Greetings from Vieques

Luddly Neddite

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2011
Dont know if this is the place to post this but we've been on vacation in the Caribbean for the past week and have another week to play.

If you're looking for a truly wonderful and unique place to go, try Puerto Rico's Old San Juan and the island of Vieques.

Perfect weather, lots to do, really terrific people - and they need the money.

Talk about taxation without representation ....

But, all in all, it's not surprising that people come for vacation and stay.

When we get back I'll put some videos on you tube. Also need to switch photo host sites. Anyone have ideas?

Dont know if this is the place to post this but we've been on vacation in the Caribbean for the past week and have another week to play.

If you're looking for a truly wonderful and unique place to go, try Puerto Rico's Old San Juan and the island of Vieques.

We used to shell/bomb the fuck out of that place when I was aboard BB-61

Have you seen the bioluminescent bay yet? You MUST! Missing it would be like going to Piza, Italy and not seeing the Leaning Tower.

I've been there a few times, when I did some work at Roosevelt Roads Naval Base. There are some cool little beach bars that you should get drunk at.

Did bio bay last night. Incredible. It rained so it was like the bay was wxploding. Back to Old San Juan tomorrow and home on Sat.

Apparently, the Navy is making some headway in cleaning up the ordinance but still a lot to do.

A lot to do which is why I haven't been posting. Exhausting which is why I'm sitting here now, posting. Don't be so petty. It makes you sound like a bitter rw.

District of Columbia.

(Have a great time.)

Vacation in the Caribbean for 2 weeks?....dam....you must be one of the 1% ers....:eek:.....have a nice time fella....

True that it's damn pricey but we've worked and saved our whole lives in order to be able to enjoy our retirement. We take at least one major trip every year as well as smaller trips - We went to Boston for week in March - and have budgeted for that. Last year, France and Belgium, year before was England and we've been talking about doing the rest of the British isles next.

We go home tomorrow ... Right now, we're sitting in a very cool little cafe in Old San Juan, sipping the best coffee we've had in a long time. Pooped, tanned and, as much as we love to travel, ready to go home.

Funny but we really miss our dog and two cats. The dog loves going to the kennel so much that we can't say the owners first name out loud. The cats stay home but we have a sitter who spoils them for us.

We've been in a news blackout. No tv, sporadic Internet, but looks like nothing much changed during the past two weeks.

Thanks for the good wishes.

True that it's damn pricey but we've worked and saved our whole lives in order to be able to enjoy our retirement. We take at least one major trip every year as well as smaller trips - We went to Boston for week in March - and have budgeted for that. Last year, France and Belgium, year before was England and we've been talking about doing the rest of the British isles next.

We go home tomorrow ... Right now, we're sitting in a very cool little cafe in Old San Juan, sipping the best coffee we've had in a long time. Pooped, tanned and, as much as we love to travel, ready to go home.

Funny but we really miss our dog and two cats. The dog loves going to the kennel so much that we can't say the owners first name out loud. The cats stay home but we have a sitter who spoils them for us.

We've been in a news blackout. No tv, sporadic Internet, but looks like nothing much changed during the past two weeks.

Breaking: Wingnuts are still assholes.

Your internet only connects to this site, assbrain?

My Hubby lived there as a boy for a couple of years and LOVED it

Why don't you?

Vacation in the Caribbean for 2 weeks?....dam....you must be one of the 1% ers....:eek:.....have a nice time fella....
BTW, I just read that the "average CEO" pay in 2011 was almost $11million plus bennies. With that kinda money, I'd just buy my own island.

We were told that Trump owns the property adjacent to the resort where we stay on Vieques. (this was our fourth trip there.) Nothing on it but the ubiquitous horses and I'd hate to see one of those ghastly eyesore hotels there. Where we stay is right on the ocean and as it is now, nothing mars that view.

When we get back, I'll post some videos on you tube.

Truth matters, has he ever considered going back there to live? We have met a lot of people who had moved to the main island or to Vieques.

A huge consideration is that, no matter what you need or want, you must take the ferry to San Juan to buy it. There are small markets that sell very basic things like bread and toilet paper but we saw many people getting on the ferry in San Juan loaded down with all kinds of things.

Prices are very high for some things. For example, we paid almost exactly twice as much for our favorite wine when we bought it by the bottle. Restaurants for the tourists are almost all very good but even breakfast will run $50.

Most PRs are D, or so we've been told so there's no way the Rs will ever let them vote in a general election or allow them statehood. And, not all want to have statehood although, to a person, all who we talked to said they would vote for Obama. Big scandal here is that the mayor is a very crooked bagger who lied to get elected, fired thousands and gave huge contracts to his cronies. We listened to that and thought, Welcome to US politics.

Living there would make for an interesting life and that's putting it mildly.

Time to go be a tourist before it gets any hotter. And, there are some photos I want to get.

Why don't you?

We leave late tomorrow afternoon. If I never post here again, you can pretend our plane went down in the Bermuda Triangle.

Forum List

Back