Greetings from one of the greatest influences on the American revolution.

I love it when somebody tries to imply what the Founding Fathers would think of today's world based on what they were dealing with back then, trying to found a new government free of the English monarchy back when they were fighting with muskets and a calvary that consisted of actual horses instead of anything motorized. The Communist Manifesto hasn't even been written back then; they were weighing a democracy and republican government against a crown. Indentured servitude and slavery were still acceptable back then. You needed to be a free property-owning man to vote, even after the Bill of Rights... WHY THE FUCK DO WE CARE WHAT THEY WOULD THINK OF OUR STATE OF AFFAIRS NOW???

Of course liberalism during the revolution is nothing like today's liberalism, or conservatism for that matter. They never had telecommunications back then, and the wind-sailed galleons of their time can't carry the kind of merch today's barges and cargo ships can carry. Can we really extrapolate their ideas with today's technology and the current global economy?

That's why I can never agree with strict constitutionalists who deny that the Constitution is a living document.
A strict constitutionalist would never deny it lives through the amendment process. Your point?

How many necessary laws are now on the books that have no direct Constitutional basis is my point.

welcome...nice to see another liberal

Good luck.....you are seriously outnumbered

Of course liberalism during the revolution is nothing like today's liberalism, or conservatism for that matter.

Really... so very interesting... can you show me an example of "revolution era liberalism," or "conservatism?"

If you read the rest of the post you'd see where that was coming from. Do I really need to reiterate that they weren't dealing with any of the same issues we're dealing with today? I mean, they didn't even have electricity.

I'm not concerned with the issues... you made a claim there was "revolution era liberalism," and I asked you to give me an example of that. Do I really need to reiterate that question?

A strict constitutionalist would never deny it lives through the amendment process. Your point?

How many necessary laws are now on the books that have no direct Constitutional basis is my point.
Are you sure that was your point? :lol::lol::lol:

Yes, what part don't you get? The amendment process is hardly the only way laws are created. I'm surprised you didn't try to slap me down for saying "strict Constitutionalist" instead of "strict constructionist." How did a genius like you miss that?

smileyvault-cute-big-smiley-animated-013.gif

1) "Is today's far-left Progressivism one of your enemies?"
The answer is: Nope.
Then, you're not Liberalism.
2) "How about Marxism?"
answer: I thought Marxism died with Karl.
Dodging the question. How nice to see.
3) "You think Liberalism and far-left Progressivism are the same?"
answer: Considering they are two distinctly different terms, you continue to leave me wondering what it is you are attempting to convey. Would you ask if John Locke were a far-left Progressive?
Deflecting and again, not answering the question.

Hint for you: The Liberals you represent in your avatar weren't progressives, weren't Marxists, and weren't far-left loons.
1) Like a wonderfully bright and inspiring man I've met recently likes to say, I do not view those who possess differing political views than I do, or who hold opposing ideological thoughts to mine, as enemies; ideological or otherwise. Being a liberal I view political opponents and others who possess different views than I as ideological and political opponents, and not as enemies.

2) I have no idea what Marxism has to do with anything. Marxism is and always will be anathema to any person with an inkling of common sense and an understanding of human nature. Most if not all ideologies and dogmatic movements with their theories are bound to corruption and failure because of the human element.

3) The men represented in my avatar were all progressive thinking individuals with liberal leanings who put aside the kind of silliness most of us partake of here. They put aside very real differences of opinion for the common good. Marxism hadn't yet been laid out. There is no telling what a progressive like Thomas Jefferson would have thought of Marxism. Jefferson was a huge fan of the French Revolution. Far-left loons are exactly what some of those men's contemporaries would've most likely called them had they had the unfortunate experience to live in our time.

Then, you're not Liberalism.Dodging the question. How nice to see.
answer: Considering they are two distinctly different terms, you continue to leave me wondering what it is you are attempting to convey. Would you ask if John Locke were a far-left Progressive?

Hint for you: The Liberals you represent in your avatar weren't progressives, weren't Marxists, and weren't far-left loons.
He/she knows that MM, but one thing liberals hate, and that's for you to expose them. That makes them very uncomfortable. Ask him/her why it is they've chosen to obviously dodge your question, but don't hold your breath for an answer to that either.
I know no such thing and I do not think I was dodging a question. Sometimes questions are so asinine or ridiculous that there are few civil and polite ways to address them without appearing to be disrespectful.

Hello, I am Liberalism. I am one of the greatest influences on the political minds behind the American revolution. I happen to be absent of late due to the influences of corruption. Corruption's attempt to take over the republic from time to time can be quite unsettling, but rest assured dear people that what some view as the enemies of liberalism and the American republic: conservatism, and populism, will eventually be beaten back as they always have been. They serve a role that is not always obvious.

The perceived enemies of liberalism and her child America, will always rear their suffocating heads from time to time as they are the polar opposites of liberalism. They are the yin of Liberty's yang.

Fear not conservative principles as they are nothing but a part of the dual nature that is American independence, freedom and liberty. They are not our enemies. They are only our darker side: slow, soft, insubstantial, diffuse, cold, wet, and tranquil.

:eusa_whistle:

Welcome to USMB, Liberalism. Hope you enjoy the boards.

I think you will enjoy the USMB Arts and Crafts boards. On a Green note, you can get an idea, and you can make use of all your old recyclables. Take socks for example. There are so many things one can do with old socks other than throwing them away or wearing mismatched socks. You can make a bed for your pet or pet rock with old socks galore! Sometimes grandma knits one sock too large, so it rolls around. See how it can be reused?

Kitty-Sock-Bed.jpg

Credit and instructions at Sewing Kitty

Sew many socks, so little time.

LOL, I thought for a second there John Rawls had returned! Welcome, we need more real Americans on board.

"Ideally citizens are to think of themselves as if they were legislators and ask themselves what statutes, supported by what reasons satisfying the criterion of reciprocity, they would think is most reasonable to enact." John Rawls

"'Individuals have rights, and there are things no person or group may do to them without violating their rights.' 'Each person possesses an inviolability founded on justice that even the welfare of society as a whole cannot override.' 'There would be no point in the boast that we respect individual rights unless that involved some sacrifices, and the sacrifice in question must be that we give up whatever marginal benefits our country would receive from overriding these rights when they prove inconvenient.'" Nozick, Rawls, Dworkin

Last edited:
Then, you're not Liberalism.
2) "How about Marxism?"
answer: I thought Marxism died with Karl.
Dodging the question. How nice to see.

It's impossible to have an honest, adult conversation with a modern liberal .... and the most typical positions for which they will take on almost every topic is as predictable as the Sun rising in the east, with their tactical approach to debate as predictable as the Sun setting in the west.

Coy ... deceptive ... flat out dishonesty when necessary (and it's almost always necessary), irrational and Orwellian in their lifelong marriage to circular reasoning, are the trademarks of the modern day leftist.

Forum List

Back