration is not born of the shortages. It is the perception that certain areas are being taken care of before others.
For example, Staten Islanders believe they are being short changed.
One woman on the south shore said that FEMA reps visited the area and said nothing to officials as to any type of plan for relief. FEMA left soon after arriving.
The NJ Shore towns, decimated by the storm are seeing NO help at all.
People who live near major roads, hospitals, police and fire stations and other essential facilities are seeing their power come back earlier than outlying areas. Power companies have reminded residents that areas where multiple outages are present, that those would be fixed first.
Two edged sword.

Manhattan is getting help first. Because its Manhattan and home to Central Park West. That's why Bloomberg said that things would be going well and the marathon should go on. It will be much better in Manhattan.

Aside from some tours for the opportunity for pictures, FEMA has been absent. The Red Cross for all of it's money grabbing has provided no aid. The people are terrified. They are terrified because they are now facing a freezing Noreaster storm.

Hmmm...curious though. Was this your same response after Hurricane Katrina?

fuck no! the response to katrina was "Bush hates black people."

By Kate Randall
2 November 2012

---

---

---

Yeah, folks are idiots. How could this possibly be repaired already. I went three days without power a few years back just because of a thunderstorm and my neighbor's misunderstanding of the relationship between trees and power lines.

Then they complained when the electric company came by the next year and tried to clear limbs from the power cuts lol. American idiots.

What has made New York so much better than New Orleans? After all we are not bussing ppl out of Yankee Stadium.

My bet is New York is not located under water while New Orleans is. Who was the idiot that allowed them to rebuild?

actually manhatten and staten island are BELOW sea level.. I thinks.

By Kate Randall
2 November 2012

---

---

---

actually manhatten and staten island are BELOW sea level.. I thinks.

It's amazing what you can find when you google....

How many feet above or below sea level is Manhattan? | ChaCha

How many feet above or below sea level is Manhattan?

Much of New York City, Manhattan included, is only around 8-10 feet above sea level. Thanks for using ChaCha.

Ten feet? That is all? The deepest part of Nawlins is about twenty feet under.

Ok edit add: Nawlins does not have a subway system.

Last edited:
I watched Eric Cantor talk about help and compassion on Meet the Press.

Remember, this was the guy who want to defund disaster relief, privatize it and make people pay to be rescued. All of a sudden, he is "full" of compassion and help.

God, there Republicans. Will say anything at any time.

Forum List

Back