Greetings from Finland

Sodafin

Dec 17, 2009
Helsinki, Finland
Hi everyone,

I'm from Helsinki, Finland. I'm a journalist, so any thoughts you have on the leftist media conspiracy, please take them somewhere else.

On the other hand, I work a lot in conflict zones and the Third World, so hopefully there will be some interesting discussion on some of those places too.

Welcome. We hope to travel up your way some day, it appears to be a beautiful place.

"If by a 'Liberal' they mean someone who looks ahead and not behind, someone who welcomes new ideas without rigid reactions, someone who cares about the welfare of the people -their health, their housing, their schools, their jobs, their civil rights, and their civil liberties -- someone who believes we can break through the stalemate and suspicions that grip us in our policies abroad, if that is what they mean by a 'Liberal,' then I'm proud to say I'm a 'Liberal.'" President John F Kennedy on September 14, 1960

Welcome! Tell me about Finland's well regarded educational system?

Hi everyone,

I'm from Helsinki, Finland. I'm a journalist, so any thoughts you have on the leftist media conspiracy, please take them somewhere else.

On the other hand, I work a lot in conflict zones and the Third World, so hopefully there will be some interesting discussion on some of those places too.

Greetings.

In the USA, there is a move afoot to nationalize healthcare insurance. The actual healthcare will still be privately provided. This will be private industry directed by government interests much along the model of the Nazis some years back or of the California utilities more recently. Obviously, the Nazis were more successful.

In Finland, is there nationally provided healthcare? Is the actual healthcare provided or is it just the insurance system? Is the level of care good? What is the annual cost to the average Finn? Are there any drawbacks to the system that you have noticed? Did the system now used in Finland spring up all at once or step by step?

If this is an unfair or uninformed set of questions, please make a response that addresses a better set of questions.

My concern is that in this country the Congressional majority exists so the program must be voted on rather than finding that the idea is good so we should adopt it.

Last edited:
Welcome. We hope to travel up your way some day, it appears to be a beautiful place.

Well, let's not get carried away now - at the moment it is -17C and dark outside!

Finland is not really particularly beautiful, but it does have some charms. It is clean, safe, efficient and people are generally honest and hardworking.

In Finland, is there nationally provided healthcare? Is the actual healthcare provided or is it just the insurance system? Is the level of care good? What is the annual cost to the average Finn? Are there any drawbacks to the system that you have noticed? Did the system now used in Finland spring up all at once or step by step?

Yes, everyone here has access to healthcare. Patients pay a token fee for services - for instance, a night in hospital currently costs something like €28.

The level of care is exceptional. In my experience it is completely world class. There can be minor delays for surgery, but generally the queues are quite short, and research shows most people are very satisfied with the level of service.

When I've followed he debate in the US I have been shocked and extremely disappointed that conservatives have taken such a negative and counter-productive approach. Universal healthcare here is excellent and efficient - and costs less per capita than the US system. That doesn't mean the US should copy us - it is up to American voters to decide that - but it does mean conservatives should accept the strengths and validity of universal health care as a concept.

We also have free dentistry and psychiatric care.

Welcome Sodafin

I've never been to Finland but I was in Stockholm in the summer and watched Finnish TV from Helsinki for 15 minutes! The program was a few Finnish women talking about something while showing shots of downtown Helsinki.

The topography of Finland is very similar to where I come from in northern Saskatchewan.

As a Canadian, let me salute all the great Finnish hockey players like Saku Koivu, Teemu Selanne and Jari Kurri! And as a Liverpool fan, let me salute Sami Hyppia!

Last edited:
Welcome Sodafin

I've never been to Finland but I was in Stockholm in the summer and watched Finnish TV from Helsinki for 15 minutes! The program was a few Finnish women talking about something while showing shots of downtown Helsinki.

The topography of Finland is very similar to where I come from in northern Saskatchewan.

As a Canadian, let me salute all the great Finnish hockey players like Saku Koivu, Teemu Selanne and Jari Kurri! And as a Liverpool fan, let me salute Sami Hyppia!

Teppo Numminen played his last years for the Sabres... he was great... Toni Lydman is currently with the Sabres...(defens(c)e...LOL

Thanks Toro!

Canadians and Finns always seem to get along well. We both understand the cold, we know how to drink - and we both know what to do on the ice! And most Finns also love NHL!

Stockholm is a glorious city - it is much prettier than Helsinki, I have to admit.

Speaking of cold, let me also thank Finns for their greatest invention ever, the sauna!

We know a Canadian couple here in Florida who built a sauna in their house. Seems kind of pointless to me, kind of like the fireplace in my Floridian house too, considering that it is a sauna outside for eight months of the year here. But that's how much we Canadians love your saunas!

Sauna is wonderful - in a cold climate. I never use in summer. Like you, I don't get the point.

But in winter it is magical, and very much a part of our day-to-day culture. It's something we do as families and with friends, and it is lovely.

No doubt you guys have a good climate for sauna!

btw - My favourite Canadian product is the Tragically Hip! I love those guys!

Yes, everyone here has access to healthcare. Patients pay a token fee for services - for instance, a night in hospital currently costs something like €28.

The level of care is exceptional. In my experience it is completely world class. There can be minor delays for surgery, but generally the queues are quite short, and research shows most people are very satisfied with the level of service.

When I've followed he debate in the US I have been shocked and extremely disappointed that conservatives have taken such a negative and counter-productive approach. Universal healthcare here is excellent and efficient - and costs less per capita than the US system. That doesn't mean the US should copy us - it is up to American voters to decide that - but it does mean conservatives should accept the strengths and validity of universal health care as a concept.

We also have free dentistry and psychiatric care.

The way you explain it makes it sound like the healthcare itself is what is provided. In my mind, that would be healthcare reform here. What is being debated here is not healthcare reform at all, but rather insurance premium regulation.

One of the problems with the presentation of the debate is the innaccuracy of what is being debated. This is not universal care at all. It is universal access to reasonably priced health care insurance. This will mandate both the payment of insurance premiums and, when care is received, also a payment to the doctors.

Dentistry and psychiatric care are not included. It sounds as if on demand abortions will be.

The cost of the care in the USA, which you say is already higher than the care in Finland, will increase by 1 trillion dollars over the six years of the proposed plan when the added insureds are initially in the system.

What portion of taxes are allocated to support the costs of healthcare not covered by the nominal payments per visit?

Hi everyone,

Finland eh. I guess I can't complain about the two feet of snow we are getting right now in the DC metro area. :lol:

Welcome oh purveyor of leftist media conspiracy propaganda. :eusa_whistle:

Hi everyone,

So..da fin is finally here? Velcome tooda board...da message board dat is...Ve have da best any fin could hope for here.

I hope you enjoy your stay as much as I enjoyed the Delta Sly Lounge in Tokyo while typing this.

Now it's time to crank up da band and sing...

...I'll be home for Christmas....if da plane verks all da way tooda gate.

What kind of journalism do you specialize in? I know you don't know everything there is to know about everything there is.

Last edited:
164000.1.jpg

would make a great avatar.

Welcome

Forum List

Back