Gregg Allman - Live Last Night

Zander

Platinum Member
Sep 10, 2009
Los Angeles CA
The Redhead and I went to see the Gregg Allman Band last night at Royce Hall on the UCLA campus. It's a fantastic venue, very intimate with superb acoustics.

We had seats in the 4th row, center so we felt as if they were playing just for us- as if we were in a very comfortable living room. The entire concert had a relaxed vibe. Full respect for the band too- they were all pro's who know their stuff. They played for a solid 2 1/2 hours with one encore. Opened with "I'm no Angel" followed by "Statesborough Blues". They hit all the big hits we were hoping for (with the notable exception of "In memory of Elizabeth Reed") .....then he closed with a jazzy version of "whipping post" followed by the incredible "one way out" replete with the 10 minute drum solo.....the last song literally had the whole place dancing!

Gregg Looks a lot older, but his voice still sounds great. He brought his daughter Layla out to sing "the sky is cryin'" - I will post another video of that- she has a strong voice!

Anyway...it was a stellar performance and we loved it!! Here is a video of "Melissa" taken with my cell phone. The sound quality is less than optimal....but that's the way it goes!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2VOVKI8RXE]Gregg Allman Band- Melissa - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited:
The Redhead and I went to see the Gregg Allman Band last night at Royce Hall on the UCLA campus. It's a fantastic venue, very intimate with superb acoustics.

We had seats in the 4th row, center so we felt as if they were playing just for us- as if we were in a very comfortable living room. The entire concert had a relaxed vibe. Full respect for the band too- they were all pro's who know their stuff. They played for a solid 2 1/2 hours with one encore. Opened with "I'm no Angel" followed by "Statesborough Blues". They hit all the big hits we were hoping for (with the notable exception of "In memory of Elizabeth Reed") .....then he closed with a jazzy version of "whipping post" followed by the incredible "one way out" replete with the 10 minute drum solo.....the last song literally had the whole place dancing!

Gregg Looks a lot older, but his voice still sounds great. He brought his daughter out to sing "the sky is cryin'" - I will post another video of that- she has a strong voice!

Anyway...it was a stellar performance and we loved it!! Here is a video of "Melissa" taken with my cell phone. The sound quality is less than optimal....but that's the way it goes!

Gregg Allman Band- Melissa - YouTube

They are a great live band,its been a few years but my red head and myself watched them play in a outstanding open air amphitheater along one of the finger lakes in NY
They might be older but haven't lost a thing.

sweet... but, gotta say, I don't think I'll ever be able to get used to sitting in a theater seat while listening to a live band from the old days...

I gotta have room to move around, mix and mingle with the rest of the crowd, and dance if I feel like it...

eta: If Jimi or Janis was alive today and playing live venues, can you imagine yourself having to sit your ass down in a theater seat for the whole show...? I can't...

Last edited:
sweet... but, gotta say, I don't think I'll ever be able to get used to sitting in a theater seat while listening to a live band from the old days...

I gotta have room to move around, mix and mingle with the rest of the crowd, and dance if I feel like it...

eta: If Jimi or Janis was alive today and playing live venues, can you imagine yourself having to sit your ass down in a theater seat for the whole show...? I can't...

The entire theater was on their feet dancing during the 30 minute encore...but yeah...sitting down is kind of a drag. Still, he was only 10-15 feet away- a living legend!! Love. Love. Loved it!!!

Here is Gregg and his daughter Layla (gotta love that name!) performing "the sky is cryin" last night...... This is worth a listen!! Awesome!! !:clap2:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NCDJZ_y1ZP0]Gregg Allman with Daughter Layla- "The Sky is Cryin" - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited:

The entire theater was on their feet dancing during the 30 minute encore...but yeah...sitting down is kind of a drag. Still, he was only 10-15 feet away- a living legend!! Love. Love. Loved it!!!

sweet... thanks for sharing that, Z... :)

His reworking of "Midnight Rider" .....(this was shot by someone else last night)

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tb2wf2hzpLo]Gregg Allman - Midnight Rider (with Tal Wilkenfeld) @ Royce Hall, Los Angeles, CA, USA - YouTube[/ame]

Opened the show with his solo hit......

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fu9pSV8AUM4]Gregg Allman - I'm No Angel - Live 1-11-13 - YouTube[/ame]

Last one- "Wasted Words".....Not bad for a cell phone!!

Last edited by a moderator:
This song helped me survive a very emotional break-up in 1979.

I was contemplating suicide when I heard this song and it helped me to let go.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GgS41miQD8Y]Gregg Allman - It Ain't No Use - Playin' Up a Storm 1977 - YouTube[/ame]

Did he play this song at your concert?

Did he play this song at the concert you attended?

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhh15jE7194]"BRING IT ON BACK"(GREGG ALLMAN)1977 - YouTube[/ame]

I saw the band when I was living in Raleigh about 7 years ago...it was a venue with some seating under roof, but plenty of lawn seats to spread out and freestyle. The giant screens set up behind them displayed a very trippy sort of kaleidoscope show.

I saw the Allman Brothers twice and don't see how you can possibly play "In memory of Elizabeth Reed" without Duane and Dickie?

actually....i dont see how you can play any of their early stuff without those two.....but thats just me.....glad you liked the show Zander....:eusa_angel:

Last edited:
What I was most impressed with, was how humble Gregg seemed. No "star" bullshit. Yeah, he was the "star" of the show, but not in an overt "lady gaga" kind of way. He let the music speak for itself. He gave his band mates room to shine...and they did!! . It was a cool, breezy vibe- with a group of journeyman musicians.....

I get the feeling that he is a very shy man....which is amazing when you consider his life spent on stage.....:cool:

Forum List

Back