Green Energy wont work - Who are you kidding?

Green energy will only work when it sits on the roof of my house, has a reasonable price per kw, and lets me disconnect from the grid. It will be a long time coming since there would be no monthly billing, nothing for the government to tax (although I am sure they will try), and we need to develop much better storage capabilities. Green energy will work when its saves us "green". Pappadave.

Green energy will only work when it sits on the roof of my house, has a reasonable price per kw, and lets me disconnect from the grid. It will be a long time coming since there would be no monthly billing, nothing for the government to tax (although I am sure they will try), and we need to develop much better storage capabilities. Green energy will work when its saves us "green". Pappadave.

All those things are already happening. Where have you been, Rip?!?! :cool:

Only with Government subsidies.

I've seen people who've done it on their own. You can actually hook up to the grid and SELL your extra energy. If that doesn't knock down some of the cost, I don't know what will.

I've seen people who've done it on their own. You can actually hook up to the grid and SELL your extra energy. If that doesn't knock down some of the cost, I don't know what will.

This is correct... They're called feed-in tarrifs.

As to the poster above you, don't the fossil fuel industries get the biggest government subsidies?

Last edited:

As to the poster above you, don't the fossil fuel industries get the biggest government subsidies?

Yes they did, and still do (sort of) and that is another subject and why I prefer the next generation of energy be Government free.

I support green energy. I just want it to stand on its on merits. One of the reasons for getting off the grid is its massive vulnerability. One small overload at Niagara Falls caused a blackout all over the northeast states. A similar failure in the Midwest (I think Ohio) did the same thing. A large EMP would shutdown virtually the entire system. If all of our homes were independently powered, at least some would still function. Pay-back tariffs are too low. When the utility pays us what they claim it costs them to produce power, You could justify the higher capital costs for a larger home system. Pappadave.

When i went to Oregon a few weeks ago, i was amazed at how many people care about the environment and recycle. Here in Las Vegas everyone waste ALOT of stuff..from all the food at the buffets every night to almost no one recycling bottles and plastic. I wish more people cared about this issue, its kinda a BIG deal...:(

Yes they did, and still do (sort of) and that is another subject and why I prefer the next generation of energy be Government free.

In other words, handicap it until the corperations figure out a way to outlaw it.

Ollie, the world has been moving on while you have been asleep.

Solar Panels - Sunelec : Solar Panels 97¢/W, PV Systems $2.40/W

GET OUR EXCELLENT PRICES BY THE MODULE

SUN Solar Laminates

Laminates are modules that are ready to be framed (if desired) and have junction boxes (J-Boxes) added (pretty much required). Laminates do not need to be framed in order to be used. Keep in mind, however, they are for off-grid applications. Their lifetime is excellent and their power output is the same. They also include a 20 year warranty. Be careful as they are more susceptible damage due to the edges being unprotected. The modules we sell without J-Boxes, both framed and laminates, require you to design and attach your own waterproof J-Box. You can get parts from an electrical supplier or just Google it on the web. There are dozens of suppliers and they are cheap.

Model Number Specifications Price Price Per Watt Qty
01SUN-40 33 x 26 40 Watt, 2.20 Imp, 18.00 Vmp $ 38.80 $ 0.97 14
07SUN-60 31 3/4" x 63 1/2" 60 Watt, 5.45 Imp, 10.96 Vmp $ 58.20 $ 0.97 22
09SUN-35 27 5/8" x 20 1/2" 35 Watt, 1.98 Imp, 15.30 Vmp $ 33.95 $ 0.97 52
12SUN-50 30 1/2" x 25 7/8" 50 Watt, 2.64 Imp, 15.30 Vmp $ 48.50 $ 0.97 1
16SUN-80 58" x 26" 80 Watt, 3.96 Imp, 16.20 Vmp $ 77.60 $ 0.97 22
17SUN-110 581/8" x 38 1/4" 110 Watt, 5.62 Imp, 16.20 Vmp $ 106.70 $ 0.97 33
05SUN-55 62" x 31" 55 Watt, 3.90 Imp, 11.70 Vmp $ 53.35 $ 0.97 13
10SUN-50 38 7/8" x 25 3/4" 50 Watt, 2.70 Imp, 15.30 Vmp $ 48.50 $ 0.97 45
10SUN-45 33 3/4" x 25 3/4" 45 Watt, 2.48 Imp, 15.30 Vmp $ 43.65 $ 0.97 2
12SUN-40 33 1/2" x 25 3/4" 40 Watt, 2.25 Imp, 15.30 Vmp $ 38.80 $ 0.97 134
09SUN-60 39" x 26" 60 Watt, 3.33 Imp, 14.40 Vmp $ 58.20 $ 0.97 2
06SUN-140 58 1/4" x 38 1/4" 140 Watt, 7.12 Imp, 16.20 Vmp $ 135.80 $ 0.97 16
07SUN-45 31" x 61" 45 Watt, 1.89 Imp, 19.26 Vmp $ 43.65 $ 0.97 3
03SUN-155 42" x 31" 155 Watt, 3.32 Imp, 38.70 Vmp $ 150.35 $ 0.97 1
11SUN-75 57 3/4" x 25 3/4" 75 Watt, 4.10 Imp, 15.30 Vmp $ 72.75 $ 0.97 36
07SUN-65 31 3/4" x 63 1/2" 65 Watt, 4.67 Imp, 11.66 Vmp $ 63.05 $ 0.97 7
12SUN-40 38 7/8" x 29 3/4" 40 Watt, 2.28 Imp, 14.40 Vmp $ 38.80 $ 0.97 1
09SUN-60 33 1/2" x 25 3/4" 60 Watt, 2.97 Imp, 16.20 Vmp $ 58.20 $ 0.97 5

