Groundskeeper awarded $289 MILLION because Roundup allegedly caused his cancer.

MarathonMike

Diamond Member
Dec 30, 2014
The Southwestern Desert
These insane awards have got to be limited. I empathize with anyone getting terminal cancer but how in the world to you come up with a figure that is astronomical relative to this man's lifetime earning power and net worth? It is estimated that there are an additional 5000 Roundup/Cancer cases pending. Do they all get $289 million each? Why wouldn't they if this precedent is now set?

This is how lawyers and the legal system are damaging the country. We need real tort reform, the legal system should not operate like a state lottery.
Bayer stock plunges after jury awards man $289 million in Roundup cancer trial

LoL that might work Emily except that I would have to prove that Liberalism caused some sort of problem within me. If I tried lying about it on the stand I would start laughing and the judge would throw out the case.

Glypho has been used by millions of people over the last 40 years, and a tiny few of the hundreds of studies have shown, at best, a tenuous correlation with cancer.
But, like the anti-vax scam, the 'glypho will kill you' meme has grown to the point where a jury will likely have a few idiots who can swing the verdict.
Let's wait for the appeals.

These insane awards have got to be limited. I empathize with anyone getting terminal cancer but how in the world to you come up with a figure that is astronomical relative to this man's lifetime earning power and net worth? It is estimated that there are an additional 5000 Roundup/Cancer cases pending. Do they all get $289 million each? Why wouldn't they if this precedent is now set?

This is how lawyers and the legal system are damaging the country. We need real tort reform, the legal system should not operate like a state lottery.

This was simply a case of a sympathetic jury, it will be overturned on appeals.

The crux of the case wasn't even that Roundup's main ingredient is a carcinogen, it's that the main ingredient reacts with other ingredients to become a carcinogen.

There is scant evidence of the first, and even less of the second, expect this to get overturned on appeal.

The crux of the case wasn't even that Roundup's main ingredient is a carcinogen, it's that the main ingredient reacts with other ingredients to become a carcinogen.

There is scant evidence of the first, and even less of the second, expect this to get overturned on appeal.
I think the decision will stick, but the amount will almost certainly be greatly reduced.

Of course, for the first 25 years, Monsanto made the stuff, and when the patents expired, the Chinese got on to it, and their quality controls are zilch, so all sorts of shit comes in the bottle. Sort of like buying your drugs on the street.

I think the decision will stick, but the amount will almost certainly be greatly reduced.

I doubt it, the link they claimed is even more dubious and unsupported than just saying glycophosphate causes cancer by itself

This was an emotional decision, nothing more.

Forum List

Back