Groups to 'out' those who sign petition against same-sex unions

Yurt

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2004
Hot air ballon
Groups to 'out' those who sign petition against same-sex unions

group called WhoSigned.org says it will publicize the names of people signing petitions for Referendum 71, which seeks a public vote to overturn a new expansion of Washington's same-sex partnerships.

WhoSigned.org says it's partnering with the gay rights group KnowThyNeighbor.org to put the names online.

In a statement Monday, WhoSigned.org says it expects people who see the names online to contact the signers for what may be uncomfortable talks about gay rights.

Local News | Groups to 'out' those who sign petition against same-sex unions | Seattle Times Newspaper

disturbing

Scare tactics like that are more likely to hurt their cause then help it. Publishing a person's name online and calling to lecture them is more likely to make them dig in, if only out of sheer stubbornness and anger, than to get them to change their minds.

You mean you can get on a no-call list for telemarketers and robo calls, and those companies can be fined, but you're fair game for harassing phone calls about your right to petition government?

You mean you can get on a no-call list for telemarketers and robo calls, and those companies can be fined, but you're fair game for harassing phone calls about your right to petition government?

Forgetting the "outing" of people who were gay? Did they not have any right to avoid being harassed as well?

exactly, this smacks of voter intimidation, i am surprised this is not illegal

Forgetting the "outing" of people who were gay? Did they not have any right to avoid being harassed as well?

Nobody makes unwanted phone calls to them to have "uncomfortable" conversations.

Or is this yet another thread where you predictably dismiss an opinion other than you own based on "media rumors?"

The New Black Panthers stood at the doors of polling places with billy clubs and they got away with it.

Not unless outing gays is made illegal to.

what the fackle are you talking about? this is not even the same thing...please tell me you're kidding

how anyone can even remotely compare so called outing gays to this is beyond me....

In a statement Monday, WhoSigned.org says it expects people who see the names online to contact the signers for what may be uncomfortable talks about gay rights.

Gays out each other. All the time.

Meh, but straight people do it for political agendas ... your point. Until one is illegal the other stands as legal.

If I looked you up in the phone book and called you and challenged your views on anything with "an uncomfortable conversation," and did not back off, you could bring me up on charges.

Why do homosexuals get a pass on that?

Gays out each other. All the time.

Meh, but straight people do it for political agendas ... your point. Until one is illegal the other stands as legal.

calling someone and intimidating them to get them to CHANGE their VOTE is not the same thing....you're comparing apples/oranges....next you'll tell us that if we should outlaw making affairs public knowledge...sheesh how you came to analogize the two is simply dumbfounding

Forum List

Back