I support green energy. I just want it to stand on its on merits. One of the reasons for getting off the grid is its massive vulnerability. One small overload at Niagara Falls caused a blackout all over the northeast states. A similar failure in the Midwest (I think Ohio) did the same thing. A large EMP would shutdown virtually the entire system. If all of our homes were independently powered, at least some would still function. Pay-back tariffs are too low. When the utility pays us what they claim it costs them to produce power, You could justify the higher capital costs for a larger home system. Pappadave.

Note the costs in this site.

Solar Panels - $1.55/W solar panels! Free Solar Panel Survey

Now you can have your cake and eat it, also. You can have a storage bank of batteries that your sytem keeps charged, and also be connected to the grid. With a 5 kw system, you should be able to make money on the escess energy that you create. Actually, today, the storage batteries would be the most expensive part of your system. Perhaps, at present, the most economical thing to do would be to do a grid-tie system, and have a gas or diesel generator backup.

There is no such thing as "Green Renewable Energy",

How will you make your solar panel, what are the materials, how do you get those materials, how much of the materials do you need, how much total waste is involved.

You have to use fossil fuel at a faster rate to make solar panels that produce less energy than using the fossil fuel directly to produce electricity.

Renewable, the solar panels need to be replaced, again using more fossil energy.

Further, the original panels become garbage, thousands of square miles of garbage, thousands more square miles of garbage than burning coal for the equivalent amount of electricity.

No such thing as Green

The point is, if we are debating the merits of reducing our dependency on oil and reduce coal fired plants, an electric car that will have a rechargeable battery, that will be recharged with energy from either of those sources, seem to nullify the goals of reducing anything.

Rather than try to social engineer our country or do something for political reasons, we should be smart about reducing our dependency and not just go around in circles.

Do you know how much oil/coal/electricity is required to charge lithium ion batteries for cars?

No. I would like to see actual facts and figures supported by neutral sources. My point is, we don't currently use that power source for automobiles but with the advent of electric cars, will. No matter how low the usage is, it will still be added to the amount already used for everything else; so we will yet increase our usage more. BTW, where do the spent batteries go?

The point is, if we are debating the merits of reducing our dependency on oil and reduce coal fired plants, an electric car that will have a rechargeable battery, that will be recharged with energy from either of those sources, seem to nullify the goals of reducing anything.

Rather than try to social engineer our country or do something for political reasons, we should be smart about reducing our dependency and not just go around in circles.

Do you know how much oil/coal/electricity is required to charge lithium ion batteries for cars?

No. I would like to see actual facts and figures supported by neutral sources. My point is, we don't currently use that power source for automobiles but with the advent of electric cars, will. No matter how low the usage is, it will still be added to the amount already used for everything else; so we will yet increase our usage more. BTW, where do the spent batteries go?

If all cars ran on electricity gas would be a toxic waste that we would have to burn to get rid of.

If all cars ran on electricity gas would be a toxic waste that we would have to burn to get rid of.

Seems you were unable to answer your own question. If all cars ran on electricity, the cost would skyrocket, the infrastructure for the charging stations in all 50 states would more than likely come out of higher taxes and again, what do we do with the spent batteries?

There is no such thing as Green Energy, the manufacturer of Solar Panels requires massive amounts of Fossil Energy.

Solar panels cannot be built with solar energy, solar energy cannot produce that kind of power.

Solar panels have short lifespans, we will have to throw the old ones in the garbage and use massive amounts of fossil energy to build new ones.

Solar panels require millions of gallons of water every year, solar energy is to weak to pump water, the water needed will be pumped with fossil energy, a hidden subsidy.

We must use more fossil energy at a faster rate than we use today to make more solar panels and to service solar farms.

Solar energy is not Green.

There is no such thing as Green Energy.

I have a Skystream but prefer these.
15KW
Costs about a grand to build them.

I have a buddy that built a ten footer. 100KW. Powers the whole damn pueblo for free.

Attachments

• $waterwheel.jpg
    $waterwheel.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 125
I have a Skystream but prefer these.
15KW
Costs about a grand to build them.

I have a buddy that built a ten footer. 100KW. Powers the whole damn pueblo for free.

Great, that cheap and so powerful, the debate is over, everyone will buy them, I will go to Harbor Freight tomorrow and get ten.

Nothing will win the debate easier than a cheap source of power, everyone will obviously want at least two, need one for back-up. Should be available fast, what corporation would not want to sell billions of these.

Forum List

Back