Groups Decry Muslim Scholar's Visa Denial

There are academic freedoms? I must have missed that clause in the constition. is that above or below the clause that says Sodomy is constitutional?

Well there are terrorist in academia also, just look at Berkeley.

Seriously......
I'd rather hear voices of protest than voices of condemnation
cuz a real threat was allowed to enter the Country, to later
take part somehow in some attack that cost lives of U.S. citizens.

NATO AIR said:
what's going on with this? how is he a threat (or how isn't he a threat?)

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20040917/ap_on_re_us/muslim_scholar_visa

There are reasons:

http://www.danielpipes.org/article/2043

It's not every day that the U.S. Department of Homeland Security revokes a visa issued to a Swiss-national scholar scheduled to teach at one of America's premier universities. But this has just happened, and it's a good thing too.

The Swiss scholar is Tariq Ramadan. He is Islamist royalty – his maternal grandfather, Hasan al-Banna, founded the Muslim Brotherhood, probably the single most powerful Islamist institution of the twentieth century, in Egypt in 1928. Tariq is a Swiss citizen because his father, Sa‘id Ramadan, also a leading Islamist, fled from Egypt in 1954 following a crackdown on the brotherhood. Sa‘id reached Geneva in 1958, where Tariq was born in 1962.

Thanks to his pedigree and his talents, Tariq has emerged as a significant force in his own right. Symbolic of this, Time magazine in April named him one of the world's top hundred scientists and thinkers. And so, when Notre Dame University went looking for a Henry R. Luce professor of religion, conflict and peacebuilding, it unsurprisingly settled on Mr. Ramadan.

Its offer was made and accepted by the beginning of 2004; a work visa followed in February. Mr. Ramadan bought a house, found schools for his four children, and dispatched his personal effects to South Bend, Indiana. He was supposed to start teaching a few days ago.

But on July 28, just nine days before the Ramadans were to leave for America, Mr. Ramadan was informed that the Department of Homeland Security had revoked his work visa. A DHS spokesman, Russ Knocke, later explained this had been done in accord with a law that denies entry to aliens who have used a "position of prominence within any country to endorse or espouse terrorist activity." The revocation, Mr. Knocke added, was based on "public safety or national security interests."

Of course, Mr. Ramadan dismisses the revocation as "unjustified" and due to "political pressure." He even blames me for the DHS decision.

What's up? The DHS knows much more than I do, but it is not talking. A review of the press, however, gives an idea of what the problem is. Here are some reasons why Mr. Ramadan might have been kept out:

He has praised the brutal Islamist policies of the Sudanese politician Hassan Al-Turabi. Mr. Turabi in turn called Mr. Ramadan the "future of Islam."
Mr. Ramadan was banned from entering France in 1996 on suspicion of having links with an Algerian Islamist who had recently initiated a terrorist campaign in Paris.
Ahmed Brahim, an Algerian indicted for Al-Qaeda activities, had "routine contacts" with Mr. Ramadan, according to a Spanish judge (Baltasar Garzón) in 1999.
Djamel Beghal, leader of a group accused of planning to attack the American embassy in Paris, stated in his 2001 trial that he had studied with Mr. Ramadan.
Along with nearly all Islamists, Mr. Ramadan has denied that there is "any certain proof" that Bin Laden was behind 9/11.
He publicly refers to the Islamist atrocities of 9/11, Bali, and Madrid as "interventions," minimizing them to the point of near-endorsement.
And here are other reasons, dug up by Jean-Charles Brisard, a former French intelligence officer doing work for some of the 9/11 families, as reported in Le Parisien:

Intelligence agencies suspect that Mr. Ramadan (along with his brother Hani) coordinated a meeting at the Hôtel Penta in Geneva for Ayman al-Zawahiri, deputy head of Al-Qaeda, and Omar Abdel Rahman, the blind sheikh, now in a Minnesota prison.
Mr. Ramadan's address appears in a register of Al Taqwa Bank, an organization the State Department accuses of supporting Islamist terrorism.
Then there is the intriguing possibility, reported by Olivier Guitta, that Osama bin Laden studied with Tariq's father in Geneva, suggesting that the future terrorist and the future scholar might have known each other.

Ramadan denies all ties to terrorism, but the pattern is clear. As Lee Smith writes in The American Prospect, he is a cold-blooded Islamist whose "cry of death to the West is a quieter and gentler jihad, but it's still jihad."

These reasons explain why Americans should thank DHS for keeping Tariq Ramadan out of America.

But the story is not over: the State Department has in effect encouraged Ramadan to reapply for a different type of visa, making the recent developments probably just round one of a drawn-out match.

ivory tower thinkers unite! (State department officials and university professors)

thanks for the info, i don't want this bastard in the country anyway. anybody that thinks the 9/11 attacks were an "intervention" deserves a swift kick in the ass.

NATO AIR said:
ivory tower thinkers unite! (State department officials and university professors)

thanks for the info, i don't want this bastard in the country anyway. anybody that thinks the 9/11 attacks were an "intervention" deserves a swift kick in the ass.

You're welcome.

He's a threat to the Jews who run our nation and don't want their use and enjoyment of it disturbed. Therefore, there is no limit to what can happen to him. All the idiot conservatives will read "Daniel Pipes", thinking he's some kind of scholar himself, when in reality, he's just a Jew stumping for the cause.

Thankfully, not all conservatives are idiots:

http://vdare.com/francis/spy_case.htm

Of course, I'd deny the Muslim his visa, too, because twisted foreign policy aside, he probably does mean harm --- or cheers those who do. But I of course oppose him for different reasons.

William Joyce says: KEEP ALL THE SEMITES OUT OF THE USA!

Forum List

Back