Grizzly Kills Hiker in Yellowstone

Incorrect.

google "guns in national parks". The Good Reverend can not post links as of yet.

More importantly, I've never let something as silly as an unConstitutional law disuade me from carrying a firearm wherever I wanted; including right into the offices of State Sentators and Representatives on Beacon Hill in Boston.

That too!
But bear spray is recommended over the .44 due to the speed of a grizzly charge. Not everyone is a sharpshooter under pressure.

No sharpshooting necessary when a grizly is bearing down on you. Hit the target, which is probably just about blocking your entire line of sight. Any torso shot should be a significant deterent to the animal if you're using proper ammunition. If nothing else it should slow the bear down enough to give you a chance to get off a better aimed killing shot. I have friends who travel to Alaska regularly and this is their prefered bear defense tool.

Braggadcio much there, amigo?

How many of your friends have actually dealt with an 800 pound Griz charging them at 30 miles per hour?

My guess would be none who are extant.

Braggadcio much there, amigo?

Nope. Just the honest facts of the situation. BTW - I'm not your or anyone's "amigo". We speak ENGLISH where I come from, thank you very much.

How many of your friends have actually dealt with an 800 pound Griz charging them at 30 miles per hour?

Thankfully none have had to so far. However, proper preparation ensures that if one has to, they will be as ready as possible to deal with the situation.

Originally posted by Sallow
I hate shark fishing.

Few people ever eat the shark.

Elasmobranchii (sharks, rays, skates) tastes like rubber.

The american tradition of visiting national parks is completely unheard of in Latin America.

People can't even imagine a country like America where this activity is a national pastime.

Latin american wildlife is left alone to thrive as it should be in the US. If you love nature this is the best thing you can do for them.

José;3831174 said:
The american tradition of visiting national parks is completely unheard of in Latin America.

People can't even imagine a country like America where this activity is a national pastime.

Latin american wildlife is left alone to thrive as it should be in the US. If you love nature this is the best thing you can do for them.

So we should all live in cities, eat super proccessed foods and never venture out into the wild?

José;3831174 said:

How do you "love" nature from afar?

José;3831174 said:

So we should all live in cities, eat super proccessed foods and never venture out into the wild?

LOL, Rev. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

My last post REALLY sounded a bit too eco-jihadist for my own taste...

José;3831275 said:
José;3831174 said:

LOL, Rev. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

My last post REALLY sounded a bit too eco-jihadist for my own taste...

Well considering the Amazon and the fact it's easier to list what you can eat instead of what will kill you....

When my sainted Pop visited Yellowstone as a 7 year old, he noticed the billboard at the park entrance. It featured a picture of a large, threatening bear with long claws and teeth. Above the picture was the word D-A-N-G-E-R-O-U-S!

Pop asked a Ranger if there are many of those "Dangeroos" in the park.

Last edited:
I ran into a black bear about 10 years ago in Yellowstone while in the back country flyfishing. I just backed up slowly and he moved on. Browns are a bit more timid though. Grizzlies aren't.

This is relatively common in Yellowstone....July, when it seems everyone from Chicago to San Diego decides to visit....last year while I was camping up there, a Canadian was dragged out of their tent and killed by a mother grizzly after I sprayed her with bear spray.

A week or so before my encounter a Botonist stumbled upon a bear that had been tranquilized for tagging and left alone to recover. Apparently, being tagged makes a bear extremely irritable, and hungrey (SURPRISE!).

I was up there at the same time last year in July when that happened. I was out on horseback flyfishing a couple of miles from where that happened. I always take bear spray.

Forum List

Back