Greg Gutfeld (Red Eye Host) Responds To Fox News' Critics: Hypocrites About Tolerance

paulitician

Platinum Member
Oct 7, 2011
This is an interesting interview with Greg Gutfeld conducted by the L.A. Times. His show 'Red Eye' on Fox news is very under-rated and hilarious in my opinion. I really would like to see them change his time-slot so the show can be enjoyed by more viewers.

Why did you want to go from the top of the men’s magazine world to Fox News?

I loved Fox News. I’d been on a couple of times, and I found it refreshing. Before Fox News, what was there? There was this terrible sameness — all the same faces with the same assumptions about America’s place in the world. The news was deliberately obscuring another perspective, and it was one that reflected reality in my mind and who I was, and the gap between what was real and what was on the news, I thought, was huge. And FNC at least for me filled that gap.

What do you have to say to critics of Fox News who regard it as a tool of the right wing?

I always love questions like that, because no one ever says, “I don’t like Fox News.” They say, “What do you say to the critics?” In the old days, major media was outrageously liberal, but they owned all the players on the teams, they owned the ball, they owned the stadium. And when Fox News shows up to play, everyone else wants to take the ball and go home. You hear nothing but whining about Fox News because they’re kicking everybody’s butt. And I love that. The people who whine about Fox News are hypocrites — they say they’re totally tolerant, but when they run into someone who doesn’t share their assumptions, they say, “Fox News is evil, and it must be stopped.”

Read More...
http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/news/la-ca-conversation-20111127,0,3555163.story
http://bigjournalism.com/pjsalvator...itics-hypocrites-about-tolerance/#more-246132

Last edited:
I will NEVER be tolerant of lies.

Fox lies.

Hell they paid the big bucks in court to prove they could lie to the people

I dvr Red Eye every night even though Gutfeld has become a bit of a sellout ever since he got the gig hosting The Five. He used to identify himself as a libertarian but now he plays the FNC party line taking cheap shots at Ron Paul on The Five when on Red Eye he always supported Paul's ideas. I guess you gotta do what you gotta do but it's still weaksauce.

I dvr Red Eye every night even though Gutfeld has become a bit of a sellout ever since he got the gig hosting The Five. He used to identify himself as a libertarian but now he plays the FNC party line taking cheap shots at Ron Paul on The Five when on Red Eye he always supported Paul's ideas. I guess you gotta do what you gotta do but it's still weaksauce.

Yea different shows. On 'The Five' something different is expected of him. I actually don't mind the jokes about Ron Paul. Some of them are pretty funny. Gotta have a sense of humor in these things.

I will NEVER be tolerant of lies.

Fox lies.

Hell they paid the big bucks in court to prove they could lie to the people

Oops...you're fibbing.

"Clearly, the story that FOX News got a court ruling in favor of its right to "lie" in its news broadcasts has become something of a talking point among the cable news channel's detractors. There's only one problem - the story as popularly told is completely false, and is based almost exclusively on hysteria, hyperbole, and half-truths.

There was indeed a lawsuit filed by journalists Jane Akre and Steve Wilson over their dismissal from FOX affiliate WTVT in Tampa, Florida. After that fact, however, the story is far different than how it is popularly portrayed.

To begin with, the popular portrayal almost always omits the rather crucial fact that Akre and Wilson lost almost every one of their claims at the trial court. As the Florida Second District Court of Appeal noted in their ruling:

Akre and Wilson sued WTVT alleging... that their terminations had been in retaliation for their resisting WTVT's attempts to distort or suppress the BGH story and for threatening to report the alleged news distortion to the FCC. Akre also brought claims for declaratory relief and for breach of contract. After a four-week trial, a jury found against Wilson on all of his claims. The trial court directed a verdict against Akre on her breach of contract claim, Akre abandoned her claim for declaratory relief, and the trial court let her whistle-blower claims go to the jury. The jury rejected all of Akre's claims except her claim that WTVT retaliated against her in response to her threat to disclose the alleged news distortion to the FCC.

It is also not correct to claim, as the Gaddy story quoted above states, that the jury ruled that the FOX affiliate had, in fact, found that the station had attempted to force Akre and Wilson to air "a false, distorted or slanted story..."

More importantly, and more relevant to the examination of whether WTVT actually asserted a"right to lie"in its newscasts, is that there is nothing on record to show that this argument was ever advanced in court.

Whatever the truth of the dispute between the two reporters and WTVT, it seems clear that the station did not at the trial court level admit that it had attempted to distort the news story or assert the"right to lie"in its broadcasts.

