Greetings from Arkansas

Just joined and am checking out the site. I was born and raised in west Texas, have lived in Arkansas, home of the Razorbacks, for the past 17 years.

I love riding my motorcycle in these hills and getting out among the rivers and woods that we enjoy so much of around here.

Hope to get acquainted with some of you.

Wooo pig sooie!!

Yes!! Hoping for some wins this year - we're due a good season. Did you graduate from here?

That's really odd since, here in West Texas where I'm at, there's been well above average rainfall. We're 5-6 inches already ahead of the average for the entire year.

It's south central Texas, where the ballyhooed drought is.

Where are you, in west Texas?
Yeah, check your reputation comments. You'll see where I clued you in on that in private.

Gotcha! That's farther than my family lives. My sis and parents now live in Eden, more the heart of Texas. They've had some rain, but not as much as other parts of the area. I visited with some kin folks from the San Antonia area a couple of weeks ago and they said it's really bad there.

Where are you, in west Texas?
Yeah, check your reputation comments. You'll see where I clued you in on that in private.

Gotcha! That's farther than my family lives. My sis and parents now live in Eden, more the heart of Texas. They've had some rain, but not as much as other parts of the area. I visited with some kin folks from the San Antonia area a couple of weeks ago and they said it's really bad there.
Not after last night and the rest of this week it appears.

I haven't paid attention to their weather this week. That's great if they're getting the rain!

I grew up hearing it every year about how badly we needed rain. It is what it is and it's a dry part of the country.

I haven't paid attention to their weather this week. That's great if they're getting the rain!

I grew up hearing it every year about how badly we needed rain. It is what it is and it's a dry part of the country.
South central Texas isn't as dry as West Texas. That's why all the outcry and the media exaggerating the problem but somehow leaving out that 90% of the state is wetter than usual.

South central Texas isn't as dry as West Texas. That's why all the outcry and the media exaggerating the problem but somehow leaving out that 90% of the state is wetter than usual.

I guess drought and ails make better stories, unfortunately.

The first time I took my husband to west Texas to meet the family, I warned him about how dry and dusty it was. This was two springs ago, when west Texas got unusual amounts of rain. The further we drove, the more he thought I had lied to him...LOL It was lush and green, wildflowers everywhere. I hardly recognized it myself. It does seem it's feast or famine in that part of the world.

Greetings from another transplanted Texan living here in Fayetteville! I'm from east Texas though, the Spring/Woodlands/Houston area. Welcome to the board!

• Thanks
Reactions: Jon
Greetings from another transplanted Texan living here in Fayetteville! I'm from east Texas though, the Spring/Woodlands/Houston area. Welcome to the board!

You came for the trees but stayed for the water?

Huh? There were plenty of trees where I came from, The Woodlands. More like, 'came here for school, stayed b/c found a good job.'

East Texas is covered in trees - no one ever believes me when I tell them that.... :confused:

Howdy! One of the things I miss the most about west Texas is the friendly "howdy wave" you get when you meet other drivers on the road. Midland-Odessa area? I grew up in San Angelo.
I actually haven't lived here that long. Came for the job, stayed for the hospitality ;) San Angelo's one city I haven't had a chance to see yet, and along with Marfa and Amarillo I plan to visit them someday before I have to move on.

A lot of people tend to pity me when I say I'm from west Texas. Just the contrary, IMO. I love the people and openness. I miss the sunsets. I can't see them too good from here.

I don't get what the bad rep is about either. It is dry and too hot in the summer but the people here are great, the land's wide open in most spots and at least between Midland and Odessa I have just about everything I want, and within a drive I can get a good hill or a mountain or a cave... all that's missing is good Chinese and Indian food, but I can get that when I visit my family so...

I work for the Air Force ROTC office here. It's a great job, too.

