Group Will Sue McDonald's Over Happy Meal Toys

Do you think it is McDonald's right to be able market directly to children who cannot make an informed decision on their own - which tells them to badger their parents for McDonalds food? Why do you think this is okay? McDonalds is unhealthy, period. We don't allow for cigarette and alcohol ads to be directed at children. The obesity epidemic among youngsters is just as harmful. Do you think it's okay for McDonalds to set up shop in middle and high schools where parents have no control?

Do you think it is McDonald's right to be able market directly to children who cannot make an informed decision on their own - which tells them to badger their parents for McDonalds food? Why do you think this is okay? McDonalds is unhealthy, period. We don't allow for cigarette and alcohol ads to be directed at children. The obesity epidemic among youngsters is just as harmful. Do you think it's okay for McDonalds to set up shop in middle and high schools where parents have no control?

Oh, here we go............. hey Mattell markets directly to my kids to. But you know what? Ultimately I have the power to say no.

and come on you're really going to compare McDonalds to booze and tobacco? That is some weak shit dude.

There is NOTHING wrong with children enjoying a trip to McDonalds on occasion. It in noway harms them the way an occasional cigarette or beer would.

Let's ban ALL marketing towards children, that way parents don't have to be parents and say no once in awhile. Pathetic.

Actually, I think we should ban ALL marketing to children. We are teaching them to be dimwitted, materialistic consumers, which is a major part of what is wrong in this country... just what corporations and their marketing departments what us to be...docile sheep that will buy anything. Children don't generally have any money to spend (they are NOT consumers), so why should they be targeted anyway? Why not just market to the parents?

And our first defender arrives..
Yes, McDonalds can directly market to children, that's what parents are for. If my son asks me for something and I tell him no that is the end of it. What is so hard about telling your child no? Middle school and high school? Once again, if you act like a parent then you will have control there as well. I am not for setting up shop in schools but that actually has nothing to do with the nutritional value, more to do with the fact that schools are governmental entities that exist for education not corporatism. That is of course if it is not a private school, then they can do whatever they want to feed the children. I have a firm belief that you cannot teach people, particularly children, by taking choice away. Whatever you are attempting to save them from will still occur. You teach by leaving the choice there and giving them the tools to make the right decision. The government has already done their jobs, nutritional information is required and available. The rest is up to you to make the choices. If your children are fate it has NOTHING to do with McDonalds,
YOU AS THE PARENT ARE WHAT IS WRONG.

Now, get the hell away from my freedom!

And our first defender arrives..
Yes, McDonalds can directly market to children, that's what parents are for. If my son asks me for something and I tell him no that is the end of it. What is so hard about telling your child no? Middle school and high school? Once again, if you act like a parent then you will have control there as well. I am not for setting up shop in schools but that actually has nothing to do with the nutritional value, more to do with the fact that schools are governmental entities that exist for education not corporatism. That is of course if it is not a private school, then they can do whatever they want to feed the children. I have a firm belief that you cannot teach people, particularly children, by taking choice away. Whatever you are attempting to save them from will still occur. You teach by leaving the choice there and giving them the tools to make the right decision. The government has already done their jobs, nutritional information is required and available. The rest is up to you to make the choices. If your children are fate it has NOTHING to do with McDonalds,
YOU AS THE PARENT ARE WHAT IS WRONG.

I believe in that philosphy as well. How can a child POSSIBLY grow up as an adult who makes correct choices if you don't teach them as children? McDonalds is a learning experience at my house. You learn that A) We're not going to eat there very often B) You don't get your way by whining C) There food is neither cheap, nor tasty, nor healthy. D) Just because you see something on TV doesn't mean you HAVE to have it.

Those are important lessons.

it boils down to parents. My daughter at 2 knows exactly what her brother before her knows. Crying and screaming over wanting something definitely won't get you your way, and possibly will get your ass busted. So lesson learned, she doesn't do that, and consequently the TV commercials don't force her into McDonalds to get fat.

Actually, I think we should ban ALL marketing to children. We are teaching them to be dimwitted, materialistic consumers, which is a major part of what is wrong in this country... just what corporations and their marketing departments what us to be...docile sheep that will buy anything. Children don't generally have any money to spend (they are NOT consumers), so why should they be targeted anyway? Why not just market to the parents?

It is ASTOUNDING how thick that statement is. IT IS THE PARENTS TEACHING THESE KIDS TO BE THAT WAY. Do you really think that people are sheep and cannot make rational choices? You have no faith in your fellow man AT ALL! Where are the parents in your grand scheme of things, why are they not teaching the children as they should?

They way you people want it, the only ones you truly want to endow with freedom, will be the corporations. That will be a GREAT world to live in, you betcha!

Are you retarded? Incapable of saying "NO?" I mean seriously how difficult a concept is this?

"No Johnny I don't care what toy they have, we ate McDonalds last week, and that is often enough, now drop it or we won't EVER eat there again"

Hell fire man, do you just say yes to ANYTHING your child wants?

It is ASTOUNDING how thick that statement is. IT IS THE PARENTS TEACHING THESE KIDS TO BE THAT WAY. Do you really think that people are sheep and cannot make rational choices? You have no faith in your fellow man AT ALL! Where are the parents in your grand scheme of things, why are they not teaching the children as they should?

Okay, i totally and completely agree with Peeper's statement that people are stupid, but apparently he doesn't understand that in the USA you have the right to be stupid. You have the right to let your child go eat McDs everyday and get as big as a blimp, if you're that dumb. Well, unless your on government assistance of any sort, and then I DO believe the government has a right to tell you what to do, but as you say , leave ME alone.

They way you people want it, the only ones you truly want to endow with freedom, will be the corporations. That will be a GREAT world to live in, you betcha!

Sure, ignore the post so that you can make the idiot one liner at the end. Newsflash, I want the CHOICE to go to McDonalds and buy the damn toy if I want and have no problem with McDonalds telling my child they have it. I want freedom for all and that requires corporation to be able to market and sell as they will within the law. YOU do not want freedom at all because that is the ONLY way you can protect people from themselves. The outcome of that is more terrible than you can imagine.

No, I just don't think it's right to market to a population that cannot determine reality from fantasy nor healthy vs. toxic. Children are sponges. They soak up everything they see and hear. Yes, I am absolutely ALL FOR limiting power of corporations over the public. Absolutely. They have too much power as it is. Why, to you, do the corporations have a say (free speech), but these people, who I am assuming are parents who are worried about the health of their children, do not? Oh, I forgot. You're a corporatist.

No, I just don't think it's right to market to a population that cannot determine reality from fantasy nor healthy vs. toxic. Children are sponges. They soak up everything they see and hear. Yes, I am absolutely ALL FOR limiting power of corporations over the public. Absolutely. They have too much power as it is. Why, to you, do the corporations have a say (free speech), but these people, who I am assuming are parents who are worried about the health of their children, do not? Oh, I forgot. You're a corporatist.

Here's a novel idea. How about the parents actually take some responsibility, act like parents, and tell their kids, no, you can't have this. I mean, God, we wouldn't want that would we. Parents actually being responsible for their children? What an outlandish concept.

My post is not about parents' responsibilities but the practice of marketing to children. I think it should stop. Why do you say it is okay?

Forum List

Back