Groceries for guns

That's true, the buy back programs are feel good hokum. No one is against them. I've never heard anyone say that there shouldn't be such a program. Just that it doesn't do any good.

Although, I have heard rumors, that most of the guns in the buyback program are sold and back on the streets. The cops gotta make a buck too. I would not accuse a police officer of lifting some of these guns and selling them. Just like I wouldn't accuse a police officer of emptying an evidence locker of a cocaine stash. But it happens.

here they are not sold... they are melted down and turned into man hole covers.

Maybe not LEGALLY sold...I'm sure more than a few walk out the back door for quick cash.

I tried to hand in a Jennings 9mm...but they refused to accept it.

Evidently it is classified as a hand grenade. :lol:

(disclaimer...this humor requires minimal knowledge of Jennings firearms)

I heard some dude had a similar problem with a Clarke. He was told they didn't accept toys.

See disclaimer above

This is GREAT NEWS for the thousands of criminals and other assorted thugs and gang members in Los Angeles.

Now they can do their break-ins, car-jackings, armed robberies, and other crimes, and only have to worry about the victims throwing fruit or vegetables or meat at them to protect themselves.

OK

so they are giving a maximum of $200 in a supermarket gift card.

You still pay taxes at the supermarket, so you get LESS than $200 total?

No dice.

If they want any of my firearms they need to pay top dollar in CASH.

Uh... you still pay taxes for your $200 in groceries, regardless where it comes from. I take it you're not an accountant.

I doubt they 'need' to pay numero uno top dollar. I think they'll survive without your guns.

my point is that you are likely getting way less than the gun is worth.

Why do it?

Groceries For Guns: Los Angeles Police Department Collects More Than 1,500 Weapons In Annual Buyback

s-GUNS-FOR-GROCERIES-large.jpg

... Police officers filled bins with more than 1,500 rifles and handguns outside the Los Angeles Memorial Sports Arena and the Van Nuys Masonic Temple, according to the Los Angeles Daily News...

The anonymous buyback program allowed weapons to be turned in with no questions asked. Handguns, rifles and shotguns could be exchanged for $100 Ralphs grocery store gift cards. Assault weapons earned a $200 card.

Same thing we did - only we didn't give them a measly grocery card.

OK

so they are giving a maximum of $200 in a supermarket gift card.

You still pay taxes at the supermarket, so you get LESS than $200 total?

No dice.

If they want any of my firearms they need to pay top dollar in CASH.

Uh... you still pay taxes for your $200 in groceries, regardless where it comes from. I take it you're not an accountant.

I doubt they 'need' to pay numero uno top dollar. I think they'll survive without your guns.

Why do it?

Why do it? Same reason you might clean up a blighted abandoned house -- to make a slight improvement in your world. It's not supposed to be a freaking business opportunity.

Why do it?

Why do it? Same reason you might clean up a blighted abandoned house -- to make a slight improvement in your world. It's not supposed to be a freaking business opportunity.

It cleans up the quality of guns on the street. ABout 99% of what's turned in is absolute crap: Lorcins, crappy broken shotguns, RG revolvers--stuff that was cheap and nasty when it was made and hasn't imprpved in 30 years. But whatever is turned in represents about .0000001% of all the guns in circulation. And career criminals aren't about to turn in their means of protection and livelihood. It's only feel good homeowners who have been tricked into thinking this makes anyone safer.

If you read the article, one man turned in a gun with a street value of $40.00 for a gift card worth $100.00. He kept the better gun.

It's really dangerous to think that this buy back program has made the streets any safer. It's at best a false sense of security.

Why do it?

using that same logic you should stop posting on this forum

Gun buy backs have NO reason to be objectional to the right.

they will rail against them for WHAT reason?

There is one very clear reason why gun buybacks are objectional (sic) to the right or anyone else blessed with but minimal functioning brain capacity, which certainly eliminates you and other lefty anti-gun pukes.

For WHAT reason? Because they DON'T FRIGGIN' WORK!!!

Don't believe me? Then look no further than Barry's hometown of Chicago, variously described as murder capital of the country or murder capital of the world. Take your pick.

Last June the city hosted another Gun Turn-In day, for the sixth year in a row. It's very simple to participate in...turn in a gun, no questions asked, and get a $100 MasterCard gift card. Wow, sounds easy, huh?

So easy that in recent years Chicago's Gun Turn-In day has set national records for the number of guns collected, over 3000 in '06. But in '07 they shattered their own record with over 6,700 guns taken off the streets. The city's six-year total now stands at 23,000+.

But it's had ZERO impact on the city's title of murder capital. In October they recorded their 436th homicide for the year, surpassing last year's total, and the last I read they're now just shy of 490 for this year, and counting (can't wait for New Year's Eve!!!).

So buyback all the guns you lefty idiots want and be sure to ratchet up the gun laws too as Chicago has also done, and then sit back and observe what all that brings about...it's called futility, albeit the deadly kind.

From Rham & Barry's town...City of Chicago :: City to Host Gun Turn-In Event

Gee...Chicago notched homicide #500 for the year yesterday.

What's that I hear in the strict gun laws and turn-in city? We're Number 1!!!...We're Number 1!!!...

Grim milestone: Austin shooting 500th homicide in Chicago - chicagotribune.com

If you read the article, one man turned in a gun with a street value of $40.00 for a gift card worth $100.00. He kept the better gun.

It's really dangerous to think that this buy back program has made the streets any safer. It's at best a false sense of security.

or he bought a better gun with the hundred bucks

Groceries For Guns: Los Angeles Police Department Collects More Than 1,500 Weapons In Annual Buyback

s-GUNS-FOR-GROCERIES-large.jpg

... Police officers filled bins with more than 1,500 rifles and handguns outside the Los Angeles Memorial Sports Arena and the Van Nuys Masonic Temple, according to the Los Angeles Daily News...

The anonymous buyback program allowed weapons to be turned in with no questions asked. Handguns, rifles and shotguns could be exchanged for $100 Ralphs grocery store gift cards. Assault weapons earned a $200 card.

Yeah those people are morons. Way to go you future slaves to the government.:clap2:

dear silly woman they have to hand them back.

the police can then trace the guns if they prove to have been involved in a crime

You are, by far, the dumbest person I've ever encountered. Ever.

oh, I dunno 'bout that...

on the subject of guns, what's-his-name (the guy with the Dr. Strangelove avie) and several others could definitely give TM a run for the money... :)

True, but TM wins because she's ignorant all the time and on every topic.

Forum List

Back