Greed, ignorance, hysteria and chaos

∑₭o Đ∆Żə;2768375 said:
The death of global leadership?

????

First tell me when global leadership began.

First, let's implant a brian into your skull.

Would a monkey's fit?

What do the 20 million people without jobs do in the meantime, as companies sit on their piles of cash?

They get off their butt and work.

IGNORANCE:

There really are no simple black or white solutions (metaphorically) that can immediately remedy the vast ideological differences between the left and the right over a myriad of problem issues, so pretending there will be some grand solutions if one party or the other is in control is irrational at best and downright stupid at worst.

I agree.

HYSTERIA:

Just because everything isn't going YOUR way, throwing hissy fits, going on malevolent vendettas, gathering weapons and whipping up frenzies which results in mob mentality only postpones real solutions.

So we should make things worse instead?

CHAOS:

Time doesn't stand still. The same problems become the same problems only bigger while political battles rage on, day after day, which does nothing but create gridlock amid the chaos.

Then stop spending us to oblivion and we wont have that problem getting bigger.
Stop funding social problems when we dont have money and we dont have that problem
Stop pretending government is the solution instead of the problem and we wont have that problem getting bigger.

In my opinion. As all the shouting makes its way into 24/7 news cycles, other countries see what's going on through the same venues, and the image of the United States as a strong and compromising democracy, always able to overcome internal divergences (and looked upon to take the lead for the rest of the world to emulate) ultimately will be reversed and we will be seen as weak and vulnerable to those who would love to take our place at the top.

We aren't a Democracy. And we sure as heck aren't strong when we pay for failing and unnecessary programs on the backs of our children and grandchildren.

Its about time this nation stopped looking for the easy way out and started working their butts off.

If you're out of work find a job or create one.
If you need health care, buy it yourself or get family support
If you aren't sure how to do something: Learn
Stop expecting the government to fulfilly promises it can't possibly fulfill.

There is a great Simpsons episode which points out the absurdity of expecting the government to do everything. One where Homer gets elected Commissioner in charge of garbage pick up.

Not a global issue.
Brazil, Russia, China and India are doing fine.

I wonder why:

The talks between Obama and Wen came as U.S. lawmakers appeared to move closer than ever to acting on long-standing threats to pass legislation that would penalize China for keeping its currency artificially low.

Critics inside and outside Congress say China deliberately undervalues its currency by as much as 25 percent to 40 percent to give Chinese companies an unfair trade advantage, hurting U.S. exports and employment

Ya think Barak Hussein can get his ChiCom buddies to play fair before 2012?

They'll try. The bill in the House is fairly well supported by most smaller businesses, and so a handful of Republican House members also support it. But a number of larger American businesses belonging to the U.S.-China Business Council, oppose the bill. Companies like WalMart, Intel, HP, Exxon-Mobil, Boeing, which are heavily invested in China as manufacturers or retailers, are more closely aligned with China's economy than with America's. Companies like that have long ago ceased to be interested in domestic growth when the Chinese economy is exploding and they will continue to use their resources to build, buy and sell over there.

GREED:

Companies won't hire until the economy recovers. And the economy won't recover until businesses start hiring. Companies argue they face uncertainties and government shouldn't add to them. If there's so much uncertainty, why did corporate profits hit an all-time high of $1.37 trillion in the first quarter?

What do the 20 million people without jobs do in the meantime, as companies sit on their piles of cash?

IGNORANCE:

There really are no simple black or white solutions (metaphorically) that can immediately remedy the vast ideological differences between the left and the right over a myriad of problem issues, so pretending there will be some grand solutions if one party or the other is in control is irrational at best and downright stupid at worst.

HYSTERIA:

Just because everything isn't going YOUR way, throwing hissy fits, going on malevolent vendettas, gathering weapons and whipping up frenzies which results in mob mentality only postpones real solutions.

CHAOS:

Time doesn't stand still. The same problems become the same problems only bigger while political battles rage on, day after day, which does nothing but create gridlock amid the chaos.

In my opinion. As all the shouting makes its way into 24/7 news cycles, other countries see what's going on through the same venues, and the image of the United States as a strong and compromising democracy, always able to overcome internal divergences (and looked upon to take the lead for the rest of the world to emulate) ultimately will be reversed and we will be seen as weak and vulnerable to those who would love to take our place at the top.

