Grocery store

I want to say, once again, I feel for the elderly, the handicapped, and those who truely can't work or find a job.

Unfortunately, there are is a sizable portion, that just want to live off the system, because it's easier than working.

People keep saying that, but I'd like to see the numbers.

There aren't any.

I work with the population. There's more going on than laziness. Believe me, it's easier to work than it is to live off welfare.

My information is going to be anecdotal. I guess it would be hard to get stats for this.

I have a business doing door to door sales. I have run into a lot of "poor people".

I head stories of people whom got laid off, can't get a job for over 3 years, blah blah blah. They are getting welfare and food stamps.

I have offered a job to them doing exactly what I was doing, and almost always they turn me down or don't follow through. They don't even try it. Very few have said yes.

In fact, I now have a moral dilemma. I have salespeople that I pay about $2,000/week.

One guy has ability but is just lazy. He lives with his fiancee, and they just had a baby. Of course, they won't get married, because that would take away from government money for the woman. The woman works for me too or hardly works.

The guy just asked me for copies of his checks for food stamps.

Now, I know this guy that when he works he does great, and makes lots of sales. The problem is that he works very little.

I already told him I would get the copies of the checks to him, but I feel that I am helping him cheat the system too.

How are you helping him cheat the system if he's reporting his income????

This is what I'm talking about. People don't understand how the system works, and as I said, a huge percentage (if not the majority) of foodstamp recipients work.

We require proof of income to determine how much folks get in FS. If he asked you for his paystubs, he's reporting his income, and his fs will be adjusted accordingly. He's obviously not cheating the system.

And if he's reporting his income for fs, then the state also knows he's living with his girlfriend, and as such, it doesn't make any difference if they're married or not.

Except...you can't get unemployment if they fired you for a justifiable cause.

Actually you have to do something really bad to not get unemployment.

Oh my god. That is absolutely NOT TRUE.

I work with these programs all the time. I have access to the unemployment screens, I work daily with them.

If you are fired for substandard work, if you are fired for not going to work, if you are fired for not doing your job, you DON'T get unemployment.

Now once you get unemployment, there are all sorts of extensions now, that's a new thing....

But you don't get unemployment if you are fired for not doing or not showing up for your job.

Trust me on this one. I deny people cash benefits and certain medical programs all the time because they don't qualify for UC.

I took all the applications and did the qualifications for the Free/Reduced lunches.

Let me tell you that the system goes on an honor bases. If someone writes down on their application they have 10 kids and I know they have only 2, there isn't a damn thing I could do about it. I had to go by what they wrote down.

They say you could be audited but never once in the 4 years did I ever witness a case. I even called them and told them that I felt many are lying on the application and can prove it on a few. They told me, process it by what is on the application.

I'm just saying that in today society the majority look for the loophole or lie. Where is the integrity in people...its gone!

You don't know what the standards are, so how do you know they don't qualify???

People keep saying that, but I'd like to see the numbers.

There aren't any.

I work with the population. There's more going on than laziness. Believe me, it's easier to work than it is to live off welfare.

My information is going to be anecdotal. I guess it would be hard to get stats for this.

I have a business doing door to door sales. I have run into a lot of "poor people".

I head stories of people whom got laid off, can't get a job for over 3 years, blah blah blah. They are getting welfare and food stamps.

I have offered a job to them doing exactly what I was doing, and almost always they turn me down or don't follow through. They don't even try it. Very few have said yes.

In fact, I now have a moral dilemma. I have salespeople that I pay about $2,000/week.

One guy has ability but is just lazy. He lives with his fiancee, and they just had a baby. Of course, they won't get married, because that would take away from government money for the woman. The woman works for me too or hardly works.

The guy just asked me for copies of his checks for food stamps.

Now, I know this guy that when he works he does great, and makes lots of sales. The problem is that he works very little.

I already told him I would get the copies of the checks to him, but I feel that I am helping him cheat the system too.

How are you helping him cheat the system if he's reporting his income????

This is what I'm talking about. People don't understand how the system works, and as I said, a huge percentage (if not the majority) of foodstamp recipients work.

We require proof of income to determine how much folks get in FS. If he asked you for his paystubs, he's reporting his income, and his fs will be adjusted accordingly. He's obviously not cheating the system.

And if he's reporting his income for fs, then the state also knows he's living with his girlfriend, and as such, it doesn't make any difference if they're married or not.

Because the reason he doesn't make much income is because he is too lazy to work like other people do.

Except...you can't get unemployment if they fired you for a justifiable cause.

Actually you have to do something really bad to not get unemployment.

Oh my god. That is absolutely NOT TRUE.

I work with these programs all the time. I have access to the unemployment screens, I work daily with them.

If you are fired for substandard work, if you are fired for not going to work, if you are fired for not doing your job, you DON'T get unemployment.

Now once you get unemployment, there are all sorts of extensions now, that's a new thing....

But you don't get unemployment if you are fired for not doing or not showing up for your job.

Trust me on this one. I deny people cash benefits and certain medical programs all the time because they don't qualify for UC.

Your information is inaccurate.

A family member had a pretty good job. There were several times he took off the day just because he felt like sleeping in. He did this numerous times. He got a warning, and a final warning.

One day, he took his girlfriend to the doctor, and he got fired for absentees.

He was first denied unemployment benefits, but he appealed it.

I read the ruling from the appeals court. The unemployment insurance was reinstated because according to the judge he didn't commit I am not sure I recall the legal term, I believe it was "gross negligence". Although he had many absentees the judge ruled that since the last time was for taking his girlfriend to the doctor that doesn't constitute "gross negligence" (if I recall the term correctly).

So no, you can't be denied unemployment insurance, because the boss doesn't like you, or he considers your work substandard.

And not showing up for work is a pretty serious reason to get fired.

I took all the applications and did the qualifications for the Free/Reduced lunches.

Let me tell you that the system goes on an honor bases. If someone writes down on their application they have 10 kids and I know they have only 2, there isn't a damn thing I could do about it. I had to go by what they wrote down.

They say you could be audited but never once in the 4 years did I ever witness a case. I even called them and told them that I felt many are lying on the application and can prove it on a few. They told me, process it by what is on the application.
That's not true, either. You must qualify for the school lunch program.

http://www.fns.usda.gov/cnd/Governance/notices/iegs/EligibilityManual.pdf

Forum List

Back