It is also worth noting that of all the web sites, blog postings, and online commentary on the subject of the FOX "right to lie" argument, not a single one that I've seen links to anything that would substantiate the claim. Very few even bother to link to the actual 2nd District opinion overturning Akre's whistleblower verdict, or anything else related to the case itself.

Yet in all the claims and charges leveled directly by Akre and Wilson against the FOX affiliate across multiple venues and platforms, there is not a single mention of any "right to lie" argument allegedly offered by WTVT. They seemingly accuse the station of nearly every other sin imaginable in the world of journalism, but are completely silent on this charge.

FOX, Lies & Videotape: debunking an internet myth*»*Blog*»* Center for Competitive Politics

FOX, Lies & Videotape: debunking an internet myth*»*Blog*»* Center for Competitive Politics

Now...would you like to apologize?

This is an interesting interview with Greg Gutfeld conducted by the L.A. Times. His show 'Red Eye' on Fox news is very under-rated and hilarious in my opinion. I really would like to see them change his time-slot so the show can be enjoyed by more viewers.

Why did you want to go from the top of the men’s magazine world to Fox News?

I loved Fox News. I’d been on a couple of times, and I found it refreshing. Before Fox News, what was there? There was this terrible sameness — all the same faces with the same assumptions about America’s place in the world. The news was deliberately obscuring another perspective, and it was one that reflected reality in my mind and who I was, and the gap between what was real and what was on the news, I thought, was huge. And FNC at least for me filled that gap.

What do you have to say to critics of Fox News who regard it as a tool of the right wing?

I always love questions like that, because no one ever says, “I don’t like Fox News.” They say, “What do you say to the critics?” In the old days, major media was outrageously liberal, but they owned all the players on the teams, they owned the ball, they owned the stadium. And when Fox News shows up to play, everyone else wants to take the ball and go home. You hear nothing but whining about Fox News because they’re kicking everybody’s butt. And I love that. The people who whine about Fox News are hypocrites — they say they’re totally tolerant, but when they run into someone who doesn’t share their assumptions, they say, “Fox News is evil, and it must be stopped.”

Read More...
Greg Gutfeld: The Sunday Conversation - latimes.com
Greg Gutfeld Responds to Fox News’ Critics: Hypocrites About Tolerance - Big Journalism

I watch him regularly on "The Five," and he is one funny guy!

Last week he was talking about some CNN reporter complaining about Fox, and said: "I left my pet ferret, Captain Sprinkles, with a neighbor who watched him while I was out of town...
....so, now it's official- Captain Sprinkles has more viewers than CNN!"

The L.A. Times was surprisingly fair in this interview. Being a large Liberal/Democrat Media Outlet themselves,they haven't been too fair to Fox News in the past. So i have to give them Kudos on this one. And who knows? Maybe i'll start reading the Times again?

Here's a few more exerpts from the interview...

You had quite a cyber tiff last month with Adam Levine, when he tweeted that he wanted Fox News to stop playing his music.

I have to say that Adam Levine is truly a daring young man to go on Twitter to bash Fox News. He's so rebellious, so subversive. I mean, for a musician, seriously, could you find a more predictable stance than that? He's as edgy as a hacky sack, which also describes his music. So I went on there basically to lower the bar of discourse. If he's going to rag on Fox News, I'm going to make stupid jokes about him.

You wrote for the Huffington Post in the early years, including a mini cartoon series making fun of Arianna Huffington. You essentially called her a hypocrite for not paying writers. How did you get away with that?

I was pretty much their first blogger, because I was blogging from England and my posts showed up hours earlier than everybody else. Once I got in there, it was impossible for Arianna to get me out of there because I was fun mold. If you removed me, the HuffPo became boring and I think Arianna knew that. If I wasn't there, the Huffington Post probably would have collapsed under its own self-seriousness.

And a few more exerpts...

"The Five," which you started helming in July, replaced Glenn Beck. How has that changed your network profile, and how are you guys approaching the gig differently?

The thing about "The Five" is that it works. It's kind of neat when something takes off organically. Put five people with strong personalities in a room to talk about stuff that happened that day. Glenn Beck had a single powerful perspective, but there are five of us, so it makes it maybe a little more unpredictable, more of a delicious mess. And they're also amazingly beautiful people, which helps. I have the greatest job — I sit next to Dana Perino, across from Kimberly Guilfoyle and I get to raise [Democratic consultant and Fox commentator] Bob Beckel's blood pressure. I try to turn his face into a red state.

New Topics

Forum List

Back