I agree with you about the ride and it clearing your head. I can be having the worst day ever, and climb onto "Ruby" and take off and within minutes, everything's okay. My bike is a Honda Shadow Spirit 750. I love Harleys, too, but this bike was the best choice for me, overall. I've got three other lady friends who ride the same model. We refer to ourselves as the "Shadow Sisters"....:)

Is that you and your bike in your avatar? Looks like a great place to ride... Texas?

My bike is a 2006 Harley Davidson, 35th Anniversary, Dyna, Super Glide, number 0793 of only 3500 made.

That's me and my bike, but it's here in Arkansas, overlooking the Mulberry river. Where I grew up (in Texas), we don't have views like that.

Your bike is awesome. I like the Dynas and Heritage bikes the best.

The Heritage Classic is a Softail bike with balancers in the engine. They don't rev as fast or as high as the Dyna or touring bikes which don't have the balancers in the engine. You don't get the "Milwaukee vibrator" effect from the Softails either, if you know what I mean... :D

I retired from Harley Davidson as a Master Technician.

That part of Arkansas in your pic looks a whole lot like much of Wisconsin. The weather has been absolutely beautiful up here and today, it was like every person that owned a bike was out riding. I had to take my son and his fiance back home and missed out... :mad:

Keep it in the wind Kim... :)

Last edited:

Nice to meet you, Dirk. There seem to be a number of us transplants up here, huh? My husband is from southeast Texas, near the Shreveport area.

You came for the trees but stayed for the water?

Huh? There were plenty of trees where I came from, The Woodlands. More like, 'came here for school, stayed b/c found a good job.'

East Texas is covered in trees - no one ever believes me when I tell them that.... :confused:

It's true....the piney woods. Where I grew up, in west Texas, is where the trees are scarce. Unless you count the mesquites, and some pretty good size live oaks.

I actually haven't lived here that long. Came for the job, stayed for the hospitality ;) San Angelo's one city I haven't had a chance to see yet, and along with Marfa and Amarillo I plan to visit them someday before I have to move on.

A lot of people tend to pity me when I say I'm from west Texas. Just the contrary, IMO. I love the people and openness. I miss the sunsets. I can't see them too good from here.

I don't get what the bad rep is about either. It is dry and too hot in the summer but the people here are great, the land's wide open in most spots and at least between Midland and Odessa I have just about everything I want, and within a drive I can get a good hill or a mountain or a cave... all that's missing is good Chinese and Indian food, but I can get that when I visit my family so...

I'm glad you appreciate the good things about that part of the country. It's hard to describe to someone who hasn't experienced it. You miss good Chinese and Indian food, I miss good mexican food and BBQ.

Is that you and your bike in your avatar? Looks like a great place to ride... Texas?

My bike is a 2006 Harley Davidson, 35th Anniversary, Dyna, Super Glide, number 0793 of only 3500 made.

That's me and my bike, but it's here in Arkansas, overlooking the Mulberry river. Where I grew up (in Texas), we don't have views like that.

Your bike is awesome. I like the Dynas and Heritage bikes the best.

The Heritage Classic is a Softail bike with balancers in the engine. They don't rev as fast or as high as the Dyna or touring bikes which don't have the balancers in the engine. You don't get the "Milwaukee vibrator" effect from the Softails either, if you know what I mean... :D

I retired from Harley Davidson as a Master Technician.

That part of Arkansas in your pic looks a whole lot like much of Wisconsin. The weather has been absolutely beautiful up here and today, it was like every person that owned a bike was out riding. I had to take my son and his fiance back home and missed out... :mad:

Keep it in the wind Kim... :)

I like the way the Heritage Softails look, and it was the first Harley I ever got to ride on, so I fell in love with it. I don't like the Fatboys so much. I'm impressed with your history. That had to be an awesome job - plus, knowing how to work on a Harley is always a good thing, huh? Just kidding....I have to rib my Harley riding friends about their bikes always seeming to need work. I've had very little trouble out of my Honda.

Forum List

Back