Well darling doo doo head. youse should of thought all this bullshit out before your started demonizing. Whte people, rich people, banks, insurance companies, doctors, hospitals, wall street bankers and ceo's. Then maybe the companies would not be sitting on their cash err ass and NOT hiring. Maybe doo doo head marixist demonRats if you hadn't a done that shit this wouldn't have happened.. ya see?

Huh? :cuckoo: Youse will hafta splane yerself mo betta, woman.

Well darling doo doo head. youse should of thought all this bullshit out before your started demonizing. Whte people, rich people, banks, insurance companies, doctors, hospitals, wall street bankers and ceo's. Then maybe the companies would not be sitting on their cash err ass and NOT hiring. Maybe doo doo head marixist demonRats if you hadn't a done that shit this wouldn't have happened.. ya see?

Incomprehensibe, yet strangely likeable.:tongue:

Try translating. I'm seriously curious.

Why does everyone assume small businesses need to constantly borrow money for operating capital.?

When we opened, we leased all our equipment with a 4 or 5 year one dollar buy out at the end.

Vendors gave us all kinds of delayed billing and other incentives. We had 50K in cash saved for our initial expenses but we barely touched that because the business was self sustaining after a couple months.

If you as a business owner constantly need to borrow money, you're doing something wrong.

A letter of credit is always good insurance against a run of bad luck. I worked for a hugely successful law firm, but we still had a million or so in a floating loan that would cover draws and payroll if the bigger clients couldn't pay their bills at any given time. But I agree that many small businesses don't succeed BECAUSE they operate on a shoestring.

Sitting on a big pile of cash is 1000 times better.

You have destroyed the premise of your own OP.

How does sitting on cash help anyone except when you're drunk and tell your drunken friend the secret hiding place? Then giggle.

The entire global economy operates on credit. The problem with businesses sitting on over $3 trillion in cash is that the money ISN'T just "sitting there," but being invested in foreign markets (as usual) and not in the United States. So the cash piles just keep mounting. And, as I previously said, in the meantime, the unemployment lines remain, and those folks continue to live off government subsidies which, ironically, those same businesses are indirectly paying for anyway. Why not just put the people to work?

∑₭o Đ∆Żə;2768375 said:

????

The death of AMERICA'S" global leadership." (These are toughies...)

∑₭o Đ∆Żə;2768375 said:

????

Would a monkey's fit?

Ah yes, leftist elitist snobbery casting insults down to the 'mental pigmies' below...

For those of you who don't understand what just happened (very few here, I'd imagine), the OP began her post with an assumption that's supposed to go unnoticed on the surface, but subliminally accepted as something that's already a 'given' (which, of course is anything but true). "Fabio" above did what they're supposed to do when some detail or seam is noticed or questioned: you hammer it down with insults and ridicule, shaming the person for daring to question.

*See Communist Manifesto

:clap2:

∑₭o Đ∆Żə;2768595 said:
∑₭o Đ∆Żə;2768375 said:

????

Would a monkey's fit?

Ah yes, leftist elitist snobbery casting insults down to the 'mental pigmies' below...

For those of you who don't understand what just happened (very few here, I'd imagine), the OP began her post with an assumption that's supposed to go unnoticed on the surface, but subliminally accepted as something that's already a 'given' (which, of course is anything but true). "Fabio" above did what they're supposed to do when some detail or seam is noticed or questioned: you hammer it down with insults and ridicule, shaming the person for daring to question.

*See Communist Manifesto

Perhaps you're right, and I was too hasty.

Please ask more stupid questions.:lol:

They get off their butt and work.

IGNORANCE:

I agree.

So we should make things worse instead?

CHAOS:

Then stop spending us to oblivion and we wont have that problem getting bigger.
Stop funding social problems when we dont have money and we dont have that problem
Stop pretending government is the solution instead of the problem and we wont have that problem getting bigger.

We aren't a Democracy. And we sure as heck aren't strong when we pay for failing and unnecessary programs on the backs of our children and grandchildren.

Its about time this nation stopped looking for the easy way out and started working their butts off.

