Group raises more than $70G for Texas honor student jailed for truancy

WillowTree

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2008
A Louisiana group has raised more than $70,000 for a 17-year-old Texas honor student jailed for missing too much school because she worked two jobs to support her siblings.
Diane Tran, an 11th-grade honor student at Willis High School near Houston, was sent to jail for 24 hours last week by Judge Lanny Moriarty and ordered to pay a $100 fine for excessive truancy.
It's unclear how many days Tran missed, but state law reportedly permits only 10 absences in a six-month period.
Tran, who works full-time at a dry-cleaning business and part-time for a wedding planner, has been supporting her brother and sister since her parents separated and her mother moved away.
Houston Councilman Al Hoang and others have roundly criticized the judge, saying he should have used some discretion in the honor student's case.

Read more: Group raises more than $70G for Texas honor student jailed for truancy | Fox News

Yay for the generous people of America.. Barf on the stupid judge.

A Louisiana group has raised more than $70,000 for a 17-year-old Texas honor student jailed for missing too much school because she worked two jobs to support her siblings.
Diane Tran, an 11th-grade honor student at Willis High School near Houston, was sent to jail for 24 hours last week by Judge Lanny Moriarty and ordered to pay a $100 fine for excessive truancy.
It's unclear how many days Tran missed, but state law reportedly permits only 10 absences in a six-month period.
Tran, who works full-time at a dry-cleaning business and part-time for a wedding planner, has been supporting her brother and sister since her parents separated and her mother moved away.
Houston Councilman Al Hoang and others have roundly criticized the judge, saying he should have used some discretion in the honor student's case.

Read more: Group raises more than $70G for Texas honor student jailed for truancy | Fox News

Pardon my french, but this Judge is a freaking prick with no heart or soul.

I couldn't believe it when I read the original story that this asswipe couldn't take into consideration her reasons for missing any school days.

I'm thrilled that so many generous souls have donated to help out this brave young lady.

Thanks for the update. It's nice to hear happy endings these days.:eusa_angel:

They have to make her realize that the GOVERNMENT is in charge of taking care of her siblings, not her family!

You know, the Gulf Coast people still seem to hold a grudge against the Vietnamese for being better shrimpers than they are.

Put your head back up your ass. You look better that way.

Pardon my french, but this Judge is a freaking prick with no heart or soul.

I couldn't believe it when I read the original story that this asswipe couldn't take into consideration her reasons for missing any school days.

I'm thrilled that so many generous souls have donated to help out this brave young lady.

Thanks for the update. It's nice to hear happy endings these days.:eusa_angel:

Correct, the asshole should track down this girl's mother and put her ass in jail for abandoning her children.

Is $70 000 enough to buy the services of a good lawyer in Texas - or to influence the decision of a "stupid judge" to change his verdict?

They have to make her realize that the GOVERNMENT is in charge of taking care of her siblings, not her family!

Seems the message is that she should have stayed home
and watched TV all day and applied for welfare or some kind of government
aid...Liberals hate when people go out and work two jobs
and study and try to make a better life for themselves.
The Liberal message is give up lay down and quit and let government
make you an addict for government intervention.

Good for the people who raised the money to help her out. :clap2:

In what part of this story was there a "liberal" involved?

I'm a liberal, and I think the judge sucks for what he did.

I think everyone can really agree, except apparently the judge, who is apparently a world class prick on a power-trip.

Last edited:
Don't you just love it when the people who LOVE being hardasses decide that being reasonable is the best course of action?

That asshole judge did what he thought the people who elected him wanted him to do. He got where he is by being a dickhead. Why would he change now?

In what part of this story was there a "liberal" involved?

I'm a liberal, and I think the judge sucks for what he did.

I think everyone can really agree, except apparently the judge, who is apparently a world class prick on a power-trip.

And........lets not forget..........he's a Republican.

It's $70K, not $70G.

And, yes. I agree with the OP. They have no right doing that when she had to do what was nessecary to take care of her siblings.

Forum List

Back