Grilling

brewerboy

May 24, 2009
Central Illinois
So I'm a huge fan of loading a ton of steaks on the grill and cooking em up, but I'm tired of the same ol same ol as far as bbq sauce goes, and I'm not a huge fan of making my own when I dont know how it may turn out. Steaks are precious afterall.

Anyone have any good recipes for a good bbq sauce?

au natura'le

steak.JPG

Marinate ribeyes or kabobs in a mixture of red wine, a little vinegar, a lot of garlic, pepper and seasoned salt.

Grill. Yum yum.

first you are not bbqing you are grilling....2nd buy decent steaks and skip the sauce....salt and pepper the steaks....rub with garlic if you must..prior to the salt and pepper..use charcoal or wood...no gas.....
heat the grill.....slap them puppies on there....ribeye with marbling on the outside is considered the grilling steak...i watch for sales....about 6 bucks a lb on sale...

remember a steak continues to cook after you have taken it off the grill...so allow for that when cookings...i like mine medium rare...but find that hubby only grills well done...so i have to buy steaks that can handle that....son makes excellent steaks

So I'm a huge fan of loading a ton of steaks on the grill and cooking em up, but I'm tired of the same ol same ol as far as bbq sauce goes, and I'm not a huge fan of making my own when I dont know how it may turn out. Steaks are precious afterall.

Quite right. Nothing worse than a misteak.

I like a BBQ sauce called "Sticky Fingers". It's the only sauce I'll eat. I marinate my grill meats in it for a little while before grilling. With burgers I'll add a little more before I eat, with steaks I don't add anymore. It's just enough to flavor the steak slightly, but I still want to taste the steak.

As a side note, I like to cut potatoes in thirds and coat them in a little mixture of olive oil, cajun seasoning, seasoning salt, and pepper...wrap them in foil and let them cook on the grill for about 30 mins.

Don't put bbq sauce on a steak. Have used TGIFriday's Jack Daniels marinade. Also found an awesome marinade for a cheap center cut chuck steak, after you've trimmed the fat. 1 cup of soy sauce, 1/2 cup of white vinegar, 1/4 cup worchester sauce, 1/2 cup brown sugar. Refrigerate the steak for at least 3 hrs., turning it over at the halfway point, then broil or grill.

Why in the world would you put sauce on a steak?

Buy some Delmonico steaks, light the charcoal grill and don't over cook them. They should be rare (or medium rare if you must). Side of fresh corn on the cob, a salad w/fresh tomatoes, some fresh Italian bread with butter, and an icy cold beer. One and done!

Why in the world would you put sauce on a steak?

Buy some Delmonico steaks, light the charcoal grill and don't over cook them. They should be rare (or medium rare if you must). Side of fresh corn on the cob, a salad w/fresh tomatoes, some fresh Italian bread with butter, and an icy cold beer. One and done!

A very light coating of sauce on a steak before cooking does not ruin it, IMO. By the time it's done cooking most of it evaporated or cooked and dripped anyway, and only a slight flavor is left over, while still maintaining the original taste of the steak.

Now, dipping the cooked steak into sauce while eating it is a different story.

You might as well eat just the sauce by itself at that point.

...for a great steak.

Buy good meat. Cook with charcoal or wood. Smoking chips optional. Black pepper optional. Salting optional. Do not overcook. (Anything beyond medium-rare is BLASPHEMY!!)

The best restaurant steak in the world is broiled in a gas fired radiant grill with the heat from the top. The juices drip into a large pan under the meat rack. The last thing to go onto a steak coming off the grill is a large spoon of the steaming juice that dripped out earlier. No sauce. No sauce. No sauce.

Get a little bit of cypress or coffee wood, soak in water and put the chips over the coals.
BTW anyone that salts red meat before grilling it can't grill..... This includes most of the idiots on the Je...I mean food network.
Put the Goddamn salt shaker on the table where it belongs

Your liking of sauce has nothing to do with my sex life.

Get a little bit of cypress or coffee wood, soak in water and put the chips over the coals.
BTW anyone that salts red meat before grilling it can't grill..... This includes most of the idiots on the Je...I mean food network.
Put the Goddamn salt shaker on the table where it belongs
Salting prior to cooking tenderizes the meat somewhat.

Montreal seasoning, basically salt, pepper, garlic and a little red pepper. I only grill choice or better cuts, preferably rib eye or t-bone, and if you want it any more than MR, you can put it back on the grill and ruin it for yourself. Sirloin is the only cut I marinate, usually in teriyaki. If you need dipping sauce then your meat sucks! The best steak I've ever had was in Orlando, Charlie's Steakhouse, they cook over a hard wood fire, the second best (tied) has been Morton's of Chicago and Ruth's Chris, both ofthem cook with over head heat at 1800 degrees.

Last edited:
I cook all my steaks with butter. Grill one side, turn, slap a shitload of butter on the top, grill the other side. Put it on the plate with more butter underneath the un-buttered side.

Good for burgers, too.

But the Basque marinade all their meat....lamb, beef, whatever. And it's awesome.

Forum List

Back