If you're out of work find a job or create one.
If you need health care, buy it yourself or get family support
If you aren't sure how to do something: Learn
Stop expecting the government to fulfilly promises it can't possibly fulfill.

There is a great Simpsons episode which points out the absurdity of expecting the government to do everything. One where Homer gets elected Commissioner in charge of garbage pick up.

My OP was meant to address the immediate problems, not the 100-year old ideological disputes, which is what you cover. There are reasons for the actions taken in the last two years, and if you don't understand that, you're part of the group that is ignorant of the cause and effect of the worst economic downturn since the Great Depression. We can argue ideologies 'till pigs fly (and we will), but talking the same old talk is like riding a Merry-Go-Round ad infinitum with nobody willing to jump off and slow it down.

And by the way, the United States was founded as a DEMOCRATIC Republic. I'm sick of hearing THAT as some sort of valid talking point, too.

∑₭o Đ∆Żə;2768595 said:

Would a monkey's fit?

*See Communist Manifesto

You were much too hasty, and your insults only continue. Only a person who has something to fear is so quick to lash out with insults. This reveals your underlying insecurities. Perhaps you have more?

A letter of credit is always good insurance against a run of bad luck. I worked for a hugely successful law firm, but we still had a million or so in a floating loan that would cover draws and payroll if the bigger clients couldn't pay their bills at any given time. But I agree that many small businesses don't succeed BECAUSE they operate on a shoestring.

How does sitting on cash help anyone except when you're drunk and tell your drunken friend the secret hiding place? Then giggle.

The entire global economy operates on credit. The problem with businesses sitting on over $3 trillion in cash is that the money ISN'T just "sitting there," but being invested in foreign markets (as usual) and not in the United States. So the cash piles just keep mounting. And, as I previously said, in the meantime, the unemployment lines remain, and those folks continue to live off government subsidies which, ironically, those same businesses are indirectly paying for anyway. Why not just put the people to work?

For the same reason businesses are stockpiling cash, uncertainty.

Obama and the democrats bash business at every opportunity...then complain that business isn't spending enough. :cuckoo:

∑₭o Đ∆Żə;2768630 said:
∑₭o Đ∆Żə;2768595 said:

*See Communist Manifesto

You were much too hasty, and your insults only continue. Only a person who has something to fear is so quick to lash out with insults. This reveals your underlying insecurities. Perhaps you have more?

Isn't it dangerous to combine your stupidity with curiousity?

∑₭o Đ∆Żə;2768630 said:

Isn't it dangerous to combine your stupidity with curiousity?

You couldn't be finished there...

∑₭o Đ∆Żə;2768595 said:
∑₭o Đ∆Żə;2768375 said:

????

Would a monkey's fit?

*See Communist Manifesto

Holy crap, has Dude got a another sock puppet? There was nothing subtle or subliminal in my OP. It was put there to open a discussion. Isn't that what this forum is all about? If not, please clarify what its purpose is.

Obama and the democrats bash business at every opportunity...then complain that business isn't spending enough. :cuckoo:

Give examples of where and how they have "bashed" business, other than Wall Street. There have been more credits and perks provided for small businesses than ever, JUST to give them a boost. And that's the reason why Obama and the Democrats complain that they STILL aren't hiring. What more do they want? They will never get a 100% assurance that they will forever see their profits mount. No administration can guarantee such a thing.

I’m sure many people don’t remember a time when there was really responsible news and commentary. We haven’t seen it in many years. There was a time when the media asked the question, is this the right thing to do? Today the question is will this increase my audience? There has always been biased in the media but what’s new is the complete fabrication of stories, and not just misinterpretation of the facts but also the manufacture of facts. It has become commonplace for respectable media outlets to spread gossip. Our media paints the United States as a corrupt country led by fools and scoundrels with an inept government, and a people that are bigoted and stupid.

The media in the days of FDR, Eisenhower, or Kennedy would have never allowed the type of slander and verbal abuse we direct against Bush and Obama. Today, you can say nothing that is too vile, vicious or obscene. When FDR was president, the press corp. accepted the requests from the Whitehouse to not photograph the president in a wheelchair because it would create an image of our president as a crippled and weak leader. Well we have come a long way. I just don’t know if it’s in the right direction.

