Group Launches Campaign to Raise Awareness About Soaring National Debt

Charter Member
May 8, 2004
Podunk, WI
Group Launches Campaign to Raise Awareness About Soaring National Debt

The Employment Policies Institute has launched a costly, multimedia campaign to educate the public about the consequences of America's $11 trillion debt, and urge the country to reverse course.

A nonprofit advocacy group has launched a multimillion-dollar campaign to raise awareness about America's soaring federal debt.

The multimedia campaign is trying to hammer its message on all fronts. It includes a Web site -- Defeatthedebt.com, which features a rolling odometer showing the red ink at over $11 trillion -- and a startling new TV ad. The ad shows school children pledging allegiance to the national debt.

"And to the Chinese government that lends us money, and to the interest, for which we pay, compoundable, with higher taxes and lower pay until the day we die," the school children in the ad say.

Organizers say it's a critical educational campaign to inform the public of the real-world consequences of owing so much on the national credit card.

Group Launches Campaign to Raise Awareness About Soaring National Debt - Political News - FOXNews.com

A nonprofit advocacy group has launched a multimillion-dollar campaign

ironical.

Are you assuming that they are using tax dollars? Looks to me like a group who is interested in lowering other people's taxes by spending some of their own money to help explain it to us.

Nope. It's a lobbyist front group.
DefeatTheDebt.com is part of Employment Policies Institute, which is a front group for Berman & Co, a registered DC lobbyist firm. They're not using tax dollars, that's true. They're using corporate dollars, to get what the corporations want.

Links
http://defeatthedebt.com/about-us/
http://www.sourcewatch.org/index.php?title=Employment_Policies_Institute_Foundation

Last edited:
ironical.

Are you assuming that they are using tax dollars? Looks to me like a group who is interested in lowering other people's taxes by spending some of their own money to help explain it to us.

DefeatTheDebt.com is part of Employment Policies Institute, which is a front group for Berman & Co, a registered DC lobbyist firm. They're not using tax dollars, that's true. They're using corporate dollars, to get what the corporations want.

Links
About Us - Defeat the Debt
Employment Policies Institute - SourceWatch

Meh, as long as it's not my money they are using. Whether I believe in their message or not, I will find out when I understand it, but since they are not using tax dollars, that is freedom of speech.

Links

Meh, as long as it's not my money they are using. Whether I believe in their message or not, I will find out when I understand it, but since they are not using tax dollars, that is freedom of speech.
Of course it is. They're not doing anything "wrong" or illegal. They're just not exactly who they try to come across as.

A nonprofit advocacy group has launched a multimillion-dollar campaign

ironical.

I didn't assume anything of the sort. Spending money to persuade someone else not to spend money is ironic.

Links

Of course it is. They're not doing anything "wrong" or illegal. They're just not exactly who they try to come across as.

Neither are those advertising on Obama's side. ;)

Links

How many actually do?

Corporations wanting to reduce the national debt is a good thing.

Sure it is. But corporations using lowering the debt as a smokescreen is not. I don't know (and never will, the whole thing is set up so you don't really know where the money is coming from), but I certainly wouldn't be suprised to find that all the money funding this campaign is coming from health insurance companies, or some other industry with a vested interest in stopping some of Obama's plans. Companies don't do things like this out of the goodness of their hearts - if its not in the best financial interests of the stockholders, then companies don't do it.

My largest issue as far as the government goes is the national debt.

I balance my personal budget and live debt free and I DEMAND my governmnet do the same.

If enough of us demand that the government does this with our votes they will have to listen. Dont be fooled by those who oppose this position that your vote and voice doesn't matter and that the debt can't be erased.

Clinton and the republican congress of the 90's proved you can eliminate the defecit spending, thus the debt itself.

• Thanks
Reactions: 007

Sure it is. But corporations using lowering the debt as a smokescreen is not. I don't know (and never will, the whole thing is set up so you don't really know where the money is coming from), but I certainly wouldn't be suprised to find that all the money funding this campaign is coming from health insurance companies, or some other industry with a vested interest in stopping some of Obama's plans. Companies don't do things like this out of the goodness of their hearts - if its not in the best financial interests of the stockholders, then companies don't do it.
It is still irrelivent, corporations are not nazis to be opposed in all things.

The business of business is to make money, there is no crime in that, and it helps all of us.

This cripling debt will ruin us for years to come.

The business of business is to make money, there is no crime in that, and it helps all of us.

I think you might be missing my point, if so I apologize for not being clear - I'm not blaming corporations for making money. I'm not blaming anyone for anything. I'm not opposing anything here either. I'm just saying, its never black and white, and its always a good idea to keep an eye on where the money's coming from.

I think you might be missing my point, if so I apologize for not being clear - I'm not blaming corporations for making money. I'm not blaming anyone for anything. I'm not opposing anything here either. I'm just saying, its never black and white, and its always a good idea to keep an eye on where the money's coming from.

Hence my original reply to you. :clap2::clap2:

Basically, this is how it should be looked at:

Spending Tax Dollars = Wrong

Spending Profits = Good

As long as they are not spending my money on something, let them have at it. Whether their message is truth or not, do your own research. If you don't research the actual data and care more about who is spending their own money on it, then you clearly are just a partisan hack.

Spending Profits = Good

As long as they are not spending my money on something, let them have at it. Whether their message is truth or not, do your own research. If you don't research the actual data and care more about who is spending their own money on it, then you clearly are just a partisan hack.

But they are spending your money. It's a "Privatize the Profits, Socialize the Losses" corporate shell game.

Spending Profits = Good

But they are spending your money. It's a "Privatize the Profits, Socialize the Losses" corporate shell game.

Wow ... the blind hatred of corporations is very clear in you. I choose what products to buy, therefore I willingly give them my money, once it leaves my hand in such a transaction, it's no longer my money. Taxes are by force, with the promise that our interests will be covered with them, that's a huge difference.

I agree with the OP. The national debt is out of control. We need to immediately raise taxes on those people who created this debt. Yes the wealthy 1% of taxpayers who drove this country into recession. I recommend a temperary 20% tax increase on those above the 99th percentile only until our debt is paid off.
The wealthy have profited the most off our debt. Let them pay it back

Forum List

Back