Grizzly Kills Hiker in Yellowstone

i am just gonna put my money on the grizzly....

i dont think much will stop them in a full charge...hell a dead one landing on you . will kill you

That too!
But bear spray is recommended over the .44 due to the speed of a grizzly charge. Not everyone is a sharpshooter under pressure.

No sharpshooting necessary when a grizly is bearing down on you. Hit the target, which is probably just about blocking your entire line of sight. Any torso shot should be a significant deterent to the animal if you're using proper ammunition. If nothing else it should slow the bear down enough to give you a chance to get off a better aimed killing shot. I have friends who travel to Alaska regularly and this is their prefered bear defense tool.

About five years ago, I visited Yellowstone. Park Rangers there gave a brief safety lecture on dealing with the bears who were coming down to their spring roaming grounds.

"It's advisable to carry a few small bells while hiking in some areas." began the lecture "The sound of the bells will discourage some bears from approaching you. Carry a can of pepper spray and use it to deter bears. Also, take a look at any bear scat you may encounter. Black bear scat will contain small berries. Brown bear scat may contain fur from rabbits or squirrels. And Grizzly bear scat will contain small pieces of bell and smell of pepper spray."

This is relatively common in Yellowstone....July, when it seems everyone from Chicago to San Diego decides to visit....last year while I was camping up there, a Canadian was dragged out of their tent and killed by a mother grizzly after I sprayed her with bear spray.

A week or so before my encounter a Botonist stumbled upon a bear that had been tranquilized for tagging and left alone to recover. Apparently, being tagged makes a bear extremely irritable, and hungrey (SURPRISE!).

About five years ago, I visited Yellowstone. Park Rangers there gave a brief safety lecture on dealing with the bears who were coming down to their spring roaming grounds.

"It's advisable to carry a few small bells while hiking in some areas." began the lecture "The sound of the bells will discourage some bears from approaching you. Carry a can of pepper spray and use it to deter bears. Also, take a look at any bear scat you may encounter. Black bear scat will contain small berries. Brown bear scat may contain fur from rabbits or squirrels. And Grizzly bear scat will contain small pieces of bell and smell of pepper spray."

randomgrizzly-bear-warning-sign.jpg

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-n51xxF8K8]YouTube - ‪Bear Sprayed with UDAP Pepper Power Bear Deterrent‬‏[/ame]

all we got is them little black bears......

but they can kill and do on occasion

Same here strolling, I have seen a few in and thru out Cade's Cove as well as driving thru the Great Smokies.
They sell those cans of bear spray, tell you not to feed the bear, that sort of thing.
I couldn't shoot one I'm sure...I say that because I've never fired a gun! I am certain I would never be able to hit the intended target.
And there has been a few cases of someone being attacked by a black bear around here.

Pay attention city folk. This is why they sell bear spray!

Grizzly bear kills Yellowstone hiker - Yahoo! News

In light of the rising frequency of human/grizzly bear encounters, Yellowstone Park is advising hikers, backpackers, hunters, and fishermen to take extra precautions and keep alert for bears.

We advise outdoorsmen to wear noisy little bells on their clothing so that the bears are not startled unexpectedly by a human's presence. We also advise outdoorsmen to carry pepper spray with them in case of an encounter with a bear.

It is also a good idea to watch for fresh signs of bear activity. Outdoorsmen should recognize the difference between black bear poop and grizzly bear poop. Black bear poop is smaller and contains lots of berries and squirrel fur. Grizzly bear poop smells like pepper and has little bells in it.

Forum List

Back