I’m sure many people don’t remember a time when there was really responsible news and commentary. We haven’t seen it in many years. There was a time when the media asked the question, is this the right thing to do? Today the question is will this increase my audience? There has always been biased in the media but what’s new is the complete fabrication of stories, and not just misinterpretation of the facts but also the manufacture of facts. It has become commonplace for respectable media outlets to spread gossip. Our media paints the United States as a corrupt country led by fools and scoundrels with an inept government, and a people that are bigoted and stupid.

The media in the days of FDR, Eisenhower, or Kennedy would have never allowed the type of slander and verbal abuse we direct against Bush and Obama. Today, you can say nothing that is too vile, vicious or obscene. When FDR was president, the press corp. accepted the requests from the Whitehouse to not photograph the president in a wheelchair because it would create an image of our president as a crippled and weak leader. Well we have come a long way. I just don’t know if it’s in the right direction.

The thing is we all know what the media has become (at least cable news), and yet so many still can't seem to sort out the jibberjabber from fact. It has gotten better, though, I'd say in the last year because I see fewer blog entries used as "sources" which is encouraging. Unless blogs or news and opinion outlets cite THEIR sources, their statements should always be scrutinized for accuracy.

Give examples of where and how they have "bashed" business, other than Wall Street. There have been more credits and perks provided for small businesses than ever, JUST to give them a boost. And that's the reason why Obama and the Democrats complain that they STILL aren't hiring. What more do they want? They will never get a 100% assurance that they will forever see their profits mount. No administration can guarantee such a thing.

The answers you seek are a single search away:
U.S. Chamber echoes anti-business attacks on Obama, Democrats

By Walter Alarkon - 07/14/10 12:23 PM ET
The U.S. Chamber of Commerce is blasting the Obama administration and congressional Democrats for policies it says are expanding government and hindering an economic recovery.
The powerful business lobby group said Democrats and the White House have “neglected America’s number one priority” — creating jobs.
“Instead of continuing their partnership with the business community and embracing proven ideas for job creation, they vilified industries while embarking on an ill-advised course of government expansion, major tax increases, massive deficits, and job-destroying regulations,” the chamber wrote in an open letter to President Obama and lawmakers.

U.S. Chamber echoes anti-business attacks on Obama, Democrats - TheHill.com
White House and Business Leaders: A Rocky Relationship

No relationship in Washington may be more fickle than that of the White House and the business community.
Last month, at the White House's request, the Business Roundtable and the Business Council sent a 54-page report to the Obama administration outlining what regulations and pending legislation have hurt economic recovery.
"We believe the cumulative effect of these proposals will help defeat the objectives we all share -- reducing unemployment, improving the competitiveness of U.S. companies, and creating an environment that fosters long-term economic growth," wrote Ivan Seidenberg, the CEO of Verizon and the Chairman of the Business Roundtable, and James Owens, the CEO of Caterpillar and the Chairman of the Business Council.

White House and Business Leaders: A Rocky Relationship - Political Hotsheet - CBS News
Obama's Problem With Business

Barack Obama is the most anti-business president in a generation, perhaps in American history. Thanks to him the era of big government is back. Obama runs up taxpayer debt not in the billions but in the trillions. He has expanded the U.S. government's control over home mortgages, investment banking, health care, autos and energy. The Weekly Standard summarizes Obama's approach as omnipotence at home, impotence abroad.

Obama's Problem With Business - Forbes.com
And there are thousands more...this is simply a minuscule sampling.

Last edited:

The thing is we all know what the media has become (at least cable news), and yet so many still can't seem to sort out the jibberjabber from fact. It has gotten better, though, I'd say in the last year because I see fewer blog entries used as "sources" which is encouraging. Unless blogs or news and opinion outlets cite THEIR sources, their statements should always be scrutinized for accuracy.
TV, radio, newspapers, and magazines still shoot at some semblance of responsible journalist although it seems to be disappearing. Getting news, information, and commentary off the Internet is like listening to conversation at a bar. You never know if there is any true to what you hear. There are of course fairly reliable news outlets on the Net, however these seem to be moving toward more advertising, reader opinion and less real information and expert opinions. For younger people, the Internet is replacing newspaper, TV, books and magazines for news, information, and commentary.

Forum List

Back