Grounded.

trobinett

Oct 25, 2004
Arkansas, The Ozarks
Awesome is the only word that comes to mind. I just finished watching a "special" on the grounding of all air traffic on 911. Kudos to those air traffic controllers, talk about flying by the seat of your pants.

They had over 4000 planes, on the ground, in less than 3 hours, amazing.

The FAA met afterwards to formulate a plan with written guidelines, if something like this were to take place again, and they finally arrived at the conclusion, there is no way to write down any guidelines.

A lot of hero's on that day, that were back to work like nothing happened the next day.

Of course, there were 3000, that weren't back to work the next day, of course THAT is another story.:(

Awesome is the only word that comes to mind. I just finished watching a "special" on the grounding of all air traffic on 911. Kudos to those air traffic controllers, talk about flying by the seat of your pants.

They had over 4000 planes, on the ground, in less than 3 hours, amazing.

The FAA met afterwards to formulate a plan with written guidelines, if something like this were to take place again, and they finally arrived at the conclusion, there is no way to write down any guidelines.

A lot of hero's on that day, that were back to work like nothing happened the next day.

Of course, there were 3000, that weren't back to work the next day, of course THAT is another story.:(
From everything I've read, the air traffic controllers deserve medals for their reactions on that horrendous day.

This may be off on a tangent, but... Here's a Vanity Fair article that I think you guys would find interesting about the military's response to 9/11:

http://www.vanityfair.com/politics/features/2006/08/norad200608

There are transcipts (you can listen to the actual recordings as well) from NORAD's Northeast headquarters.

I thought it was a great read.

Read ALL eleven pages, man, talk about intense, thanks for the heads up snowman.

Read ALL eleven pages, man, talk about intense, thanks for the heads up snowman.

I read that this morning, fascinating. The military didn't even know about Flight 93, until 1/2 hour after it was brought down. One would think that would stop the questions about that, but nah!

I have 3 brothers who are Captains with a major airline, one was flying at the time. He had to put it down in Kansas City. I was in Ireland worried about them since nothing was known about the airlines that were being hijacked. The aircraft being used were all larger than they fly, they all fly 737s, but there was still a great deal of uncertainty that day.

There has been a great deal of Monday morning quarterbacking done since September 11, 2001 but knowing the airlines and the traveling public, there is absolutely nothing that could have been done to prevent what happened whether the authorities knew the date it was going to happen or not.

If you want to see a good funny movie about air traffic controllers there are 2 that I know of ....."Pushing Tin" and "Modern Problems". Pushing Tin is much more involved in the air traffic control world and has some incredibly good scenes in it.

I have 3 brothers who are Captains with a major airline, one was flying at the time. He had to put it down in Kansas City. I was in Ireland worried about them since nothing was known about the airlines that were being hijacked. The aircraft being used were all larger than they fly, they all fly 737s, but there was still a great deal of uncertainty that day.

There has been a great deal of Monday morning quarterbacking done since September 11, 2001 but knowing the airlines and the traveling public, there is absolutely nothing that could have been done to prevent what happened whether the authorities knew the date it was going to happen or not.

If you want to see a good funny movie about air traffic controllers there are 2 that I know of ....."Pushing Tin" and "Modern Problems". Pushing Tin is much more involved in the air traffic control world and has some incredibly good scenes in it.

Thanks sitarro, I'll be renting "Pushing Tin", on YOUR recommendation.

Forum List

Back